Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Street Glide Special or a EG Ultra Limited?

Old 10-06-2013, 08:27 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 76 Posts
Default 2014 Street Glide Special or a EG Ultra Limited?

I'm appealing to the board for some advice. Feel free to flame on because it's part of the fun.

I'm very intirigued with all the improvements in the 2014's and thinking about trading my 2010 Deluxe and my 2010 Street Glide for either a 2014 Street Glide Special or an Ultra Limited.

My Deluxe is a hangover from a recent divorce which just sits so it needs to go but letting go of my 2010 Street Glide brothers me because I love that bike!

I've started to do more touring and want to do much more, plus I have a new girl friend that loves to ride and no you can't see pictures.

My dilemma is: Do I buy a SG Special and make enough mods for mediocre touring comfort because I love the performance and handling of a SG, or do I go totally geezer and buy the limited and enjoy all the frills? And no, I can't afford both.

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2013, 09:01 PM
Sprinter7x
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm kind of like you.I've been riding a RK as when I bought it I just wasn't ready for the full glide look,but now I've had a change of heart after making some longer trips and I will pick up my new Ultra Classic this week.To me the 14's don't look near as geezer as before,I think the sportier wheels help the looks of them a lot,and in the right colors they look pretty dang sharp.Not just old geezers riding them anymore,and your woman will be in comfort.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:17 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

It should be easy for you to decide since you have been riding a SG for a few years. Do you wish you had the tour pack and all the other extras with the Ultra?

I do. It took me a few years to figure out I really would've been happier with an Ultra from the start. I am going to add a tour pack this winter and call it good for now.

I have too much money in my motor and like the bike too much to trade or sell it, but I do want a tour pack.

If I had it to do over, I would've bought an Ultra and put a detachable kit on the tour pack.

Dennis

Old 10-06-2013, 09:34 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sprinter7x
I'm kind of like you.I've been riding a RK as when I bought it I just wasn't ready for the full glide look,but now I've had a change of heart after making some longer trips and I will pick up my new Ultra Classic this week.To me the 14's don't look near as geezer as before,I think the sportier wheels help the looks of them a lot,and in the right colors they look pretty dang sharp.Not just old geezers riding them anymore,and your woman will be in comfort.
Thanks for your response and congrats on your new classic. I agree that the new bikes are very sharp! I just need to accept that I'm long in the tooth and it's ok to ride a geezer glide.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rochkes
It should be easy for you to decide since you have been riding a SG for a few years. Do you wish you had the tour pack and all the other extras with the Ultra?

I do. It took me a few years to figure out I really would've been happier with an Ultra from the start. I am going to add a tour pack this winter and call it good for now.

I have too much money in my motor and like the bike too much to trade or sell it, but I do want a tour pack.

If I had it to do over, I would've bought an Ultra and put a detachable kit on the tour pack.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis; That's what my salesman promotes to deal with my crisis. With the Limited there is not tail light on the fender. So I'm not sure how I would do detachable.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Snobal
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I've had eight new HD bikes since I started riding in 1966.

My favorite was a '91 FXRS-Con. which I rode for ten years. It was the "Street Glide" of the day.

Traded the FXR for a Standard in 2000. Basically the same design: Good windshield, big bags, luggage rack, etc. Great for fun runs over to the East Coast or up to Canada. I could carry everything I needed to camp in Sturgis for a week, or spend a month on the road. Either bike met my needs.

Finally got a "tour pac" when I traded for a 2006 FLHTCU. Nice bike. Had everything. The tour pac was great for short runs and a place to bring home groceries. (I've had years when I didn't own a 4-wheel vehicle). However, it limited my cross-country camping gear. I could pack more stuff on the 2000 Standard. Had to re-think my camping list and get much smaller gear.

Traded 2006 Ultra for 2009 Ultra. Same storage problem as 2006 Ultra but the 2009 ran much better. Put about 30K miles on the 2009 in the first 18 months I owned it.

Sold the 2009 Ultra and got a 2013 SG. WOW! This bike reminds me of my FXR! Feels light, steers quick, stops great, gets decent mileage, and with the luggage rack, I can now get "back on the road."

My suggestion --- Get the Ultra and stay in motels. Your girl friend will like it much better. But for someone that rides single, the SG (with a real windshield and standard shocks) is all that's needed.

JMHO - YRMV

Old 10-06-2013, 10:15 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Just got back from a 5,500 mile ride on my 12 Street Glide. G/F also wants full Geezer, but I did not like having the full sized tour pack on all the time.

Comprimise was getting a removable tour pack (went cheap and got a $125 Mutazu plus 4 point mount. )Comes painted in flat black free) Gave her lots more storage and a comfy padded backrest. We put a $100 t-Bag on the top rack, and took that into the room each night.

This will only cost you a few hundred bucks, and after a couple trips with the new girl you will know if you want the full bagger.

The rest of the time you can either leave it on or take it off at your pleasure, and you will quickly learn if you want one with it on all the time.

Very little risk, and you will know for sure.

For me, I loved taking along all the stuff, and the G/F was very happy, but I could not stand having it on every day. Totally changes all that I love about my Street Glide. I did not like that top heavy feeling riding double with tour pack full. Looked forward to taking all that stuff off, and riding free.

If you do end up buying a new 14 SGS, your tour pack should still clip right on, but you will need to buy new 4 points. (small money compared to buying the wrong bike)

Last edited by Uncle Paul; 10-06-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:17 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Snobal
and got a 2013 SG. WOW! This bike reminds me of my FXR! Feels light, steers quick, stops great, gets decent mileage, and with the luggage rack, I can now get "back on the road."

My suggestion --- Get the Ultra and stay in motels. Your girl friend will like it much better. But for someone that rides single, the SG (with a real windshield and standard shocks) is all that's needed.

JMHO - YRMV
And there in lies my dilemma. Girlfriends come and go and if I choose the Ultra Limited as a solo rider, how badly will I miss my SG?

Old 10-06-2013, 10:43 PM
bingram1
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BeeRAD56
I'm appealing to the board for some advice. Feel free to flame on because it's part of the fun.

I'm very intirigued with all the improvements in the 2014's and thinking about trading my 2010 Deluxe and my 2010 Street Glide for either a 2014 Street Glide Special or an Ultra Limited.

My Deluxe is a hangover from a recent divorce which just sits so it needs to go but letting go of my 2010 Street Glide brothers me because I love that bike!

I've started to do more touring and want to do much more, plus I have a new girl friend that loves to ride and no you can't see pictures.

My dilemma is: Do I buy a SG Special and make enough mods for mediocre touring comfort because I love the performance and handling of a SG, or do I go totally geezer and buy the limited and enjoy all the frills? And no, I can't afford both.

Thanks!

OMG whatever you do dont buy a new '14 Limited. You are way too young for that. I dont think anybody under the age of 60 should own a Limited. I also heard that all the geezers with Limiteds are on some type of ED medication. Plus all the new limiteds leak, and they all have radio problems. The Street Glide Special is the way to go. Plus in your next divorce the ex-wife will only get half of what your the SGS is worth, which is less than what half of a Limited is worth.

Last edited by bingram1; 10-06-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 10-06-2013, 10:44 PM
BCC1
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I ride my Geezerglide solo 80% of the time. With the improved handling and brakes on the '14 it feels almost sporty when I push it.

I checked out the SGS. Nice ride, too.

Face it. Most harley riders are geezers.

Get the bike you like best!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Street Glide Special or a EG Ultra Limited?