Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 is a game changer! (studied HD.com)

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 03:01 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Default 2014 is a game changer! (studied HD.com)

Just got finished playing on HD's website. They seem to have covered just about everything. More than I could have ever guessed. Not all good, but I'll admit I'm not always one that likes change.

Pros/Cons/Changes, etc:

→CVO RK lost audio-Wrong direction. Not only should it have audio but the regular King should have it as an option.
→No RKC. We've all known this for a while but it still stinks. Not my favorite model but with the Indian coming out that seemed like it would best compete with Indian.
→No RG's but we all knew that too. It'll be exciting to see them next year. I still beleive it to be both superior to the batwing and uglier than the batwing. Maybe that'll change?
→Handlebar controls have been changed. I don't like them. Maybe they'll work better but they certainly don't look better. They look Asian.
→The vent in the batwing. I don't care for its looks but it seems it will fix all the buffeting we complain about.
→They beefed up the front forks on touring bikes. Which includes all new steering head bearings. Seems like they listened to everybody complaining. No mention of anything like TrueTrack, but this is still big and something nobody has mentioned yet.
→Radio: We have been seeing the new exciting one but there are actually two radios. The other isn't very exciting at all.
→The shift indicator in one of the gauges will now read out EVERY gear which I think is really cool.
→Reflex brakes. Hydraulics are separate so you wouldn't loose both brakes at the same time. They separate at parking lot speeds to help keep you from dumping it. But at highway speeds hit either brake will make both brakes apply in the best possible stopping percentages. I think this is good. Or it might just be something else to break.
→BT and voice commands sounds great but I'm thinking ya gotta be wearing a 3/4 or FF helmet and who really does that?
→Special jacket? They actually used the wind tunnel to design a jacket so the vents match the vent in the batwing perfectly. Harley thinks of everything don't they?
→Side bags can now be opened with one hand. Gone is that somewhat awkward mechanism. Yay! But the dumbasses kept the ugly bag latch on the outside by turning it into a simple hinge with lock, that may have shrunk just the littlest bit? It also says there is more storage but they may be being sneaky. May only be b/c the lids bulge.
→TP is all LED. This should have occurred when the LED running lights were added. TP also has a single latch now. That single latch is just a little too big though and I think there is more to it than the previous two put together. They say the TP is both larger and sleeker.
→Push button gas door. Likely the one everybody says breaks and is worthless?
→Longer armrests for passenger.
→Some of the fenders are cut off to show more tire. (Probably more to save money)
→I think each channel on radio has an additional 5 watts? Oh my! *LOL*
→Obviously the water cooling on 3 models. It's not cooling very much as everything but the exaust port is still air cooled. There are a lot of hoses to make that happen. How much is it going to do? How much will it blow? Where will it blow? Can rider control it? How loud will it be? Can it be bypassed for lowers can be made quick disconnect?
→Speakers in lowers seem to have been effected. Different shape.
→HID headlights are now standard. (Something else that should have already happened)
→Looks like the air suspension is now more easily adjustable? It wasn't real clear.
→Std battery charging harness is nice.
→SG gets a 19" but other touring bikes still have 17's.
→That SG special is $2K more than the regular SG!?

Last but not least pricing: $1,300 more for a SG and $1,800 more for a Limited than last year? Sounds pretty step to me.

They have addressed an awful lot. I'm sure I've missed stuff. Not sure I like all the changes. Not sure I believe they will be reliable. Time will tell. There are also likely negative that have not come out yet. Like, I think I heard not long ago that Harley would soon release gauges that are matched to a bike and cannot be removed. Thus eliminating the aftermarket. If that is true it likely just happened. As I continue to customize my bike I will certainly keep these things in mind. I still believe I will keep my current bike forever.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:08 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

As an Ultra owner, I noticed right off the saddlebag guards are missing on the 2014. Front fender bumper, also.

The Ultra Limited has a 103 Twin Cooled Twin Cam, with 10 to 1 compression.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:37 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I will wait for all the hype to calm down. Maybe in a few years I will take an interest but not anytime soon. Big Red is still new to me and barely broken in, gonna enjoy what I have now. Besides that, she gets jealous real easy when another bike gets close, lol..

Old 08-19-2013, 04:19 AM
Bigpoppa_Junior
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by my67pnycar
I will wait for all the hype to calm down. Maybe in a few years I will take an interest but not anytime soon. Big Red is still new to me and barely broken in, gonna enjoy what I have now. Besides that, she gets jealous real easy when another bike gets close, lol..
Couldn't agree more. Plus I'm happy with my 2012 limited.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:13 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't believe they put a goldwing vent in the middle of my fairing. For "20%" less buffeting? Should have just put fork deflectors on it. I'm guessing the "chrome" cover for that vent is 79.99! That infotainment system looks like a good way to distract the rider but I'm glad they finally caught up with everyone else with regard to braking, passenger comfort and lighting. The best part is, in 5 years, I'll be able to get one with very low mileage cheap!

Old 08-19-2013, 06:02 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an Ultra owner, I noticed right off the saddlebag guards are missing on the 2014. Front fender bumper, also.
Ahh, so at least they are trying to make them look better......

Shakey

Old 08-19-2013, 06:18 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I wounder how much more HP the motors are rate, I see that peak torque is at 3750, wounder what the red line is. Is it still the same engine, other than the new heads?

Old 08-19-2013, 06:38 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

One of the biggest improvements I see is a new 49 mm front suspension with a stiffer spring and new sealed steering head bearing.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:03 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am willing to gve the new changes a chance. and Maybe by the time I am back ina situation where I can buy a new rig again they will have the bugs worked out.

Last edited by Garemlin; 08-19-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:07 AM
Larry Davis
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

With the LED's added to the TP they did away with the bar and turn signals at the rear light. Just to save cost? Can't have too much light in rear.

Quick Reply: 2014 is a game changer! (studied HD.com)