Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Street Glide Pillion Question

Old 10-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Jim_bo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Street Glide Pillion Question

OK... here's the dilemma. I have a Fatboy Lo and a Honda Goldwing. The Fatboy is my short ride bike, obviously my Goldwing is the long legged bike. I want to consolidate down to just one bike. It has to be nimble and easy enough to ride at parking lot speeds to replace the Fatboy... but it has to be comfortable enough for me and the wife to replace the Goldwing.

I rode the SGS yesterday. Love it. Surprisingly smooth. Easy to ride tight figure 8s in the parking lot. I'm sold.

Now, I have to convince the wife that this will be a reasonable substitute for the Goldwing. So, I'd love to hear any comments from 2014 SG owners with an SO who rides with you. What do they say about comfort? Wind buffetting? Ergonomics? I'm planning on doing a removeable tour pak. Anyone done that? Comfort comments?

I'm sold on the bike. But the wife loves the GW. I need to convince her that its time to let the big wing go....

Oh.... one more thing. Has anyone experimented with windshields yet? I am 6' with a long torso. I sit miles above the top of the windshield... so far that the vent had no noticable effect. I definitely need a taller windshield... just don't know which one to look at.

Last edited by Jim_bo; 10-13-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:14 AM
mwegryn
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy the removable tour pack like you said for when she rides along and upgrade the seat. Dealers will be getting the demo seats in soon and some may have already. Or the other option maybe is to consider the Ultra and get the quick release hardware for the trunk. The Ultra will have the big cushy seat she is looking for, the lowers, the tour pack, and intercom (if that's something you used on the Gold Wing). The way my dealer explained it to me, and it makes perfect sense, is that it is cheaper in the end to turn an Ultra into a SG, but not the other way around.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:44 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

As far as winshields go you may want between an 8 or 10 inch recurved aftermarket.
Then the Ultra Classic could be better in the long run if you & your Wife do a lot of 2up
riding most of the time.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Jim_bo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mwegryn
Buy the removable tour pack like you said for when she rides along and upgrade the seat. Dealers will be getting the demo seats in soon and some may have already. Or the other option maybe is to consider the Ultra and get the quick release hardware for the trunk. The Ultra will have the big cushy seat she is looking for, the lowers, the tour pack, and intercom (if that's something you used on the Gold Wing). The way my dealer explained it to me, and it makes perfect sense, is that it is cheaper in the end to turn an Ultra into a SG, but not the other way around.

Striping down an Ultra seems to make sense... but I seem to have an affection for a street glide.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:15 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Why?

They are the same bike, with different attachments.

The SO will NOT like the stock seat, so there's $400 alone to get either a sundowner or hammock, Tourpak is going to run I would guess in the $1200 range with hardware, Short windshield is not friendly to passenger comfort...

But these are my thoughts, and to each his own.

Ride on, ride safe!!

Old 10-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Jim_bo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
Why?

They are the same bike, with different attachments.

The SO will NOT like the stock seat, so there's $400 alone to get either a sundowner or hammock, Tourpak is going to run I would guess in the $1200 range with hardware, Short windshield is not friendly to passenger comfort...

But these are my thoughts, and to each his own.

Ride on, ride safe!!
I don't think they are the same at all. Different body forms and you can't get an ultra in denim black.

Old 10-13-2013, 01:55 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Jim_bo
OK... here's the dilemma. I have a Fatboy Lo and a Honda Goldwing. The Fatboy is my short ride bike, obviously my Goldwing is the long legged bike. I want to consolidate down to just one bike. It has to be nimble and easy enough to ride at parking lot speeds to replace the Fatboy... but it has to be comfortable enough for me and the wife to replace the Goldwing.

I rode the SGS yesterday. Love it. Surprisingly smooth. Easy to ride tight figure 8s in the parking lot. I'm sold.

Now, I have to convince the wife that this will be a reasonable substitute for the Goldwing. So, I'd love to hear any comments from 2014 SG owners with an SO who rides with you. What do they say about comfort? Wind buffetting? Ergonomics? I'm planning on doing a removeable tour pak. Anyone done that? Comfort comments?

I'm sold on the bike. But the wife loves the GW. I need to convince her that its time to let the big wing go....

Oh.... one more thing. Has anyone experimented with windshields yet? I am 6' with a long torso. I sit miles above the top of the windshield... so far that the vent had no noticable effect. I definitely need a taller windshield... just don't know which one to look at.
Every stock SG seat ever made SUCKS. Once you find a good seat, and there are a ton of options(mustang, danny grey, corbin, etc) you will be just fine.

Old 10-13-2013, 03:14 PM
WildX
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

2014 Ultra Tour Pak has rear turn signals built in so you can't remove without adding addtional turn signals. Best route would be SGS with removable tour pak, and touring seat. I had my 2009 SG set up that way with a 10" windshield and Aux driving lights. Best ride ever. 2014 one ups everything about 2009.

Last edited by WildX; 10-13-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 06:49 PM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Can't take the tour pak off the Ultra until they come up with a solution for the lights they integrated into the pak. Big reason I wouldn't even consider it this year.

Old 10-13-2013, 07:07 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_bo
I don't think they are the same at all. Different body forms and you can't get an ultra in denim black.
If you call color "body form", then you are correct.... and you can get an ultra painted denim black. Only dollars stand between you and your dreams.

Other than that, they are the same exact chasis. One with 1" lower shocks. One with a tourpak standard, different height windshields, different rims...

The accoutrements may differ, but the base vehicle is the same.

My bet is there will be a light kit out mid year for the Ultra that will facilitate the removal of the tourpak.

Only matters what you think is important, then go buy what fits you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 Street Glide Pillion Question