Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jason Ward's cooling fans installed with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Jason Ward's cooling fans installed with pictures

I started following Jason's cooling fan thread a long time ago, reading about his design progress, prototyping, etc.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/713596-built-the-best-engine-cooling-system-again.html

Once he found the design he wanted to produce, produce he did. It's called the Forced Convection System (FCS). It's hard telling how many people are now running Jason's product, but I am glad I popped on one.

You can find more information on Jason's page at www.wardspartswerks.com .

For my post here, my goal is to show a few pictures of the product I received, how it looks installed, and what I have measured.

So first, here are a few pictures of the product. Notice the workmanship....

Jason provides all of the power wire necessary to go directly to the battery, extra spade terminals, spacers and washers for use on the horn bracket.

I also popped for the Pepe thermal switch. This switch friction-mounts in the front cylinder head fins near the CHT sensor. I used a piece of old yard stick to slide it into position. The mylar sleeve on the switch serves to hold the thermal switch in place.

The purpose of the thermal switch is to automatically switch-on the FCS once the temperature at the sensor reaches approximately 190-195 degrees. This is all done automatically, so no driver intervention is needed. Once the bike is turned off, the fans will continue to run until temperature at the sensor reaches the cutoff temperature. I highly recommend this thermal switch. You always have manual control of the FSC via the build-in toggle switch in the event you want to turn it off. My pictures do not show the thermal switch as it is nested behind the horn bracket and cannot be seen.

Here are few pics of what it looks like installed:

EDIT: In the photos above you will notice a chrome "decorative" bridge around both plugs. This bridge was discovered to totally block intended air flow from traveling through the rectangular air channel just below the rocker box cover of both cylinders. Air movement through this channel (or tunnel if you will) from the plug side through to the top of the pushrod tubes is the primary design route for the air from the fans. I removed those bridges to allow the fans to provide their maximum cooling potential.

When I first installed the FCS, I was interested to see at what temperature the thermal switch would activate. To measure the head temperature near the sensor, I used an infrared temperature sensor with a stated accuracy of 2 degrees F. The sensor gun was held appx 6 inches from the point of measurement, just aft of the front spark plug.

What I found was that initially, the FCS was activated at a head surface temperature of 191 degrees. It ran for a bit, cooling the head area down to 150-155 degrees then the switch turned the fans off. Mind you this was on a cold bike that had not normalized in temperature. So as the external temperature on the heads continued to rise, the FCS came on again at around 182 degrees and ran until the temperature cooled down to 160 degrees or so. It cycled this way for two more times and once the oil started heating up in the bike, and as the heads were equalizing throughout in temperature, the fans stayed on continuously.

I turned off the bike and it was great to hear the fans running, pushing heat away from the surface area of the heads. The fans would cut off at around 160 degrees, then once internal heat in the cylinders made it's way out to the heat sink fins of the heads, the thermal switch would turn the fans back on to dissipate that heat. That was happening when the external surface heat was building up to about 180 or so degrees. The FSC would then cut back off once the external surface temp would fall below 160 degrees or so. I liked what I was seeing.

The fans Jason used are very strong and move a lot of air. I had no way to measure the CFM of the fans, but it's significant and also coming out at a very good velocity. Jason claims that the FCS will provide additional cooling at highway speeds up to 80 mph. The fans are supposed to survive normal washing and rain and are expected to provide years of service.

I have the opportunity to ride in some slow traffic, parades, and other events. I am excited to have the FCS installed on the bike and will look forward to lower engine temperature peaks during these events.

I would recommend this product if you are looking to help your motorcycle run cooler during times when you don't have adequate air flow due to low speed/stop-start situations. Thanks Jason!

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 05-26-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Updated photos; removal of bridge note
Old 05-05-2013, 08:54 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

Yep. Great product!

Old 05-05-2013, 10:16 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Nice write up, you guys are going to cost me more money.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by EricD10563
Nice write up, you guys are going to cost me more money.
Thank you. Might as well spend it on a good product.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:09 AM
dfndr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this setup blow hot air on your right leg making the perceived heat even worse?

Old 05-06-2013, 12:53 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Thanks for the nice write-up,the pictures of the fans on the bike aren't very clear.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:14 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They look nice and they seem like a good idea if you need cooling. Anyone looking for better pics go to his website.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:31 AM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice write up, Joe.

I've got the fans (think I was #83 or #93) and haven't opted for the thermal switch. Just turn them on when I start the bike, turn 'em off when I dismount.

Not a seconds problem, and they certainly work as advertised. Premium product, for sure.

Beav

Old 05-06-2013, 07:40 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by dfndr
Does this setup blow hot air on your right leg making the perceived heat even worse?
No. Look where the air is directed...right at the spark plug area on each cylinder, not between the cylinders.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by luisan
Thanks for the nice write-up,the pictures of the fans on the bike aren't very clear.
Sorry about that. I had to take them in the dark garage, so the flash kind of glittered off the chrome and caused the clarity problem.

I'll try to get a few in the sunshine this afternoon and those will show up better I am sure.

Jason has several on his site at: www.wardspartswerks.com

Quick Reply: Jason Ward's cooling fans installed with pictures