Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So far its my IPB, main shaft bearing, and Compensator...

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 05:02 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts
Angry So far its my IPB, main shaft bearing, and Compensator...

So after reading/participating in this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...our-ipb-7.html

I became very worried about my bike ('09 Ultra with 45,500 miles) since it had the same symptoms as the OP from the thread link above. I dropped off my bike to the dealer who said so far my IPB is shot, the "compensator is showing wear", and "the tech said he can hear grinding just by turning my rear wheel by hand". They're tearing into the transmission to diagnose for sure what needs to be done. So far I've authorized three hours of labor to diagnose the issues (the labor will be part of the repairs, not in addition to the repair)

I'm really upset about this repair - my local dealers are all owned by the same people and while I trust their work the pricing is often high. Labor in Vegas is high in general at about $100/hr. I don't have an indy that I trust. I know there are a few around but I don't get a good vibe from the couple I've spoken to in the past so I'm kinda stuck with the dealer since this isn't a repair I want to or have time to do on my own.

A well maintained 45,000 mile bike shouldn't need this much work.

I'll post an update when I have one

Old 05-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Get rid of the auto primary chain tensioner, it is what causes most of these issues.
set some free play in the primary chain, like 1/2" like the old bikes, and that wear will be much less.
They added an inch to the main shaft of the trans with smaller trap door bearings, and the same size IPB, and the auto tensioner, that takes all of the slack of the chain out, when it used to be 1/2" cold. THIS IS WHY THERE ARE SO MANY PROBLEMS.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:24 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet the dealers little eyes lit up when you dropped the bike off for this, ka-ching!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:35 PM
highmarket
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
So after reading/participating in this thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...our-ipb-7.html

I became very worried about my bike ('09 Ultra with 45,500 miles) since it had the same symptoms as the OP from the thread link above. I dropped off my bike to the dealer who said so far my IPB is shot, the "compensator is showing wear", and "the tech said he can hear grinding just by turning my rear wheel by hand". They're tearing into the transmission to diagnose for sure what needs to be done. So far I've authorized three hours of labor to diagnose the issues (the labor will be part of the repairs, not in addition to the repair)

I'm really upset about this repair - my local dealers are all owned by the same people and while I trust their work the pricing is often high. Labor in Vegas is high in general at about $100/hr. I don't have an indy that I trust. I know there are a few around but I don't get a good vibe from the couple I've spoken to in the past so I'm kinda stuck with the dealer since this isn't a repair I want to or have time to do on my own.

A well maintained 45,000 mile bike shouldn't need this much work.

I'll post an update when I have one
Very sorry to here this, curious to see how much it cost, I maybe in the
same boat, thinking of doing it myself though.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:50 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Bummer! Shouldn't need to tear into the trans for just the bearing?? I'm kind'a worried about the ipb because of the auto adjuster??? Wish I would of done Hayden M6 when I did SE compensator. Good luck!

Old 05-29-2013, 06:55 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Just put the M6 and new primary chain in my '07 RK with 33k miles. The primary adjuster was broken. The compensator is making that startup noise, too.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:19 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
I bet the dealers little eyes lit up when you dropped the bike off for this, ka-ching!
Yup, my friend took his bike in because the shift lever kept coming off under warranty (2011 with 15k on the clock)....you should see the laundry list of things they changed to include the stator, primary tensioner, as many bearings as they could get away with all under the guise of the ESP......shameful....

Old 05-29-2013, 07:26 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Well, I'll know more possibly tomorrow. When I dropped it off the service writer asked me at least twice if I had the extended warranty. I knew I was in for it at that point.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:50 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

All the above precisely why I "spent" the money for the Extended Warranty. 40K on my 2010 StreetGlide with no problems of any significance so far, however................

Old 05-29-2013, 08:23 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
All the above precisely why I "spent" the money for the Extended Warranty. 40K on my 2010 StreetGlide with no problems of any significance so far, however................
Yup me too, I just signed up for 3 more years.....these bikes have too many things that can sneak up on ya and I need to know I'm covered.

Quick Reply: So far its my IPB, main shaft bearing, and Compensator...