Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn a Classic into a classic

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:32 AM
Sol
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Turn a Classic into a classic

Whiskers, the horn cover and saddle bag rails look great. Thanks for the updated pics.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:49 AM
Smokun
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never anticipated a simple request turning into a favorite thread! I have a great idea for a nostalgic look and will post the pics when it's done. Well, it's a good idea to me, maybe it won't be to everyone else.

Thanks for all the great responses. Seat rails are cool and people love the look of old bikes. Before I ever did anything to mine I had people asking me how old it was. It was cool to say a couple of months and blow their minds. Give me whitewalls and chrome or give me death!

Old 03-09-2007, 06:18 AM
ChiefGator
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, Great Thread.

The old style "Springer" horn was designed to be on the the forks under the headlight, but it looks good on the side too. Definately has an Old School look to it. You can actually get the "grill" only that fits over your OEM horn. http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...4-9B1FD08132F2

I like this one better, with the logo on it.
http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...9-81827EDDF1DF

The original Panhead horn was a "trumpet" with a round base, it looks cool on some bikes
http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...6-595EE9493206

As for the guys that like it when you surprise people on how New your bike is... I LOVE it when people react to how Old my bike is. Especially when they find out that I average about 20k per year on an antique.

Old 03-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Smokun
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Sol

Business travel took me to Long Island, NY this week.Had some time to kill sostopped by Lighthouse H-D to look around & pick up a souvenir t-shirt. On display, they had some "20th Century Design" bikes that put my bike to shame as far as looking nostalgic.

These bikes at first glance looked to be late 50's Dou-Glides. I dida double-take becausethese are in factSoftail Deluxes that have all the retro goodies including pan-like rocker covers on the Twin-Cam engine.

You can check 'em out here: http://www.lighthousehd.com/custompage2.asp?pg=info

Billy Joel lends his name as the "designer" in 20th Century Designs so you can bet on big $$$ (I didn't embarrass myself by asking price). Still, these are some fantastic looking bikes.

BTW,flight cancellation has me stranded in NY tonight so that fresh shirt I bought is going to be needed.
Yes, Billy Joel's new bike is in the current issue of American Iron magazine with a spread on Lighthouse HD's new classic line of bikes. I'm sure they will be very expensive. Two days beforeI saw the mag on the shelf, I ordered some old FL heat shields like the one's on Billy's bike. I got a new set of V&H dresser duals and just waiting for the heat shields to come in. My wife said they look like dryer vents, but I like it.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Sol
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Smokun

ORIGINAL: Sol

Business travel took me to Long Island, NY this week.Had some time to kill sostopped by Lighthouse H-D to look around & pick up a souvenir t-shirt. On display, they had some "20th Century Design" bikes that put my bike to shame as far as looking nostalgic.

These bikes at first glance looked to be late 50's Dou-Glides. I dida double-take becausethese are in factSoftail Deluxes that have all the retro goodies including pan-like rocker covers on the Twin-Cam engine.

You can check 'em out here: http://www.lighthousehd.com/custompage2.asp?pg=info

Billy Joel lends his name as the "designer" in 20th Century Designs so you can bet on big $$$ (I didn't embarrass myself by asking price). Still, these are some fantastic looking bikes.

BTW,flight cancellation has me stranded in NY tonight so that fresh shirt I bought is going to be needed.
Yes, Billy Joel's new bike is in the current issue of American Iron magazine with a spread on Lighthouse HD's new classic line of bikes. I'm sure they will be very expensive. Two days beforeI saw the mag on the shelf, I ordered some old FL heat shields like the one's on Billy's bike. I got a new set of V&H dresser duals and just waiting for the heat shields to come in. My wife said they look like dryer vents, but I like it.
Please, please, please post pics of the flex heat shields when you are done. Also, the source of the shields. The flex exaust shieldsare a project that I've been kicking around to get more of a classic look and because of a less than perfect fit onmy present sheilds.

Thanks for starting a great thread!

Old 03-12-2007, 11:20 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm just gonna have to use one of those great horn covers! Never thought of that!

Old 03-13-2007, 01:10 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Pastor;

The new horn cover made it a little easier for mylady to be seen.

Whiskers

[IMG]local://upfiles/1543/35B5C8364EBC4620AFADFFD0B47C42A7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-13-2007, 02:20 AM
Smokun
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Whiskers

Pastor;

The new horn cover made it a little easier for mylady to be seen.

Whiskers

[IMG]local://upfiles/1543/35B5C8364EBC4620AFADFFD0B47C42A7.jpg[/IMG]
HEHE, that is pimp!

Old 03-13-2007, 02:55 AM
Smokun
Advanced

I will post some pics when I finish it and some of the work to do it. I haven't decided if I want to have the exposed cut edges of the heat shields re-chromed or just put some exhaust paint on it to keep it from rusting. I mean we are talking about an extremely small area that wouldn't be noticeable unless you were looking for it.

The flex heat shields can be ordered from Custom Chrome in the exhaust accessories section of the catalog. Checkthemout here at the bottom of the page:
http://www.customchrome.com/catalogs/CCP2006/0630.html

I thought I had a great idea with the old heat shields on a TC88, but the Piano Man beat me to it! I'm sure someone else has done it before anyway, but I still think it looks good and will add some character.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeah, Whiskers that looks great. But the lady would probably be a problem for me in the church parking lot!

Quick Reply: Turn a Classic into a classic