Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSSM to TSM Issue 2001 FLHR

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:15 PM
minuo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TSSM to TSM Issue 2001 FLHR *SOLVED*

I'm trying to replace the TSSM with a TSM on my '01 FLHR (Carbed TC88). I've found tons and tons of threads on the subject, including the relearning procedure(s) to be used, etc. but nothing is working for me. I'm thinking the TSM I bought (used takeoff from ebay) might be dead, but I thought I'd ask and see if anyone has some different magic I need to try first...

When I replace the TSSM with the TSM the turns work and the ignition switch energizes the speedo and all that. I get the check engine light briefly then it goes out, no security light. This all seems right to me since the "new" module is a TSM and no security. So I try the relearn (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/engin...roceedure.html) and I get to step 4 which says the bike should start then die and I get nothing from the start button. I've tried finishing the procedure several times thinking maybe this year (carb) doesn't do it like that, but no joy.

So, anyone know if there is a different procedure for this generation? I have the FSM and EDM but there isn't anything in the EDM for relearning a TS(S)M. I've seen threads that make it sound like the procedure is for TSSM to new TSSM but I may need a dealer to go from TSSM to TSM, so that may be worth a shot. All the turns work with the TSM in the bike, but the start button acts the same way with no module there so maybe it is dead, any way to tell? The bike otherwise works fine and works fine if I swap back in the original TSSM, so it has to be either the TSM itself or the marriage between it and the ECM...any help/advice anyone can offer would be welcome!

Thanks,
m

Oh, in case anyone is curious, my reasons for the switch are to ditch the H-D security system (and fobs) to replace it with a Digital Guard Dawg system both for the walk-up and ride tech and since I can match the fob to the system in my XL. I'd just leave the TSSM in there but I'm afraid of it arming itself 1000 mi. from home and me not having the H-D fob with me...short of swapping in a TSM is there a way to 100% ensure the H-D security system is not active?

Last edited by minuo; 08-07-2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: solved, title change
Old 08-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Well I keep a copy of the instructions on how to disarm in my billfold in case it arms without my fob but have never needed it.
Pretty sure it is on the manual to be cut out.
Can't help on the marriage part.
Bump

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 08-03-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:35 PM
minuo
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
Well I keep a copy of the instructions on how to disarm in my billfold in case it arms without my fob but have never needed it.
Pretty sure it is on the manual to be cut out.
Can't help on the marriage part.
Bump
Good advice, if I can't get any further with the swap I'll just leave the TSSM and do that...that sounds better to me than paying for a brand new TSM @ $120 just for piece of mind!

Thanks

Old 08-07-2013, 07:31 PM
minuo
6th Gear
Smile *solved*

Just want to follow up in case someone else comes a searching'

So, I thought a bit more and of course the override procedure won't work for my setup since that would require an ignition switch which has been removed. So, I grabbed another TSM off of eBay figuring I'd give it a go and if there was still no joy then I would go to a dealer.

Well, popped the new (truly new, taken off an '01 at the dealer to install a TSSM for this guy) TSM onto the bike and start the learning procedure. Turns out at least one of my prior relearn attempts worked and the password had been cleared as this new module works perfectly. Must have just gotten a bad one from the first eBay purchase...kinda grinds my gears when people sell **** that doesn't work, but that's between me, him, and ebay now.

So, long story short, the learning procedure *does* work with '01s, you just need a good TSM to see the results. Now I don't have to worry about competing security systems leaving me stranded

Old 11-23-2015, 12:42 PM
Sportster-Knee
Intermediate

Bringing this one back from the dead, as I'm dealing with the same issue now.

To be clear, what did you (OP) do that worked, what procedure?

I have an 04 carb'd FLHT here that had a harness fire, so we replaced everything electrical on it. EVERYTHING, full harness, all gauges, TSM, ICM.

I've verified that I do indeed have a TCM (not a TSSM) and have attempted the re-learn/marry process 3 times now with no success.

Bike fires up for about 1 second then security icon comes on and it dies.

One thing puzzling me is that it says in the marry procedure instructions that bikes equipped with only a TSM (non-security type) the security icon will go OUT during the cycles of the ign, but mine stays on...?

So to be clear, I'm trying to ask:

What is the correct procedure for marrying a new (used) TCM to an ICM?

Bike is an 04 FLHT and I used all OEM new/used parts for the correct year.

I'm going friggin nuts here. It wants to fire up but the electronics aren't playing nice!

Old 11-24-2015, 08:02 AM
minuo
6th Gear

Wish I could help, but I've got no magic cure.

I followed the learn procedure (several times) as noted in my first post and had no luck, then just to be real sure I grabbed another (known-new) TSM from eBay and plugged it in. That one worked. My best guess is one (or all for that matter) of my relearn TSSM->TSM attempts worked. The password was cleared and all was well, except the actual TSM was bad. Once I plugged in a good unit everything worked fine.

Sorry I don't have more for you...electrics can be such a PITA, I hear your frustration. I would verify the TSM is good or try another one since they're relatively cheap. Got a buddy with a non-security bike you could swap your unit into to check? In my case I didn't so I just grabbed another one off eBay figuring if it worked, great and if not I'd head into a dealer to figure it out.

Good Luck!

Old 11-24-2015, 09:29 AM
Sportster-Knee
Intermediate

Ok I got it running, after 7 tries on the marry process.
Here's what I think made the difference, for anyone else that comes across this.

The Bank Angle Sensor is inside the TSM on the FL's and there's nothing indicating the correct orientation of the TSM into it's mounting position in the frame (as far as I can tell?). This means that you can mount the TSM into the frame in a manner in which the Bank Angle Sensor is 180* out of position (not happy).

So on my 7'th re-learn/marry attempt this occurred to me and I flipped it 180* before beginning the marry process.
I don't know if that was it, or if I just held my mouth just right and rubbed my belly the right RPM this time, but it worked.

She fired right up and all's well.

That really SUCKED.

Oh PS:

There was ONE other thing I also did differently this time too. On the LAST off/on/off cycle of the Ign Switch (the one before you turn it off for 15 sec before trying to start it at the end) instead of just cycling it off/on/off (quickly) I did a quick off/on, then waited til the security light had flashed once and gone off before turning off the final time.
On my last 6 attempts I'd done a quick off/on, watched the red key light go out (took about 2-3 seconds) and turned off for the 15 second wait before starting. This time I did the off/on, the light went off after 2-3 seconds, but then flashed on again after maybe another 5 seconds, then off after a few more. That's when I turned it off... FWIW?

Last edited by Sportster-Knee; 11-24-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 09:35 AM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 911 Likes on 662 Posts

That is annoying. Glad you figured it out.