Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Infotainment gps - pathetic

Old 08-26-2013, 02:30 AM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't start using a GPS on my bike till I got over here to Germany. Being in another country and trying to tour really gives you an appreciation for GPS. Everything isn't for everybody. If you don't use a gps good for you. But for those of us that do, we want a gps that works. For now I think I'll keep my SG and my $169.00 Tomtom.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:49 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthpawHD
DING DING DING!!! That's correct.

Sorry OP, but if GPS is your only concern (or at least the biggest), you are really missing out on what true riding is all about.

Now don't get me wrong, you stated you have 100k on in 3 years - that's impressive. But take a step back, and remind yourself why you got into riding in the first place... The wind, the smells, the sounds of the bike, not for GPS waypoints.
He bought the bike with 99K on it, lol lol lol

Old 08-26-2013, 03:32 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I purchased a touring to get to my destination on two wheels in comfort. So, I ride the interstate and US highway system to get there. My 'ride" doesn't start till I reach my destination, but I still like to plan my "ride", using a GPS and way points, makes my days easier and more enjoyable. Yes, I do carry maps for the day GPS will fail, but I have yet to have my GPS fail on a trip.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:29 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts

Weather you use a gps or don't that's your choice. I for one keep it in my bike at all times just in case you need it. I do like having the ability to layout your route on a computer and then load it on the gps. Never liked harleys ride planner, maybe they need to upgrade that pos to be similar to Garmins. I would much rather use a GPS while touring than have to pull over dig out the map, fiqure out where I am and how to get where I am going. Spent years doing that while snowmobiling and hated it then. I think I will keep my 2012 and see how things look in 16 by then maybe they will have the kinks worked out.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:23 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,178 Likes on 2,449 Posts

Originally Posted by ks6c
But as it looks now, Harley has screwed the pooch and delivered Touring bikes that won't tour....
i think this is kinda a weak point. an inconvenience for some maybe, but i guess all those guys from before gps never did any touring?

the op sounds like he uses his systems to the fullest of its capabilities whereas the majority of us barely scratch the surface. i have a gps. an old tom tom. i don't use it on the bike as the screen is too hard to see in the sun. but, the only reason i would use it is to get me found after i got lost. maybe one day i'll get a decent gps, but right now it isn't necessary. unfortunately i don't have the time to ride 30k + per year. i'm doing good to get 12k..... but i'm having fun doing it.

Last edited by skratch; 08-26-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:34 AM
ja57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 91 Posts

My paper folding maps still work just fine.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:40 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ja57
My paper folding maps still work just fine.
We get it tough guy, you don't use GPS. OP doesn't care. Why post here?

Old 08-26-2013, 07:05 AM
bissjim
Cruiser

As someone said, the gps is pretty important to me for a couple of reasons - I hit 44 States last year, rode Key West to Deadhorse, Alaska, and covered Maine and California along the way. I'm retired. I'm lucky. I ride. And I couldn't do the kind of riding I do without a gps.

Cell phone gps's are fine for what they are, but I'm very often in places with no cell phone coverage especially out west here, so generally not an option.

Top that off with the fact that Harley didn't price that built-in gps at $0. If I'm paying for something, I want it to work, and if it won't work the way I expect, I want a work-around. I don't want a damn $1,000 brick in the dash that prevents other good technology from working.

And I did get into riding for the winds, the smells, and the sounds of my bike - and to get out of my neighborhood, wayyyyy out!
Ditto!

Old 08-26-2013, 07:21 AM
bissjim
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Who you calling 70? Turned 59 this year <LOL>

For those wondering what 100K looks like, I carry a SPOT tracker so my wife and kids can follow me on these solo trips. Here's my track since the bike was new in May, 2010.
Way to go, I turned 62 in Dec and have put over 150K on 3 bikes since retiring in 2006. Do not pay attention to those who just have to find fault with someone else's life. GPS stops me from riding highways.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

The shop doesn't know for sure, but the gps does not seem to be a Garmin engine, as the firmware and map references are different and the literature says it is designed to work with the online Harley Ride Planner.
I agree with the shops still coming up to speed on all this and they are all "full of not knowing"

I had some of the same questions and concerns and could not get answers from ANY of the local shops so I went to the source. HD customer service confirmed for me that Garmin does in fact provide the map engine, maps, updates will be available from the Garmin website as they are now twice a year, and to my understanding Garmin is not going to provide (i'm sure thanks to HD wanting to make $ on the deal) lifetime update subscriptions for these units.

So, to confirm what HD confirmed I contact Garmin and was given the same information however they would not elaborate at all on the lifetime update subscription which solidified my earlier comment of HD wanting to make $ everytime maps were updated.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Infotainment gps - pathetic