Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Ultra Limited Test ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 12:00 PM
Welderman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2014 Ultra Limited Test ride

First off, let me state that currently ride an 09 Screamin Eagle Road Glide. I have a detachable Tour-Pak and Lowers. SE-251 cams, SEST, V&H Power Duals, BUB 7 Mufflers, 13" rear shocks. I rode out to the test ride without the TP on. My bike was Dyno last year @ 96 hp and 103 ft lbs tq. This is what I am comparing to on this test ride.
This morning I went to my local dealer, Smokey Mountain Harley, and test drove a new 2014 Ultra Limited.
(1) Upon sitting on the bike - it felt decent, not bad for a stock seat.
(2) Starting the bike - easy, but quiet, exhaust sounded a little tinny. Could be cause of what I am used to.
(3) Initial ride - smooth taking off, power from a stop to cruising is decent, not exactly what I am used to, but really did not get on it. Still very good.
(4) Riding down the highway -
(A) one of the first things I noticed was how light and nimble this bike felt, even lighter than my RG without the Tour-Pak on.
(B) the fairing vent does work, tried opening and closing while running 60 mph down the road. I also notice how much less wind I got past my ears on the Limited compared to the RG. I look over both shields about the same and the shield on my RG is wider. That being said, you do get more wind at the knees on the Ultra.
(C) linked brake system does as others have stated, hit the front brake only and the nose will start to dive slightly and then the bike just levels out as you can feel the back brakes grab as well.
(D) hand controls - take just a little getting used to but very easy to work. Cruise works good and easier to use on the left side. I did try the nav system and it is very easy to read while riding. The stereo works very good, (sound) wise, although I did notice that auto volume was not working but it may have been turned off. I have read of a lot of issues with this feature. Will take getting used to changing stations, but that would come use. Of coarse you don't have to lean forward like you do on the RG, but goes without saying.
(E) rolling on the throttle while cruising is very good, even in low RPM's, better than my RG.
(5) Handling - I feel that this definitely handles better and the ride is better - smoother.
Over all, I am impressed with this scoot. Heat does not seem to be an issue but the short test ride, (6) miles or so is not enough to verify that.
Now the misses and I have to decide if we want to give up the SERG for the new Limited or not. I will be taking a beating on the RG if I trad it in because of the milage, (57,000). I bought it to ride, not look at it parked in the garage. We do plan on more trips in the future and want to be more comfortable, this is why we are looking.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Attached Thumbnails 2014 Ultra Limited Test ride-img_0010.jpg  
Old 09-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd list your RG on Chopper Exchange or Cycle Trader for a bit before trading. Because of the low production numbers, they are in demand especially since they are not yet in the 2014 lineup.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Welderman
Advanced

I will consider those options. I am not in a hurry, although I do not want to rack up many more miles if I do decide to go new. That being said, I will not stop riding.
Thx.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:18 PM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They must have just got that bike in or they were hiding it in the back. I was there last Thursday and they only had Ultra Classics. As far as trading your bike in.... If you are reasonably happy with it, I would wait. It definitely seems like there are still plenty of bugs to be worked out with these early production models. I've been pondering the move myself, but after reading all the issues that have crept up on the forums over the past couple weeks, I think I will wait. If anything, I am now leaning toward getting an Ultra Classic if I were to trade mine in.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Welderman
Advanced

It is the sand tan that they have had for a few days now. I saw it Saturday when I stopped in. I have been contemplating a test ride for a while now and had the time to do it this morning.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:52 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Thanks for the info. I'm be keeping my 2011 FLTRX 103. Great right up.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:04 PM
desertwolf
Road Master
Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

Your SERG is one sharp bike. Dont know if I could part with it.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Welderman
Advanced

Thx, that does make the decision harder.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:28 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 266 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Welderman
I will be taking a beating on the RG if I trad it in because of the milage, (57,000). I bought it to ride, not look at it parked in the garage. We do plan on more trips in the future and want to be more comfortable, this is why we are looking.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome.
Your SERG is in a different class than my bike is in, but I'm dealing with a similar mileage situation with my 09 SG coming up on 50k miles. Figure once it trips 50k, the mileage factor is going to make it considerably less desirable in the market. I prefer to sell outright but most buyers probably don't want a higher mileage bike especially with many low mileage used bikes available.

One strategy I am considering is purchasing a 3 year H-D extended warranty. If I did that, I'd probably ride it another year or so (until 2015 are out) and then hopefully still having 18-24 months remaining on the warranty could make it "sellable" in the market place. My understanding is that up until 75,000 miles, H-D will put an extended warranty on a bike. My dealer says the bike would have to be inspected by them and declared "warrantable".

Not a fan of extended warranties but if it gives a potential buyer enough of a warm fuzzy feeling to buy my bike then it could be a useful tool.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Slash
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 111 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Welderman
I will consider those options. I am not in a hurry, although I do not want to rack up many more miles if I do decide to go new. That being said, I will not stop riding.
Thx.
That CVO RoadGlide is a head turner,it doesn't need an infotainment system to rock.

The new HD's are ok but a dime a dozen compared to your Scream'in RG.Hell I'd keep that black and orange beauty and find a sweet deal on a used GoldWing or other ricer burner to soak up the high milage stuff.

Quick Reply: 2014 Ultra Limited Test ride