Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New compensator will be available as retro fit kit

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 12:56 AM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skydude426
I've been thinking the same way. If the compensators arn't getting enough lubrication using formula +, wouldn't a synthetic motor cycle oil that has no friction modifiers be a better choice? I like your idea of just a little more fluid in the primary, like only 2 to 4 ounces would probably be enough to sling the fluid around better without interfering with the clutch.
I wouldn't do that. There is a reason for the oil just touching the clutch when it's on the jiffy stand. You won't like the way the clutch acts with more oil. Ask me how I know.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:27 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishrrman
[[ Does anybody think we should be returning to the lightweight oil in the primary that the MOCO has been telling us we should be using? ]]

I use RevTech primary chaincase lubricant -- which seems to be the same product that HD sold for MANY years as HD "Primary Chaincase Lubricant", but withdrew from the market when they came out with "Syn 3" (or whatever you call it). You can't get this from HD any more.

I'll keep using the RevTech primary lube as long as they sell it.

What better to put into the primary, than the original product that was specifically designed to be used there?
So far so good.......! (we have now digressed towards the often dreaded oil thread!!

Wonder what will happen if the glue lets go of the little plastic thingie in that oily environment?????

Attached Thumbnails New compensator will be available as retro fit kit-primary-fluid.jpg  

Last edited by mike5511; 09-02-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:25 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

So let me get this straight...the new and improved solution is to GLUE A PLASTIC FUNNEL INSIDE THE OILY PRIMARY AND HOPE THAT IT DOES NOT COME LOOSE AND GET CAUGHT IN THE PRIMARY CHAIN OR SOMETHING SIMILAR...WITH THE POTENTIAL RESULTING DAMAGE...I'll watch the testing from the sideline...I agree it's a serious problem, not sure of this solution at all...

Old 09-02-2013, 04:44 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
I agree with Joe, time will tell if the new design will work and those of you who bought a new bike will be the test subjects. As far as the oil viscosity, the Formula + appears to have the same consistency of a 30-40 weight and it would be safe to say a 5-40 oil like Rotella for example should do fine in there. The chain flow slings the oil to the back of the primary and by the time the chain comes back around to the compensator I don't believe there's a whole lot of oil left on the chain to 'drip' down the plastic 'tray' to flow oil to the components. It almost seems like some type of pumping action is required to get the flow they are proposing with the plastic 'trays'. Why don't they just put a damn gear in place of the chain and be done with it, that way part of the gears would be submersed in oil part of the time and problem solved.
Here is what Forumal + is:

Harley Davidson FORMULA+ Trans and Primary Chaincase VOA

Petroleum based.

Ca 169
P 230
B 210
S - some
Zn - essentially none
No other elemental additives.

Vis. within SAE 50 range.

Listed as a GL-1, does test out as a GL-3.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...039#Post926039

Old 09-02-2013, 05:27 AM
ardakota
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

And Harley in their infinite wisdom to make money off a big problem they are having sell you a compensator kit with these plastic splash guards but do not include the glue with the kit which then they want another 40 bucks for that.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:28 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There have been some oil passages milled along the way in some of the hard parts with the addition of the deflector.
If indeed lubrication (or lack there of) is the root cause, this should "help" in resolving.
Time will tell. I had about 60K on my Standard when I traded it, and plan on putting that on my Classic, as is, without the mod, and will see how it goes.
There are peeps who have put 100K on their machines without a hiccup from the compensators, so, who knows.......

Old 09-02-2013, 06:08 AM
Black_Hog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SubZer0
How about going back to what they used before the "F" it all up.
That's what I was thinking.

I had 81,000 miles on my 1986 FL without problems.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:10 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I thought this was old news by now, but here are some drawings of the newly designed compensator, the oil passage efforts, and the oil deflector:

The 2014's have a metallic deflector forged into the primary outer cover in the same place the retro-fit plastic deflector will go in pre-2014 models. I would say that marine-grade JB Weld should do well to hold that piece of plastic in place. (but only after the proper cure time) If you noticed, it looks like it is also held by some kind of metal clip (which in my opinion is not very robust looking at all).

As I said earlier, how can oil pass inward toward the splined shaft when centrifugal force wants to sling it in the opposite direction? I don't see the angle or orientation of the grooves as a solution to this problem because the centrifugal force is always present and would, in my opinion, overpower any potential oil entry from the outside of the assembly.

Last edited by Lowcountry Joe; 09-02-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,547 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Thanks for the explanation Joe. Some big changes from 14 years ago.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:15 AM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default cxompensator

Ok guys, excuse my ignorance about this issue. I have a 1988 FLHS that turned just over 200,000 miles this summer.....and never had an issue with my compensator sprocket. So I have never paid any attention to posts concerning them.

But now that I've read this post, and I have a 2011, I wonder just what percenatge of the bikes have this problem? What did they change from 1988 to now that is causing this? I gotta ask how Harley screwed this up?

I"ve run all kinds of oils in my primaries, but have been using Rotella 15w-40 for the past several yrs. If oiling is the issue, why can't one just install the new baffle to help lubricate the compensator? I'd think thinner oils would help also. I may switch to some 5w-40 next time I change it out, and run it a little higher in the primary too.

Quick Reply: New compensator will be available as retro fit kit