Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trip review of 2014 Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Sporty 66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are the handlebars any different (more pullback).

Old 09-12-2013, 02:16 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty 66
Are the handlebars any different (more pullback).
Are you referring to the stock bars? No difference that I noticed. I changed mine to the Klockwerks ERG back that I had just put on my 09.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:49 PM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dougyf
I kind of have to agree with eshaw301 & his thoughts on the new limited. I took 3 demo rides in the last 10 days on a limited & the things that were most noticeable to me were the linked brakes are very nice but if you use the front & rears together on the none linked Brembo equipped baggers the result is identical. The vent does reduce buffeting considerably when it's open ,but the stock shield is also lower than the older bikes so you get more air hitting you especially if you're tall. I felt a modest increase in power over my stock 09 ultra but nothing like the guy who started the thread is stating. The audio system sounded the same as my 09 but to be fair I usually play cd's and on the 14 it was fm stations. Handling felt the same as my 09. My stock tires have 16,000 miles on them so of course the new limited leaned over & turned easier compared to my flattened out & scalloped tires. Sometimes you tend to be so charged up about your new purchase that you can't help but exaggerate a bit. I also felt some heat on the right side, similar to my 09. Read the report on ride apart.com. Under reviews. And having said all that I am sure I will get a 14 or 15 but I really don't think they are as much of a difference overall from the 09 thru the 13' s as this thread implies. I also rode a 14 cvo and that bike pulls like an 1800 gold wing. But it's nice to see someone so enthused about his new purchase. Great review & pics. Thanks for taking the time.
IMHO I have to disagree with you. Not because I need to justify spending the money on a 2014 but because it does all that this review says it does or at least it does for me also. BTW, I traded my 2009 Ultra for this new one. It has more power, rides better, handles better, radio is far superior than the 09 Radio.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Kugie's HOG
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for a great review. I only have 543 miles on my new limited and so far I agree with everything you said. I use the CB & the only thing I don't like about it is that they moved the PTT switch on the right side. Not a good idea in my opinion. I also use GPS, but make my own routes in base camp. Now I have to use 9 waypoints, via points or whatever HD wants to call them. I'm taking a 23000 mile trip next month so I'll see if the GPS will do what I want it to do.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:52 PM
iunlocku
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you replace the OEM luggage rack with the air wing rack? I like the way it looks over stock, but if it comes as stock one less thing to change.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:03 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by iunlocku
Did you replace the OEM luggage rack with the air wing rack? I like the way it looks over stock, but if it comes as stock one less thing to change.
I did change it over, yes. I had just put the air wing on my 09 a month ago, so when I swapped bikes, I swapped the racks as I like the look of the air wing, even though the stock one is a bit larger. In case you guys didn't know, the air wing is a direct swap for the stock. Same bolt hole pattern.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:05 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member

Your welcome to all those who said thank you for the review.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Spankinhenken
Cruiser

Great review. Awesome road pics. Nice looking lady. Looks like you are loving life my friend

Old 09-16-2013, 04:31 PM
BluesFan43
Stage I

Had to re register to post this.

I traded my 2010 Limited for a 2014 for 2 reasons.

The promise of a slightly cooler ride and I like the new Daytona Blue Pearl.

After 1000 miles I have a small aggravation with the radio, it won't skip forward on an iPod or USB stick song list.

The handlebars on the previous bike were a nightmare after 4 different tries, Something on the 14 is slightly different, seat to bar ergonomics maybe. I may still change them, but so far I am OK.

Power is better, legs are cooler. So that worked out.

Handling is much better, when it was brand new I was just barely allowed to ride any at all (Post op gall bladder explosion) so I was very gentle and even then noticed that it seemed less "upsettable"

As I have gotten myself back up to speed I feel that the handling is indeed better.
Off camber curves are fine, as are fast sweepers. It does indeed handle much better, which I attribute to the stiffer front end.

The worst place I routinely ride is the transition from the road into my neighborhood. There is a drop, a short flat, and a rise, all in a few feet and that has been caution inducing on my 2010, and my previous Springer. It is now drama free.

Overall, I'm pretty tickled with it.

Old 09-16-2013, 05:38 PM
RSDUDA
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flyingace
Hehe. Sure makes ya feel dumb huh?
1500 miles I guess I am a slow learner
still doing it https://www.hdforums.com/forum/image...s/icon_doh.gif

Quick Reply: Trip review of 2014 Ultra Limited