Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour-Pak Passenger armrests (52400074)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:13 AM
wsaxton
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tour-Pak Passenger armrests (52400074)

Purchased a set of these for my wife yesterday from the local Harley store. Tried to find reviews of them before purchasing and did not have any luck finding one so here is mine. Put them on and 09 Ultra.

Fist off they are expensive $400 and if you plan on having the dealer ship put them on expect a big bill from them it took me a long time to install them. For that price I expected them to be super nice, they are but they have issues.

Installation is very time consuming and requires 2 helpers if you do not have a lift. First i had to remove the saddle bags. Then I had to remove the left rear speaker from its box (4 screws) to remove the intercom cable mouning bracket on the bottom of it. There was a nut on the inside. This is left off and Harley does not supply a cover for the holes left behind. Then you need to remove the Tour-Pak liner, 2 nuts hold the black pouch on. From there you will need to remove both speaker boxes, 3 screws each side. Antenna wires will need to be removed and the grommets holding them in have to be remove to get the wire out. At this point all that is required to get the Tour-Pak off is to remove the 4 screws holding it on. Installing the arm rests was easy but the hardware supplied was grade 5 (weak) not grede 8 (strong) and one of my bolts stripped out. Also the directions say to grease the pivot points and to use loc-tite on the threads, they do not supply either but give Harley part numbers for both. They should have been included in the kit based on how expensive these things are.

Putting the motorcycle back together was the hard part. 4 spacer raise the Tour-Pak up slightly to clear the armrest mounting bracket. Nothing holds them in place and if the bike is on a kick stand leaning over they want to slide off. I put grease on them to make them stay in place but having two people hold your Tour-Pak above the 4 holes and spacer while you put the 4 screws back in is not easy to do at all. took me several tries to get them in.

Harley put no thought at all into re-locating the rear intercom cable. They included a clamp that they said to mount to the front saddlebag mounting screw. That does not work at all. Too difficult to get to the cable and it does not allow the spring to pull the cable back. It also causes the spring to drag on the rear fender and scratch it up. there was no good solution, just left it hanging will try to figue something out later.

In sumary, the arm rest match the bike pufectly, they pivot out of the way to get on and off easily. They are expensive and time consuming to put on and did not come with some required parts. They also will also leave two holes on the bottom of the left rear speaker box where the old intercom cable mounting bracket was. It is left off because armrest hits it when pivoted. They also do not address the rear intercom cable at all. If you are adding armrest to make rider happy most likely you are using the intercom already.

Will update after wife uses them
Bill

The following users liked this post:
Powerwagon64 (03-07-2021)
Old 06-18-2013, 05:29 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good write up and review. For as much as we pay for our bikes and the add ons after the purchase, you would think that expensive things such as this would be well thought out and come with all the hardware,lol.

The following users liked this post:
Powerwagon64 (03-07-2021)
Old 06-18-2013, 06:52 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Put a set on for the little woman over a month ago, she likes them except for the need to shift them to get on/off or to access the TP. I like them in that she has to move them to get off, cannot just lean on them like when she falls asleep and limits the chance she falls off or worse yet causes the bike to go erratic. The left one gets in my way on occasion but only as I need to lose some weight to close my leg further on exiting the ride.

The clamp is not to connect the headset cord to the saddlebag, it is meant to replace the factory mount under the left speaker. I installed ours by myself on a service jack and only had to pull the left speaker for the cable mount nuts, I did the install in less than an hour and did not remove the wiring to anything else, I keep Loctite and grease handy for these little parts installs I do myself.

Attached Thumbnails Tour-Pak Passenger armrests (52400074)-dsc03173.jpg  

Last edited by ddm502001; 06-18-2013 at 06:58 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:15 AM
fireman9170
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ddm502001
Put a set on for the little woman over a month ago, she likes them except for the need to shift them to get on/off or to access the TP. I like them in that she has to move them to get off, cannot just lean on them like when she falls asleep and limits the chance she falls off or worse yet causes the bike to go erratic. The left one gets in my way on occasion but only as I need to lose some weight to close my leg further on exiting the ride.

The clamp is not to connect the headset cord to the saddlebag, it is meant to replace the factory mount under the left speaker. I installed ours by myself on a service jack and only had to pull the left speaker for the cable mount nuts, I did the install in less than an hour and did not remove the wiring to anything else, I keep Loctite and grease handy for these little parts installs I do myself.
looks good, my wife would love these. I dont think Im ready for that look just yet

Old 06-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,782 Likes on 18,559 Posts

Might have been cheaper ( and easier ) to hack up a Lazyboy for the Ol' Gal?

Old 06-18-2013, 07:55 AM
JJHOG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think our best approach to these types of addons is to voice our opinion on how expensive they are by simply not buying them. $400 bucks for poorly engineered product, no thanks.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:41 AM
lazybee
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Check out the ones from Rivco. Number HD094. There is a video on the Rivco site. You can get them on Amazon for around 265.00.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:22 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I followed the instructions, had no issues putting it together and seeing it finish well, wife is happy and I don't have to deal with a high pitch whine from the rear!!

Old 06-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Callgood
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had dealer put them on before pick up. The wife does like them and they match better than any others I have seen. I wish they had a built in drink holder. I am not sure what drink holder I will buy now, either the handlebar one or the hog trough ones.
My intercom connector is a pain also. I pulled the cable out further than how they had it it so it slips under seat grab belt on the side. I also don't like how they will rotate out from the wind if solo. So I position them so they are in contact with pad on tour pack to keep them from rotating.
She likes them and I guess that is all that matters. I am trying not to go nuts with this bike and add only things that are useful - safety, comfort.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:33 PM
t059736
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

+10 for RIVCO

Reasonable price; excellent workmanship; top grade material......and Great customer service.

Ride In Peace

Quick Reply: Tour-Pak Passenger armrests (52400074)