Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about touring bikes

Old 04-08-2013, 08:12 PM
jruggs73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about touring bikes

Guys my last bike was a softail with the 88 cu. in. motor and 5 speed tranny. It ran great and had 58K on it when I traded it in. My new to me Ultra has 18K on it and I notoced when I am slowing down to stop or turn etc. that I feel a slight slip when the rpm's get lower. On my old bike I could let the engine do braking and it never did this. It's almost like the engine is braking through compression and all of the sudden it just stops and the bike slips or lurches forward slightly. Any ideas?? Do I need to look into the clutch or something? Thanks for the help! Oh and I dont notice any slipping on acceleration....just deceleration.

Old 04-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Sound like engine breaking, what is the compression at? Is it a stock motor with flat tops? I have a BB 103 but it only slips on gravel or wet area, blip throttle on down shift should get rid of it locking up..

Old 04-08-2013, 08:47 PM
jruggs73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a stock 88CI with EFI. Not sure what a flat top is. My last bike had a 95" kit with cams and some head work. So is what I am noticing normal? Any cause for concern?

Old 04-08-2013, 08:57 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,729 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by jruggs73
Guys my last bike was a softail with the 88 cu. in. motor and 5 speed tranny. It ran great and had 58K on it when I traded it in. My new to me Ultra has 18K on it and I notoced when I am slowing down to stop or turn etc. that I feel a slight slip when the rpm's get lower. On my old bike I could let the engine do braking and it never did this. It's almost like the engine is braking through compression and all of the sudden it just stops and the bike slips or lurches forward slightly. Any ideas?? Do I need to look into the clutch or something? Thanks for the help! Oh and I dont notice any slipping on acceleration....just deceleration.
I think I have experienced this and what I finally realized is that when you first shut off the throttle the ECM signals the system to shut off the fuel to the point the engine quits running. When you finally reach a certain rpm (don't ask me what rpm) it starts adding fuel again so the engine is running again. It almost feels like a jake brake on a truck.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:05 PM
SugsPa
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 56 Posts

My 07 did that several times. Just figured it was the nature of the beast and never worried about it.

SugsPa

Old 04-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My RK does that when I decelerate to slower than the gear, if that makes any sense. It lurches forward from what seems like piston momentum, then flattens out after 1/2 a cycle. I've only noticed it in 2nd coming to a stop though.

Old 04-08-2013, 09:18 PM
Juice
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 442 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by jruggs73
It's a stock 88CI with EFI. Not sure what a flat top is. My last bike had a 95" kit with cams and some head work. So is what I am noticing normal? Any cause for concern?
Flat Tops are the lowest compression ratio piston, as apposed to high compression piston.

It also, maybe a clogged breather bolt/ tube..

Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 PM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I had a 06 ultra and it did exactly what you are saying. I think it is the compensator but I am not sure I quit worring about it It did it from day one until I sold It in late 2012 with 115000 on it.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:05 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by $tonecold
I think I have experienced this and what I finally realized is that when you first shut off the throttle the ECM signals the system to shut off the fuel to the point the engine quits running. When you finally reach a certain rpm (don't ask me what rpm) it starts adding fuel again so the engine is running again. It almost feels like a jake brake on a truck.

OP>>>>I have noticed the same thing, and feel the same way as this guy...so I would say it is a normal thing...

Old 04-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Its the cluth. Its a reverse slipping clutch. Some of you guys that have only rode Harleys arent used to it because its something that Harley has just recently put on their bikes. Its been on metrics and crotch rockets for years. Nothing to do with compression or anything like that. Its designed to make downshifts a lot smoother and only allows engine braking down to that point to right before the engine stalls out when rolling. Nothing to worry about...just takes some getting used to...especially for all of you that haven't ridden anything remotely modern.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about touring bikes