Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loss Of Power, Terrible Fuel Mileage, Excessive Engine Heat, Front Wheel Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 03:14 PM
6bull
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Loss Of Power, Terrible Fuel Mileage, Excessive Engine Heat, Front Wheel Bearing

I'll start at the beginning, hopefully my problems will help someone else.

I bought a used 2009 Electra Glide Ultra Classic from an Indy in February 2012, learned to ride all over again as the last time I rode was on a 125 cc dirt bike back in 1976. Man I love riding this beast, I'm on top of the world, what power, comfortable, getting 44 mph, can't get any better than this. Can't wait to go on poker runs, maybe ride somewhere on vacation.

First poker run I go to, I see a person pulling a trailer, I want one of those. I get on HD Forums and search trailers. Looked at the threads, research trailers and bought a trailer. I get a hitch, wiring harness, pull trailer around to get use to it. Trailer pulls good, no problems.

Wife and I hop on scooter one weekend, going to eat at a town 120+ miles east of here. While heading east I notice the scooter seems to be lacking power, pulling down on some mild hills. Never did pull down riding those same hills before. We get 60 miles, I notice I'm at 1/2 on the fuel gauge, scratching my head, go another 55+ miles down the road and my fuel light comes on. We have lunch, get back on the road, soon the day heats up, summer time, nice and hot. The temperature is 100+, I can feel the heat off the engine. Get home check the oil temperature on the digital oil level/temperature dipstick (not sure of correct reading) showing 270 degrees.

I get on HD Forums, search oil coolers. I buy an oil cooler, install on scooter, figure can't hurt. A cooler engine runs better I'm thinking. I get out on the road in the summer heat, oil temperature is down to 240 to 250 degrees.

Head out on another poker run, still lacking power, mileage plain sucks. I stop at an Indy, tell the service writer what my problems are, he comes out looks at my scooter, asks me to start it. He tells me the baffles are knocked out, there is no back pressure, that will cause a performance issue. He tells me I need new mufflers, new headers, high flow air cleaner, stage 1, fuelpak, blah blah this blah blah that. Total is going to cost $4000. I told him I'd think about it, finish the poker run, head back to the house. I get back on HD Forums, search slip-on mufflers. I end up buying Screamin Eagle slip-on mufflers. Get out ride around, still lacking power, get back on HD Forums, look up flashing ECM as someone mentioned this.

I make an appointment with another Indy, telling them of lacking power and poor fuel mileage, they hook up the scooter, say the ECM had an old code. They flash the ECM with a code, get back to riding, runs a bit better but still lacking power and mileage. I make another appointment to run a Dyno, test comes back AFR 13.9 to 14.1, Torque 55 ft. lbs. to 75 ft. lbs. and 60 HP. Mechanic tells me this is normal for stock. I'm scratching my head again, nothing makes sense, power and mileage just doesn't go down like that without a reason.

I go back to HD Forums, search loss of power, poor mileage. Every search brings up Power Commander, ThunderMax and Power Vision. I email a sponsor on HD Forums, tell him of my problems, even send him a copy of the Dyno test. He explains that my bike needs additional tuning. Very nice person, very knowledgeable of engines and getting power out of them. I buy a Power Vision thinking that down on power, engine works harder, running hotter. Stock Harley engines are programmed to run lean anyway. I install the Power Vision and head out on a short road trip. I switch to miles to empty on the odometer. It's at 156 miles to empty as I start, miles to empty are going up as I go down the road. Power seems to be better and mileage is getting better. I finish the trip but mileage isn't back to what it used to be and power seems a bit off still. The Power Vision definitely did help but feel there is something else.

I'm working on the scooter, relocating the air fill valve for the air shocks. I decide to check the air pressure in the tires as soon riding weather will be here. I put the scooter on the lift, spin the back tire to get to the valve stem, fill air. Go to the front tire, I can't hardly turn the front tire. Scratching my head again, call Indy asking them about front tire not turning freely. He tells me that with disc brakes there will be resistance as no springs to bull back the brake pads. I tell him that I know there will be resistance but not to the point where the wheel won't even turn. He then tells me that the wheel bearing might be bad causing the front wheel not to turn. I make an appointment in 2 weeks to have the wheel bearing checked and replaced. Well I get to thinking about the wheel bearing, I do remember that the scooter pushes real hard when I put it in the garage or push out of the garage, but never really thought about it as a bad wheel bearing. I just thought as heavy as the scooter is, the weight was the reason why it pushed hard.

Well I get back on HD Forums, search front wheel bearings, front brakes and front wheel turning hard. I found several threads on wheel bearing going bad on 2009's. I decide to take the front calipers off to check the wheel bearings. I pull the bolts out of the right caliper, caliper doesn't come off the rotor but the wheel spins by the weight of the rotor, caliper to bottom. The caliper is stuck on the rotor, I finally get the caliper off the rotor, the wheel spins nice and easy, a little bit of drag from the other caliper. I work the front brake, the pistons go out like they are suppose to, push the pistons back in with a pry bar. I try to put the caliper back on but won't go over the rotor. What the ****! The pistons are pushed back in, what the ****! I get out my magnifying glasses and headband spotlight. Hummmmmm brake pad is hanging up on something. I find a parts breakdown on HD Forums for the calipers, look over it, see that the pad is hanging up on the anti-rattle spring. The spring is bent a bit, catching the edge of the brake pad. I get out a screw driver and bend the spring, success! I bolt the caliper back on, wheel spins nice and free.

I'm waiting for the weather to get better, then going to take a short trip. I'm positive that the brake was the problem the whole time, but that problem got me a few extra's for my scooter. I guess I should of started on the bottom and worked up, checking the brakes first.

Sorry for the long thread but wanted to share my experience with my problems. I had the mechanics at several Indy's baffled also. Maybe they should search HD Forums to solve problems.

6bull

Old 03-17-2013, 03:44 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

good for you...now go tell them what you found and see what they say....it should be fun...

Old 03-17-2013, 05:29 PM
ftzoid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great story and great job - thanks!

Old 03-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Snowmaster113
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good to hear you figured it out and like you said got some goodies out of it as well. Sometimes the smallest thing will baffle everyone. I guess if you never had it on a stand and new to riding a bagger I can see this happening to just about anyone. Keep us posted when you get it out on the road.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:48 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check damage to the rotor (scored and / or warped) and the pads. That much running contact will probably have caused damage.

At least you are on the right track now, well done

Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Well done indeed.......looking forward to your post after you ride it.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:14 PM
basselope
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeez... you were one divorce and a dead dog away from a country western song!

Seen locked up calipers do the same thing on cars and trucks... and be just as elusive to find. As said, check for warped rotors before you get on her too hard or she just might throw you over the bars.

Thanks for sharing, and be sure to let us know the final outcome. I'm keepin' my fingers crossed for you!

Old 03-23-2013, 01:51 PM
6bull
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I was able to get out for a short ride, noticed that the scooter rolled out of the garage much easier. When coming up to a stoplight I noticed that I wasn't slowing down as before. Just thinking back, I remember that I didn't really need to brake while riding in town, just down shifting slowed me down with slight application of the brake to finish stopping.

I have 20,295 miles on the scooter and not knowing if the previous owner replaced the front brake pads, I decided to go ahead and replace them. I changed them this afternoon, the pads off the right side are really worn bad because of being stuck on the anti-rattle spring. I will try to post pictures of the brake pads later. After replacing the pads I rolled the front wheel by hand. Spins nice and free but hear the rotor dragging on one spot. I'm sure from the replies that I may have a warped rotor from the brake dragging. I'll have to check the rotor to see if indeed it's warped.

It's snowing as I'm posting my update, damn weather. I can't wait to get out on a longer road trip to see if my mileage does increase.

Thanks for the replies.

6bull

Old 03-23-2013, 02:39 PM
fastwalkin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write up, will file this info away, good job staying with it till you found it...cheers ..fastwalkin