Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a Garage Door Transmitter in a 2014 Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deleted

Last edited by Boltsfaninmo; 09-15-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:02 PM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

So don't use the yellow?

Old 09-16-2013, 05:31 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Any pictures for further reference? Thanks!

Old 09-16-2013, 09:52 PM
solutionsville
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the transmitter, and the 69200722 cable. Thanks for the information. I am not sure where to connect up the pigtail cable, and where am I to pickup the wires you mention?

the BCM is under the left side panel. Am I to plug in there or is there somewhere in the faring I am supposed to plug into?

Thanks,

Originally Posted by ThisIsCrazy
For the 2014 models you need the connector cable 69200722. You connect the black to black and violet/blue to orange/white. What the directions skip is that you need to splice the white wire on the transmitter into the blue/white wire going to the high-beem in the front fairing. It now works.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Amazing! You give yourself the name Solutionsville. Which would indicate you are good at coming up with solutions. Which would indicate you can do more than plug and play. Two people (me one on them) give you SOLUTIONS that are cheaper, get the job done quick, and mine is even CLEANER hten this factory kit...but 21 days later and you are still screwing around with making this kit work!?

Old 09-16-2013, 11:05 PM
solutionsville
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I normally am able to figure out what goes where in any situation. I have the service manual and supplements on order, and will figure this out eventually. I am not punching a time clock on this. My expertise is not in Motorcycle / Automotive electronics, and am confident in my abilities to chase and solve most problems.

Yes your solution was a cleaner cheaper solution. I already had the transmitter, and the cable was not that expensive.

Cost is not the point for me here. I want to keep 100% original where I can. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I respect yours. If I did not say it previously, thank you for your suggestion.

Originally Posted by Dew Me
Amazing! You give yourself the name Solutionsville. Which would indicate you are good at coming up with solutions. Which would indicate you can do more than plug and play. Two people (me one on them) give you SOLUTIONS that are cheaper, get the job done quick, and mine is even CLEANER hten this factory kit...but 21 days later and you are still screwing around with making this kit work!?

Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 AM
ThisIsCrazy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Mount the transmitter in the front fairing where either the equalizer or CB would go with circuitry facing up. You can also mount it so the circuitry is facing forward which may give you better range.
2. The white wire from the transmitter is spliced to the Blue/White wire going to the high-beem.
3. Now you'll need to remove the gas tank which is easier than it sounds. Remove the 50AMP main breaker. There are two bolts under your seat and two bolts under the front of the tank (covered by rubber caps), remove all 4 bolts. There is a compression fitting under the left side of the tank. The ring slides up and the hose is pulled down. A few drops of gas may come out but nothing a little rag wont catch. There is one cable with a quick disconnect and two gas oversplill lines you'll just pull out.
4. Take the tank off and set it aside on a blanket. Under the tank is where all the wires are ran. Take the cap off and you'll see all the wires that are ran from the fairing to the seat. This is where you'll put the wires from the transmitter.
5. You'll need some either 18 or 20 AWG wire to run the BLACK wire from the transmitter to under your seat. This is ground so if you want you can also just run it to a ground in the fairing. Since I had to run power to the accesory cable I ran the ground with it.
6. The next two wires from the transmitter are the Black wire and the Orange/White wires. Run them from the fairing to the cable try under the tank and to under the seat.
7. Take the accesory power cable (69200722) and connect it to the Accessory Connector under the left side cover. (I'll try to attach a picture)
8. Run the other end of that cable through a hole under the left side cover to the battery compartment and secure it in that area with a zip tie.
9. Splice the Black wire on the Acc cable to the Black wire on the transmitter.
10. Splice the Violet/Blue wire on the Acc cable to the Orange/White wire on the transmitter.
11. Make sure all splices are weather proof.
12. Put the tank back on, tighen all 4 bolts and connect the connector you pulled apart in step 3. Re-run the fuel overspill lines through the same path you removed them from. Connect the fuel line on the left side.
13. Put the 50AMP breaker back and and follow the instructions for pairing the transmitter and receiver.

Let me know how it goes.

Attached Thumbnails Installing a Garage Door Transmitter in a 2014 Ultra Limited-aux_switch.jpg  

Last edited by ThisIsCrazy; 09-17-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:00 AM
ThisIsCrazy
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by barrygreen
So don't use the yellow?
I didn't have a yellow wire. Is the yellow wire on your transmitter? If so, what other wires/colors do you have on the transmitter?

Old 09-17-2013, 08:10 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by ThisIsCrazy
I didn't have a yellow wire. Is the yellow wire on your transmitter? If so, what other wires/colors do you have on the transmitter?
Black, Orange/White, Yellow, White. total of 4 wires

Old 09-17-2013, 08:21 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member

Black is ground, Orange White is power, Yellow is low beam and White is high beam.
Wired like this it will not work on my '14 SGS but it did on my '13 Switchback.

Quick Reply: Installing a Garage Door Transmitter in a 2014 Ultra Limited