Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ping or Backfire - What's Worse

Old 05-13-2013, 07:16 PM
chief1600
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Ping or Backfire - What's Worse

I have a 2012 Ultra with 9000 miles which I just installed a Fuel Moto stage 1 in and am running a map from Fuel Moto on a Power Vision. I installed this in order to eliminate the ping that HD couldn't get rid of. At this point the ping is gone but now I have a backfire when shifting from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. It's more noticeable when my wife is riding with because the bike is under more of a load - my assumption. When I'm by myself it will backfire but it's not as bad. I have heard it sporadically in other gears too but mainly in those listed. I've already emailed Jamie with Fuel Moto about this and am patiently awaiting his response.

Here's my issue - I leave on a 4000 mile trip on Friday. Wisconsin to New Mexico and back. Obviously, I have limited time to dial this in. I have all kinds of faith in Jamie so I'm not too concerned yet but IF a new map doesn't take care of the backfire what do I do:

1) Run the initial map I received from Fuel Moto which still had a little ping, although not as bad as before the stage 1. OR
2) Run the current map that has the ping eliminated but the backfire remains?

I guess I don't know which is worse for the bike - a ping or a backfire. Both are annoying to the rider but how does the bike feel about it?

Like I said, I'm not terribly concerned because my guess is that Jamie will have another map put together for me and will probably have it sorted out. I just want to have some opinions in case a new map doesn't work and my time is up. I currently have 2 maps saved to the PV - the initial map that came from Fuel Moto that still had the ping and a new map that Jamie set up to eliminate the ping. The second one is what I'm running right now and I have the backfire. If he sends me another map, I'll have 3 to choose from.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,356 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Generally I'd say pinging is worse.

But with a PV you can do tuning runs which would largely eliminate pinging.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,356 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Generally I'd say pinging is worse.

But with a PV you can do tuning runs which would largely eliminate pinging.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:11 PM
PIGGI
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Use your PV and richin up the fuel map in the 20 and 30% area. You can also change the decel enleanment tables. It's all in there for you to play with. Also did you just install the mufflers? Could have an air leak.

Last edited by PIGGI; 05-13-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:42 PM
SteveMKentucky
Tourer

Received 63 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PIGGI
...Also did you just install the mufflers? Could have an air leak.
That's just what I was thinking.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with that! I have the same setup as you. Even had the bike dyno'd and pinging still there but the backfiring just a tad better. At this point the only thing I can think of is ride this thing as hard as I can until something blows and then let warranty take care of it! FT

Old 05-13-2013, 11:32 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

persistant pinging will burn a hole in your piston.

backfiring is more annoying- but is a sign that your fuel and/or ignition settings are incorrect

mike

Old 05-14-2013, 03:10 AM
Watch Guy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Pinging is by far, worse than backfire

It's a really simple change to your map. Go to the timing table and get rid of all advance and reset them to 0. that will get rid of the ping. Go to the fuel tables and add (lets start with 6) in the 0% throttle column (both cyl 1 and cyl 2) from 1000 rpm up to 3000rpm. That will get rid of the back fire. If it still pops a lot on coasting in gear then change the 6 to 8.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Ovaltine Jenkins
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm assuming you mean afterfire (exhaust popping and detonation in the exhaust) rather than literal backfire, which is when fire goes into the intake and can damage the air filter.

Old 05-14-2013, 11:40 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pinging is detonation = very bad on the pistons and valve train, backfiring is unburnt fuel hitting the air in the pipe and lighting off. I'd rather have the backfiring.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ping or Backfire - What's Worse