Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Second try to find electrical issue.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 06:34 PM
02Ultra EG
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Second try to find electrical issue.

Well, going to give this another shot. Last summer while riding had the bike quit after blowing an ignition fuse. Did some roadside trouble shooting and got the bike to run another 3 miles. Parked bike and got truck to haul home. Checked out some pinched wires in the Rt. handle. Thought that might be it. Not! I could put in new 15 amp fuse an d run for 10-15 miles and boom, blown fuse. Replace the fuse and blows again. Let the bike sit for 45 min. and replace fuse. Bike starts up and runs again for 10-15 miles then blows fuse again. Just before it blows I notice a slight misfire. Took it to the dealer and explained to service tech the problem. After they had the bike for a week, they said they could not find any problems. I asked if they had ran the bike, they said just in the shop. I asked them to put it on the dyno and run it with a load. Checked back 3 days later and they said they ran it 50 miles on the dyno and road it 20 miles with no problem. They then charged me $100.00 for all the work they did. Now I have an issue with what they say they did. $100.00 for 10 days in the shop, 1 hour on the dyno and all the time spent trouble shooting. Am I missing something? I asked them what I might be able to do to figure this out. Don't want to be making a left turn in traffic and have it die. The service Manager said he had a guy who had a front fender light that was shorting out and blowing the ignition fuse?????? I think something is getting hot and then overamping and blowing the fuse. Like I said, if you let it sit the fuse will be ok and the bike will run for a short period of time. I hate to start changing out componets but need to get it fixed. Wife is driving me crazy wanting to go for a ride! Where can I start?

Old 04-23-2013, 06:38 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Possible wiring around motor when it gets hot and expands and possibly shorts a wire? Just a thought

Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

Have a lot of questions. How is it sitting when it blows fuse. Do you have to be riding it or not. Do you do anything right before it Blows the fuse?

Old 04-23-2013, 07:07 PM
ultra purple
Advanced

How handy are with a dvom. It sounds like you MIGHT have a wire hanging on by one strand, or corrosion in a connector. If you do a LOADED volt test it will show you a weakness compared to a volt test. In other words you can be getting great voltage but not supplying amps. This will cause it to act like this as well.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:12 PM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ultra purple
How handy are with a dvom. It sounds like you MIGHT have a wire hanging on by one strand, or corrosion in a connector. If you do a LOADED volt test it will show you a weakness compared to a volt test. In other words you can be getting great voltage but not supplying amps. This will cause it to act like this as well.
Great advice.

Just curious....were you upset with the $100 the dealer charged you? Sounds like they put lots of hours in the troubleshooting and only charged you for about an hour or so. IMO they didn't rip you off, sounds like they were sympathetic and tried to be fair.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:14 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Check the three wires as it enters the back of the ignition switch

Old 04-23-2013, 07:24 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,960 Likes on 1,713 Posts

Also check the wire loom as it crosses the fairing bracket. Has a tendency to rub through and short out.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:29 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

do u have a cig lighter ?

Old 04-23-2013, 08:42 PM
RIDERED67
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

50 miles on a dyno???? Really?

Old 04-24-2013, 08:00 AM
02Ultra EG
Advanced

Originally Posted by davidwruth
Have a lot of questions. How is it sitting when it blows fuse. Do you have to be riding it or not. Do you do anything right before it Blows the fuse?
Ok, the fault occurs while riding down the road. A few times the motor has a slight hesitayion just before quitting. Makes me believe something like a coil might be over amping. I pull to the side of the road, park the bike, pull the side cover to replace the fuse and it pops another fuse. If I let the bike sit without moving it at all for 45 min put a new fuse in, it fires right up. Have started to check for worn wires and bad grounds.

Quick Reply: Second try to find electrical issue.