Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   My 14 Limited Dumped All Its Coolant.. Lots Of Pics.. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/904459-my-14-limited-dumped-all-its-coolant-lots-of-pics.html)

baldridge 11-29-2013 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Boltsfaninmo (Post 12038943)
Wow. Are service centers really this stupid? I hope not all of them are.

It's a slow leak, but if you wait a couple minutes you can see it getting wet there. Wait another 10 or so and you start seeing larger drops and then hitting the ground. I didn't question it this time, because I thought maybe the coolant was following the hose down... I should have checked it before I left.

Boltsfaninmo 11-29-2013 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by baldridge (Post 12039076)
It's a slow leak, but if you wait a couple minutes you can see it getting wet there. Wait another 10 or so and you start seeing larger drops and then hitting the ground. I didn't question it this time, because I thought maybe the coolant was following the hose down... I should have checked it before I left.

Yea, but you pointed out to them where it was leaking. They should have known that had nothing to do with the bottle neck.

flyingrider 12-26-2013 08:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys! Happy holidays to all of you from Italy!! Finally after I ordered in September I just received in my place (Catania, Sicily ITALY) my Ultra Limited '14. Compare to my previous 2002 ultra classic I have to admit it's really nice to drive! Reading all your interesting posts in these months I was already aware of some coolant issue....That's a picture after my first 80 miles...What do you think? On Recall page says only about:
Product Notice: 0916: PRD PGM:2014 TWIN-COOL FILL NK
How was your initial issue? Seen that it doesn't look that the leak is from the drain in your experience is due to a defect on thermostat or pump? Thanks a lot for your help!
Kind regards

Greg2012FLHTK 12-26-2013 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by flyingrider (Post 12127632)
Hi guys! Happy holidays to all of you from Italy!! Finally after I ordered in September I just received in my place (Catania, Sicily ITALY) my Ultra Limited '14. Compare to my previous 2002 ultra classic I have to admit it's really nice to drive! Reading all your interesting posts in these months I was already aware of some coolant issue....That's a picture after my first 80 miles...What do you think? On Recall page says only about:
How was your initial issue? Seen that it doesn't look that the leak is from the drain in your experience is due to a defect on thermostat or pump? Thanks a lot for your help!
Kind regards

That is the thermostat leak that we are talking about. They still don't have a fix for it. They will just keep replacing it till they get one that doesn't leak. Mine started leaking at 1,160 miles. The dealer received 2 new thermostats that leaked as soon as they installed them and tested the bike. The third one they tried hasn't leaked in 400 miles now. Good luck.

highmarket 12-26-2013 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Greg2012FLHTK (Post 12127652)
That is the thermostat leak that we are talking about. They still don't have a fix for it. They will just keep replacing it till they get one that doesn't leak. Mine started leaking at 1,160 miles. The dealer received 2 new thermostats that leaked as soon as they installed them and tested the bike. The third one they tried hasn't leaked in 400 miles now. Good luck.

A good friend has a new wet head and had the same leak after two replacements, he had a long trip planned and took it on him self to cut the plastic elbow off, drill out the welded insert and tapped, installed a brass elbow.
Two weeks into his trip no leak yet as of a tx message from him yesterday.

offthewall 12-26-2013 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by highmarket (Post 12128097)
A good friend has a new wet head and had the same leak after two replacements, he had a long trip planned and took it on him self to cut the plastic elbow off, drill out the welded insert and tapped, installed a brass elbow.
Two weeks into his trip no leak yet as of a tx message from him yesterday.

I've been wondering myself why HD just doesn't do something like that. I mean connecting a hose to a vehicle part so it doesn't leak isn't rocket science.

Stacy73 03-25-2014 08:41 AM

Had all three fixes. Been riding for a week now (the snow is finally gone), without a problem. Hopefully it's fixed. Going to Rolling Thunder in May and that will tell the story.

rmc115 03-25-2014 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by flyingrider (Post 12127632)
Kind regards

Yes, that is the current problem and a previous post put a brass elbow in. the filler neck update does not address the elbow. Mike

Boltsfaninmo 03-25-2014 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Stacy73 (Post 12488471)
Had all three fixes. Been riding for a week now (the snow is finally gone), without a problem. Hopefully it's fixed. Going to Rolling Thunder in May and that will tell the story.

Great news, and thanks for the update. :)