Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Shovelhead leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 01:52 AM
SHOVEL HEAD
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shovelhead leak

I'M LOOKING INTO BUYING A 1976 ELECTRA GLIDE.IT HAS BEEN RESTORED AND THE MOTOR HAS BEEN REBUILT TOP AND BOTTOM END. IT IS A VERY SHARP BIKE. THE ONLY THING IS IT LEAKS OIL AT THE PRIMARY. I'VE ASKED AROUND AND WAS TOLD IT'S NOT UNUSUAL FOR THE OLDER MOTORS TO LEAK SOME. DO I NEED TO PASS ON THE BIKE OR IS IT SOMETHING THAT CAN BE WORKED WITH AND FIXED. THIS WILL BE MY FIRST HARLEY AND I'VE FEEL IN LOVE. TAKEN ALL SUGGESTIONS.

Old 08-23-2005, 03:58 PM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default RE: SHOVELHEAD LEAK

My first HD was an 80 flt shovelhead. I would say pass on the bike myself, and it has nothing to do with the oil leak. If you want to go on rides get something newer. I you want to tinker constantly and learn alot about the bikes working parts, then I would say get the bike. I am sure many run fine on a regular basis besides filling the oil tank (1980 owners manual states the bike will "loose" a quart every 300 miles or something ridiculous like that. just my two cents. That bike has been around a long time and if you really like the look, you can get darn close to the identical bike starting with a newer model. If you put my 80 when i was done with it next to a 94 that was setup the same you would have to look at the engine to tell the difference.

adam

Old 08-23-2005, 04:25 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It says "AMF" on it..run, run as fast as you can! THE WORST, without peer, machine that I have ever owned was a 77 FLH, it may have been one of the best looking but I can't tell you how much I had to walk while owning that P.O.S.! And it was new at the time!
Don't get anything older than an EVO powered Harley, that would be 84 or newer.

DC.
ORIGINAL: SHOVEL HEAD

I'M LOOKING INTO BUYING A 1976 ELECTRA GLIDE.IT HAS BEEN RESTORED AND THE MOTOR HAS BEEN REBUILT TOP AND BOTTOM END. IT IS A VERY SHARP BIKE. THE ONLY THING IS IT LEAKS OIL AT THE PRIMARY. I'VE ASKED AROUND AND WAS TOLD IT'S NOT UNUSUAL FOR THE OLDER MOTORS TO LEAK SOME. DO I NEED TO PASS ON THE BIKE OR IS IT SOMETHING THAT CAN BE WORKED WITH AND FIXED. THIS WILL BE MY FIRST HARLEY AND I'VE FEEL IN LOVE. TAKEN ALL SUGGESTIONS.

Old 08-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've yet to see a shovel that didn't "mark their spot". I'll differ a little from the others because I won't say RUN from the bike. I think they are FUN! Yes, you'll have to tinker from time to time. It'll mark it's spot but you can usually fix that. Leaky primaries are common. An easy fix is to go with a belt primary. Not cheap but sure beats the hassle of a leaky chain case. I'll bet a little TLC on the chain case will fix the problem anyway. IF the bike is in good condition, the engine builder is reputable and the price is right, I'd jump on it. In fact, if I run across a good deal on an "Awesome"Mother"F*&$#!" Harley, I intend to buy it. I've had 4... and loved them all. I miss havin' an old shovel to play with.

Old 08-23-2005, 07:14 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you know how to turn a wrench,get r done.Shovel Heads kick arss IMHO but you better know how to turn wrenches.It could be a base gaskit that's leaking (they can look like a prim leak at times)and if so,it can turn into work real fast.

Old 08-24-2005, 12:50 AM
oldschool
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

You know that old AMF....Ah nevermind. My first bike was a 1971 shovelhead. You know I still have that bike. 25 years of hard but good years. Its gone through many upgrades inside and out. I still have the bike because it is oldschool. Yes it can leak but if you stay on top of it no big deal. Its one of the fastest shovel in my town and it can beat the hell out of me at times. You got to love it. Else its not worth the effort to keep it. If your seller has receipts and that is what you want go for it. But no receipts then think twice cuz it will cost you later. But if you do GET A MANUAL. Good luck.

Old 08-16-2018, 11:50 AM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,591 Likes on 9,809 Posts

from what I understand, its pretty common on those bikes...

Old 08-16-2018, 03:41 PM
hellonewman
Club Member
Received 5,738 Likes on 2,472 Posts

13 year old thread, I wonder if he's still thinking about buying it.....

Old 08-16-2018, 03:49 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,785 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Originally Posted by hellonewman
13 year old thread, I wonder if he's still thinking about buying it.....
yep ... this might be a winner in the "resurrection" department

Old 08-16-2018, 03:52 PM
Super Glidester
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,591 Likes on 9,809 Posts

everything was junk in the 70's....

Quick Reply: Shovelhead leak