Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Motolights: Get Standard LED's or Ultra Bright LED's?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 09:55 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Buying Motolights: Get Standard LED's or Ultra Bright LED's?

Putting a HD LED headlight on my 2011 Street Glide, and I'm concerned about not being able to see well in corners.

Going to get some LED Motolights to help the problem, but am not sure if I should get the standard LED's or the new, Ultra Bright LED bulbs.

I like the idea of brighter/better bulbs, but am afraid it might be obscene looking when lit up.

Does anyone have any experience with these lights?

Thanks

Old 06-07-2013, 06:31 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
Putting a HD LED headlight on my 2011 Street Glide, and I'm concerned about not being able to see well in corners.

Going to get some LED Motolights to help the problem, but am not sure if I should get the standard LED's or the new, Ultra Bright LED bulbs.

I like the idea of brighter/better bulbs, but am afraid it might be obscene looking when lit up.

Thanks
No experience yet but I'm probably going to buy those lights later this year and will probably go with the 50W bulbs. More is always better, especially when it comes to lighting.....

My question is, do the lights come with a generic wiring harness or do will have to buy one of the HD harnesses they show on their web site??

Old 06-07-2013, 06:41 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Was being a cheap-*** when i ordered and didnt want to spend the extra $100 or so bucks.....I have the reg. bulbs, but when i ordered over the phone, she gave me the optional 50 watt, instead of the 35 watt, for free. In hindsight, i should have asked for a LED special.
I since got the daymakers and the moto's look yellow and ugly now. Go Led one way or another! Standard LED should do just fine. Try youtube

Last edited by Pete6114; 06-07-2013 at 08:08 AM. Reason: added pics
Old 06-07-2013, 06:56 AM
wildey
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A while back I had thought about doing the different lights then came upon a thread with the halogen bulb here http://www.germanautoparts.com/Hardware/Bulbs/H4

They suggested the Bulb, H4 Halogen, 80/100 watt. Osram/ Sylvania brand. and I will tell you for the last couple yrs its been great.

Even during the day the signs on the side of the road light up, the beam is big and wide and when you hit the high beams its awesome and for $12 you can't go wrong.

I have also noticed that the cars that use to pull out in front of you all sit and wait now. They might start to go then stop and wait for me to go by.

Best part is no one is flipping their brights at me to turn mine down. I did have to realign my headlight per the manual after putting it in but thats a 10 min job

You won't be disappointed

Old 06-07-2013, 07:12 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by wildey
A while back I had thought about doing the different lights then came upon a thread with the halogen bulb here http://www.germanautoparts.com/Hardware/Bulbs/H4

They suggested the Bulb, H4 Halogen, 80/100 watt. Osram/ Sylvania brand. and I will tell you for the last couple yrs its been great.

Even during the day the signs on the side of the road light up, the beam is big and wide and when you hit the high beams its awesome and for $12 you can't go wrong.

I have also noticed that the cars that use to pull out in front of you all sit and wait now. They might start to go then stop and wait for me to go by.

Best part is no one is flipping their brights at me to turn mine down. I did have to realign my headlight per the manual after putting it in but thats a 10 min job

Problem with those bulbs is that they are prone to vibration damage and don't normally last to long in motorcycles but the biggest issue is the stock HD plastic reflector. It does not project the light beam correctly and will yellow in time due to the bulbs high heat. Plus the cheapo HD plastic headlight connector will not hold up to the high heat over time.

I had an 80/100W bulbs on my bike but I was using an E4 headlamp and a BakLite connector. My bulbs were lasting about 2+ years. I have since went with the TL Phase 7 headlight.

Old 06-07-2013, 07:18 AM
wildey
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
Problem with those bulbs is that they are prone to vibration damage and don't normally last to long in motorcycles but the biggest issue is the stock HD plastic reflector. It does not project the light beam correctly and will yellow in time due to the bulbs high heat. Plus the cheapo HD plastic headlight connector will not hold up to the high heat over time.

I had an 80/100W bulbs on my bike but I was using an E4 headlamp and a BakLite connector. My bulbs were lasting about 2+ years. I have since went with the TL Phase 7 headlight.

Thats interesting. Cause I had it in my 2008 for almost 15000 miles and now in my 2012 for 8200 miles. No yellowing, no failures nothing but good stuff.

People in the other forum were running them for yrs with no problems either so im not sure your talking the same bulb or in the same type of headlight but I have not seen any of that in a total of almost 23,000 miles total, Oh and the one in my 2012 is from my 08 so its total miles on that bulb

Old 06-07-2013, 08:01 AM
BrownSanta
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Take a look at clearwater lights same price range but a much better product! And comes with LED standard! I will be mounting these by the floorboards so they are out of the way and hidden.

http://clearwaterlights.com/

Attached Thumbnails Buying Motolights: Get Standard LED's or Ultra Bright LED's?-image.jpg  

Last edited by BrownSanta; 06-07-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by wildey

From experience I can tell you to be careful when running the 80/100 Halogen bulb ... I ( and two others that I have ran into since that time ) have had the headlight harness plug that connects to the bulb melt. Fortunately there was no other damage but I did have to splice in a new plug and a bit of harness to correct the problem. This happened on two separate occasions ... the first time I thought it was just a fluke ... after the second time I went back to the 55/60 bulb ... of course, no problems since .... just my .02 cents worth.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:08 AM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer

Thanks
I don't think the Moto Lights are designed to illuminate the road like you want, but, more of a bright object that is designed to make people see you.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:19 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
From experience I can tell you to be careful when running the 80/100 Halogen bulb ... I ( and two others that I have ran into since that time ) have had the headlight harness plug that connects to the bulb melt. Fortunately there was no other damage but I did have to splice in a new plug and a bit of harness to correct the problem. This happened on two separate occasions ... the first time I thought it was just a fluke ... after the second time I went back to the 55/60 bulb ... of course, no problems since .... just my .02 cents worth.

I seen a link the other day in a thread for an h-7 plug extension with a ceramic end to avoid melting, never seen one. Could be worth googling for those needing one.

Quick Reply: Buying Motolights: Get Standard LED's or Ultra Bright LED's?