Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'14 hidden antenna install and radio views

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 10:20 AM
flatlander68
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ycats
so the local H-D shop is telling me that the reason my Boom Audio hidden antenna doesn't pick up anything but static is b/c I need to purchase the Fairing Power Extension Harness P/N 69200921. Doesn't make sense to me but has anyone purchased this and does it have anything to do with the strenght of the antenna signal???? Going to order the J&M one and swap it out and see if there is a difference in the meantime.
Hello, new here...
That harness is for those that have the amp (per the instructions for the hidden antenna) which you posted you added.
That harness is for the power (antenna/amp) isn't it and if your red LED is on on the hidden antenna its getting power.
So how whould that be the problem with reception, again if the red LED is on ?

I am having the same problem its hooked up correctly I do not have the amp and reception is sucking a big one now with the HD hidden antenna.

Old 04-13-2014, 02:04 PM
JMJOHN
Platinum Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

well ,,, I would think that the Harley hidden antenna would need to get power to operate, as it's capture area is very limited, compared to the J&M ,,,,,,

before scrapping the Harley antenna, make sure that the little light does come on ,,,,,, and if it does, and reception is still poor ,,,,, give this one a try http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....D=FPA-HCFM14-P ,,,,,,

the J&M hidden antenna is a completely passive unit, ((no extra power needed) which we have found is much simpler and more reliable than the powered type, regardless of brand ,,,,,

Old 05-06-2014, 03:33 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

nevermind found my answer

Last edited by jcapps; 05-06-2014 at 04:00 PM.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:06 PM
jimmy1439
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

A couple of folks have asked about performance. I installed the hidden antenna a couple weeks ago and the performance is about the same, maybe slightly better. I can get a rock station in Memphis a little more of the time that I could get before(about 80 miles).

jcapps, if you can't find a part number or the plug somewhere, pm me your address and I will send you mine if you want. I don't need it and it is still sitting on the workbench collecting dust.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:41 AM
ycats
Novice

So just to provide some feedback; I had purchased the H-D Hidden Antenna and installed it on my Street Glide. Couldn't get anything in. Took it out and replaced it with the J&M Audio Hidden Antenna and now get good reception. I live in a very rural area so I know that plays a role in the reception and is no fault of either hidden antenna. Of note; the J&M antenna was about $30 cheaper.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:32 AM
hanny
Road Captain

I went to the j&m antenna as well. It works better then the harley hidden one

Old 05-07-2014, 08:00 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy1439
A couple of folks have asked about performance. I installed the hidden antenna a couple weeks ago and the performance is about the same, maybe slightly better. I can get a rock station in Memphis a little more of the time that I could get before(about 80 miles).

jcapps, if you can't find a part number or the plug somewhere, pm me your address and I will send you mine if you want. I don't need it and it is still sitting on the workbench collecting dust.
That's what I was looking for. I found the number and ordered it. I appreciate the kind offer, thank you. I am going with the J&M hidden antenna kit. Will probably add the amp and speaker kit but I am going to see about expanding my business and adding motorcycle parts.

Old 05-29-2014, 12:15 PM
luke21314
Stage I
Default update

Originally Posted by Rustrtal
The two issues I have are the crackling and the GPS icon changing back to an arrow after shut down/start up.
Go to harley website and download the update for the 2014 boom! System to a USB drive and follow the instructions in your user manual to update your bike. It has quite a few bug fixes. It worked great on mine.