Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1999 Road King

I am looking at picking up a 1999 Road King. It has 40,000 miles on it. Smells like it is burning oil. It is in pretty poor shape. "Ridden hard and put away wet" you might say. But, it runs. I would be looking at picking it up as a project bike. But, for 1500 bucks I am considering it. It has rust holes in the header from front to back. All the chrome is bad. Even the engine guards. It appears to have an oil leak but it may just be the oil filter. Front forks are almost without any cushion. Rear shocks shot. Paint is good. Saddlebag leather is in good shape. Very poor maintenance.

Who do you folks recommend for parts. I am hoping you have ideas other than HD. Or, EBay. I would want to do the work myself. I relax when I am doing such things.

My homework seems to indicate that the stock engine is an 88 engine. Am I correct? That seems to be the size for 1999. Instead if having the parts machined - can one have that done? - I would be thinking of buying jugs and pistons. Probably the next size up that would fit.

Is it common to have the heads worked over? Shaved to make sure they are flat? Have the valves worked? Or, just buy new complete heads?

Is this an EVO?

Any input would be appreciated.

Last edited by Matt0987; 03-26-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:59 PM
FattyMcDeuceter
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Twin Cam 88... Jugs and pistons aplenty for these things... And lots of places to have your heads worked over... Have fun!

Old 03-26-2013, 03:17 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

'99 was the first year for the Twin Cam 88...
(for $1500, if it runs I'd buy it!)

That's 88 cubic inches, and 1450 cc. The EVO was 1340cc. In '99 both the Twin Cam and EVo were available, although the bigger bikes like the RK normally came with the Twin Cam. Machine work can be done with all that you mentioned, bored oversize/headwork, etc. All very common...

(The only limitation would be your bank account!)

I believe the largest you can go without having crank replaced is up to 95". Higher CI would require smaller flywheel(s) to accommodate a longer stroke and piston rods. Plenty of choices as to who/where to buy...

As for your oil leak, although may not be your leak problem, the early TCs had a slight problem with the wires coming from the stator in the primary case. Oil sloshed around enough that oil would get pushed up the insulation of the wires, and drips out just under the oil filter where the insulation jacket ends for the connector. Wires are insulated and inside a rubber housing/jacket similar to heat shrink but not heat shrink. The oil gets between the two. Harley's solution is to reroute the wires up the left frame tube and back down again on the right frame tube. Why fix it when you can defy gravity so easily?

There were a couple other problems with the early TCs such as cam chain tensioners, rear cam sprocket bolt, main breaker (on some models), and some of the swing arms were known to crack just before the axle mounts.

Welcome to Harley Davidson's world!
(Don't let that discourage you, I've only touched on a few things. Others will come in with more, I'm sure!)

BTW, I own a '99 RK, and I love everything I fix on it!

Last edited by Def Mute; 03-26-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:42 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a great project bike. If complete, I'd buy it. It runs, that's even better. Look at my thread "diamond in the rough". Although most of my work was minor, it gives you an idea of basic hand tools, beer and a garage can do. I've learned a lot on the forum as well. Abuse that search button

Mike

Old 03-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain

Thanks folks for the feedback.

I am guessing the VIN will give me engine size and type.

I think it could be a fun project. And, since it runs, I will not have to figure out why it doesn't.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:06 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

Sounds like a good price, if you are good with a wrench, go for it.
If you plan on having someone else do all the work, better get out your checkbook
bigtime..

Old 03-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ragtop
Sounds like a good price, if you are good with a wrench, go for it.
If you plan on having someone else do all the work, better get out your checkbook
bigtime..
I am not a machinist so such work I will have to farm out. But taking it apart and putting it back together... No problem. That I will enjoy.

Old 03-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

My '99 RK has been a trooper. Runs strong and reliably with 65K on the clock.

Make sure when in the engine to replace the cam tensioners and bearings. These were problems with the early 88" motor. And while you are in there put in a better cam.

Does it have a carb or EFI?

I wouldn't give up my carb for nuttin!

Old 03-26-2013, 05:33 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Pumba11
My '99 RK has been a trooper. Runs strong and reliably with 65K on the clock.

Make sure when in the engine to replace the cam tensioners and bearings. These were problems with the early 88" motor. And while you are in there put in a better cam.

Does it have a carb or EFI?

I wouldn't give up my carb for nuttin!
I have heard about the cam tensioners and bearings. But a better cam?

For parts... Harley? or, another company?

Carb, I believe. Did not look that close.

Is there not a part that keeps the inner drive chain taut? And a "Compensator"?

Old 03-26-2013, 05:45 PM
d-streetglidr
Road Warrior
Location: South Carolina-First to secede and hopefully the next.
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

If it were a little closer it would be gone by now.

Quick Reply: 1999 Road King