Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passengers Headset Not Working

Old 05-15-2013, 10:21 PM
rogergayla21
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Passengers Headset Not Working

Bought an 02 Ultra Classic used last month, loving the bike, but hooked up headsets tonight and the passenger one doesn't work. I switched cords helmets and all combinations worked for the rider. Passenger can hear, just not transmit, driver can transmit and hear self, but can't hear passenger. Any thoughts? I bought the extended warranty from the dealer, but I don't want it off the road that long, weather just turned decent here thank you in advance for all your advice.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:08 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

No constructive comments from me, but......Passenger can hear, just not transmit, and....driver can transmit and hear self, but can't hear passenger sounds like a win to me.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:08 AM
bissjim
Cruiser
Smile

Turn the intercom ON, while in the intercom screen have the passenger talk using push switch, while passenger is talking adjust riders volume using handlebar volume switch. Just a thought that the passenger volume was never used. Worth checking.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Had the same issue with my '09 and once I turned the VOX off everything was fine.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:11 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Did you happen to get an owner's manual with the bike?...If not try to obtain one...There is a wealth of information in it.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:52 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by geezer glide 56
Did you happen to get an owner's manual with the bike?...If not try to obtain one...There is a wealth of information in it.
If all else fails.....

Old 05-16-2013, 06:53 AM
Trial dog
Tourer

I think bissjim has the right idea. Turn VOX off and make sure volumes all are set right in the intercom screen. Can you hear the volume go down on the radio when the PTT is pushed? Another possibility is a bad mic wire in the plug in. Make sure it is plugged in correctly, sounds simple but on some the plug can actually go in a pin or two off. Good luck.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:18 AM
rogergayla21
Intermediate

Thank you for all the replies. I did get an owners manual and read and re-read it last night. I will try turning of the VOX, not sure how, but maybe the manual will say how. I will also try reinserting the wires to see if that helps.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:31 AM
rogergayla21
Intermediate

How did you turn the VOX off?
Originally Posted by wndchsr2
Had the same issue with my '09 and once I turned the VOX off everything was fine.

Old 05-16-2013, 11:57 AM
wndchsr2
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rogergayla21
How did you turn the VOX off?
Intercom Operation

Operation

To speak over the intercom, press and hold either rider or passenger PTT switch to enable the microphones. Both microphones are active while one or both PTT switches are pressed.
NOTE:

Always verify that the CB is off so that private intercom conversations will not be transmitted.
Activating the Intercom and the VOX Microphones

Press and hold the INT button on the front panel, to open the Intercom Setup display.

See D in Display Examples. To activate the intercom (INT) and the VOX microphones, press soft key 1 to turn the intercom ON.

The intercom will activate in Intercom Setup with VOX sensitivity and headset volume level settings from the previous use. VOX sensitivity and headset volume are adjusted in Int Setup only.

To exit Int Setup, press and release the MODE SEL switch or the INT button.

To make adjustments to VOX sensitivity after exiting Intercom Setup, re-enter Intercom Setup by pressing INT.
NOTE:

To ensure privacy, the intercom can only be heard through the headsets.

To turn OFF the intercom and the VOX microphones, press the INT button to open the Intercom Setup display and press the On/Off soft key (1).
Adjusting VOX Sensitivity

VOX sensitivity should be adjusted so that the microphones break VOX at a normal voice level.

Enter Intercom Setup by pressing the INT button. Press the ON or 1 soft key to turn the intercom on.

See G in Display Examples. Press the MODE SEL switch UP or DN or press the 4 or 5 soft key to initiate the VOX display. The LCD displays VOX sensitivity as a bar graph with a smaller bar to indicate the center of the 14 bars. A higher number of bars indicates greater sensitivity while a lower number means less sensitivity.

Continue to use MODE SEL on the right hand grip to adjust the sensitivity level. Press MODE SEL UP to make the microphone more sensitive. Press the MODE SEL DN to reduce sensitivity. To exit Setup, press and release the MODE SEL switch.
NOTES:

The receiver retains the sensitivity level from the previous setup. However, if power is removed from the receiver, VOX sensitivity defaults to mid level.
VOX sensitivity may have to be adjusted if either microphone is unintentionally activated because the microphone misinterprets radio, road or background sound as conversation.

When VOX is set to its maximum, the microphone is always open. The VOX display will read Open.

When VOX is set to lowest value, the microphone is closed and the VOX display reads Closed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passengers Headset Not Working