Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced Battery, will crank but won't start HELP! Please

Old 04-19-2013, 06:56 PM
curtycscied
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Replaced Battery, will crank but won't start HELP! Please

2008 FLHTCU will turn over, but won't start after replacing a new battery
I have an '08 FLHTCU 105th Anniversary edition. My battery died. I ride year round unless there us ice or snow on the road. I was having some starting issues for a couple of weeks, thinking my rides were a mile or so at a time, so, maybe the battery was not getting recharged. I hooked it up to my battery tender for a few days and it would not recharge. Then nothing. So...
I had to replace the 5 year-old battery (pretty good life). At the same time, while the bike was down, I decided to replace the headlamp/passing lamps and added a "plug-n-play" OEM replacement LED taillight. I also went to the dealership and wanting a little added visibility for me and oncoming drivers, Before I did anything, I removed the old dead battery. While the battery was out II added a module that keeps the passing lamps on even when the brights are on. ( Independent Control Auxiliary Lame Wire Harness Kit Harley Davidson) #69200441). All the while replacing the sealed beam Halogen head light bulls and the two passing lamp bulbs. I installed the passing lamp module. I added the new tail light. Only then did I install the new battery.
I turned the switch to the ignition position, the headlamp came on and most all the other lights except the passing lamps. I then fetched my fob and tried to start the bike up. The engine indicator light did not light up. There was no fuel injection (pump) noise when I toggled the toggle switch to RUN with the main switch in the Ignition position. I need help. Is there some sequence I needed to go through after the replacement of the battery? This is my main source of transportation. I can not afford to not have it running and as a disabled patriot, I can not afford to take it to the dealership and pour another few hundred dollars on it. I HAVE checked the fuses and the relays, and they are in good shape and working also everything was working fine just three days ago. I thank you in advance for your insight and expertise. Thanks, Curty

Last edited by curtycscied; 04-20-2013 at 01:26 AM. Reason: To add information in the original text that is more efficient.
Old 04-19-2013, 07:15 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,941 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Doubt it's got anything to do with the battery. It's something you did while accessorizing. You didn't pull the tank to do any of the wiring did you? If so, check the fuel valve under the left side. Also check the connections under the seat as you may have jarred something loose.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:15 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you need to check those fuses. If the pump didn't prime up, that would be my first fuse to check.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 PM
pscyclepath
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the Ecm connection. Make sure that it is snug.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:35 PM
jay87LX
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, first check all the fuses, maybe when replacing the battery it made a small spike in power and poped the fuse, Then I would bypass the security by entering your code and see what happens then, withought the fuel pump priming it is definately a fuel delivery issue

EDIT: Thank you for you service and sacrifices

Old 04-19-2013, 08:51 PM
eleft
Tourer

Check/change the battery in your fob.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:56 PM
blue t
Advanced

Mine done the same thing when the battery went bad. Ended up being the dynojet power commander lost the program. If you have a programmer unplug it and go back to the stock ECM to see if it will start.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:45 PM
curtycscied
6th Gear

Thanks everyone so far... The relays and fuses are all good. I did find a bad fuse for something completely unrelated. I'll try the last couple of suggestions. This is awesome. I never really new how valuable this forum could be. Lots of brains make one heck of a problem solving team! Thanks for being on mine! Curty

Old 04-20-2013, 04:38 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

So what happened???? Inquiring minds want to know!!! (or maybe just senile old farts with feeble minds and nothing better to do want to know........lol)

Old 04-20-2013, 08:43 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 622 Likes on 452 Posts

If you have a wiring diagram, trace the "run" switch wire behind the headlight. My wager would be that a plug came apart (not likely) or you left a connecter unplugged from your passing light pig tail install. All of the handlebar switches have plugs into the wiring harness behind the headlight. Since you "fiddled" in there, that is a good location to re-check.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced Battery, will crank but won't start HELP! Please