Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A parade flag holder for your touring bike with pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by cmtaylor
THANKS JOE!!! Great idea, great project and great write up!!!
Thank you.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Wild Duck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's how I did mine. No extra hardware needed.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ag-set-up.html

Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wild Duck
Here's how I did mine. No extra hardware needed.[/URL]
Looks like an optional mounting position for sure.

Old 06-28-2013, 10:28 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now THAT is what CUSTOM looks like! Nice job! (Now RUN down to the patent office...seriously.)

Old 06-28-2013, 12:00 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Mercianbike
Excellent description! I had a pole mounted on my former metric bike positioned roughly in line with the rear axle. We were lined up for a Patriot Guard Mission facing north with a southerly wind. Just as I released the clutch to go, a wind gust blew the flag forward and wrapped around into my face. That is my only word of caution with your setup.
I was going to say the same thing. You did a beautiful jog building the mount. I ride a lot of missions with the PGR and built my tall flag mount to bolt into my trailer hitch on my ultra and even then with it so far back I have had the flag come into my face. My question is why didn't you make that awesome mount to go on the back of the bag gaurds so it would be more in line with the rear of your bike. Another caution I have flown three 3'x5' flags and have had a cross wind catch them and you can actually feel them try to move your bike.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by santajim
I was going to say the same thing. You did a beautiful jog building the mount. I ride a lot of missions with the PGR and built my tall flag mount to bolt into my trailer hitch on my ultra and even then with it so far back I have had the flag come into my face. My question is why didn't you make that awesome mount to go on the back of the bag gaurds so it would be more in line with the rear of your bike. Another caution I have flown three 3'x5' flags and have had a cross wind catch them and you can actually feel them try to move your bike.
Thanks. Not sure where you mean when you say on the "back of the bag guards"? My bike has no "side" bag guards, only the main guard for the front.

I have received a few concerns about the flag trying to move the bike, that's for sure. Maybe it will, but so far I cannot even feel the slightest difference when flying the flag. I will say that I have not been in any challenging winds either, so maybe after some wind experience I'll have something to report. I can see where rear mounted flags would tend to act as a rudder and induce some torsion pressure on the rear of the bike thus affecting steering a little.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:49 AM
Badfinger
Road Master

Here's what I ran on my 08 and it's all you need:

It's from Rivco products and I'm pretty sure they have something for the later models, is easy to remove when you don't need it.

Old 06-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Badfinger
Here's what I ran on my 08 and it's all you need:

It's from Rivco products and I'm pretty sure they have something for the later models, is easy to remove when you don't need it.
Apparently, you didn't read my original post. I referenced the Rivco product. Very aware of it and it is a good product. However it is not the perfect product by any means, especially considering the $200+ price tag and the need that some have to add "additional" bracing to tame the flexing.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:33 AM
fireman9170
Road Captain

nice post and pics

Old 06-30-2013, 10:28 AM
Badfinger
Road Master

OK Joe, let's cut to the chase. I appreciate your creativeness and wish to reduce cost but you're putting yourself in great danger as well as anyone riding behind. It's been tried before. I seriously doubt any road captain or safety officer would allow you to ride in a group with that setup, I've ridden with the guard for years and I've seen flags and poles come off bikes. You can kill yourself and those behind you.

Quick Reply: A parade flag holder for your touring bike with pics