Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide Ignition Switch Messed up!! Wont lock forks or go.to Access

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Street Glide Ignition Switch Messed up!! Wont lock forks or go.to Access

Holy crap this has been a project. Just.wrapping up my new 12 inch ape install and need to put the ignition switch back on. Sure **** it is giving me issues. I got it where it.works only.if OFF AND ON but can't.get.it to go to fork lock or Access. Please any ideas!?!?

Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 PM
stogieluvr60
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I feel your pain!

Originally Posted by CSS_FXD
Holy crap this has been a project. Just.wrapping up my new 12 inch ape install and need to put the ignition switch back on. Sure **** it is giving me issues. I got it where it.works only.if OFF AND ON but can't.get.it to go to fork lock or Access. Please any ideas!?!?
I just did a bar change myself on my 09 Ultra (12" apes) and went through some trouble because I broke my switch off when I fell onto the bike after getting my feet tangled in the bike jack.....$60 down the drain....anyway, the dealership service dept has this handy dandy little tool that will line everything back up inside. They cost stupid money to buy (what doesn't) but maybe if you talk real nice they may hook you up. You have to take the switch off the frame neck and bring the switch **** with key and get them to line it all up right for you.Be careful when you unplug the wiring harness from the switch. It faces forward and has a little release tab so it will come out. I lined mine up myself with a big flat tip screwdriver after screwing around with it, trial and error (and error and error and error) till I got it right. There are 3 separate sections inside the black plastic switch if you look in there with a flashlight. There are to two slotted sections, one above the other and they are keyed on each side and the keys are not the same size so you have to make sure you have the two section lined up correct and then deep down in the switch you have the part that is the neck lock. All 3 have to turn together in a counter clockwise motion so the the lock goes up. It makes sense to me because I fought with it enough before I figured the damn thing out. Try what I have suggested, either at the dealer or yourself and if that fails PM me and I'll see if I can talk you through it over the phone. I just knew I did this job myself for a reason other than saving money!

Last edited by stogieluvr60; 07-22-2013 at 09:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-22-2013, 07:24 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Old 07-22-2013, 07:28 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Thanks stogie! I tried the screwdriver trick and that's.how I got to just using the on and off part.of the switch. Before it would do nothing and the key could come right off the post. I must need to line it up better inside. This bar swap has been a 2 day project so far and ready to be done with it!!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:31 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

thanks griffen I seen that video how many times I think I use another video one where you pull the switch off when its in the OFF position. Now she is all messed up. Need to align it better somehow. Like I said it works in off and on but can turn to lock or accessory not that I use them lol but want it the right way.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:52 PM
stogieluvr60
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The trick is.......

Thanks stogie! I tried the screwdriver trick and that's.how I got to just using the on and off part.of the switch. Before it would do nothing and the key could come right off the post. I must need to line it up better inside. This bar swap has been a 2 day project so far and ready to be done with it!!
Like I said, the inside of the switch is three parts and all three have to be lined up and turn together as one in order to work. The screwdriver I have is a big ol' Craftsman thats about 14" long and the blade is about 1/2" wide. Probably about the size of that dicked up tool dude made in the video that he so wisely keep all the dimensions of to himself! WTH! Anyway keep at it and you get it!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:53 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior

thanks griffen I seen that video how many times I think I use another video one where you pull the switch off when its in the OFF position. Now she is all messed up. Need to align it better somehow. Like I said it works in off and on but can turn to lock or accessory not that I use them lol but want it the right way.
Same thing happened to me last week putting in my auxiliary lights on my SG. Same exact problem. I used the tool in the video and handle bar straight and then stuck made key in and turned the handlebars to the lock position and you can hear everything just tumble in line together. The trick is do not put the made tool, or screw driver all the way down. Once you hit bottom of the shaft pull up the tool/screwdriver about 3/4 inch then turn tumblers. Worked for me good luck man.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:01 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by stogieluvr60
Like I said, the inside of the switch is three parts and all three have to be lined up and turn together as one in order to work. The screwdriver I have is a big ol' Craftsman thats about 14" long and the blade is about 1/2" wide. Probably about the size of that dicked up tool dude made in the video that he so wisely keep all the dimensions of to himself! WTH! Anyway keep at it and you get it!
I used a 1/4 inch copper tube bent it at 5 inches and flattened it out on 1 side left the other side for a handle. After flattned I turned sideways and lightly tapped to make it into a small v on the bottom to slide by tumblers easy. Worked like a charm. very easy to do.

Attached Thumbnails Street Glide Ignition Switch Messed up!! Wont lock forks or go.to Access-img_20130722_185637_425.jpg  
Old 07-22-2013, 08:21 PM
jmn1960
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

on mine 2005 UC i reinstalled it in the acc, position and turned the key(key only) past the lock postion to the left and walla all was good ,, messed with it for hours then she went right in,, all good,, just lines it all up with a flat screwdriver

Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior

Thank you all so much I will give her another shot soon!!

Quick Reply: Street Glide Ignition Switch Messed up!! Wont lock forks or go.to Access