Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extend TBW harness or buy SE TBW

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 04:28 PM
Herksuper
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Extend TBW harness or buy SE TBW

I'm a month or so away from installing my apes and I'm torn between buying the SE TBW and hard wiring or just cutting the connector and extending the stock harness then hard wiring it in, going 14" rise. Thoughts? Just go my bars in...again. See pic

Attached Thumbnails Extend TBW harness or buy SE TBW-bars.jpg  
Old 10-10-2013, 04:51 PM
gotwages
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You cannot extend the stock harness!!!! Again, do not cut those wires!!! Your throttle works on varying resistance to control how much fuel you engine gets. If you cut and extend those wires, it will change the amount if resistance your bike reads, thereby changing the amount of fuel it is actually getting. Buy the longer throttle cable, it is only about $120 and save yourself from trouble in the future.

Old 10-10-2013, 04:57 PM
chester1957
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done it with the se part and a plug in cable extender, and the se part makes running the wires thru the bars much easier. I've never cut and extended wires, so can't be much help with that, other than space the splices rather than cutting all wires to the same length, as I have cut and spliced hand control wires and never had a problem if done correctly. (Solder and heat shrink)

Old 10-10-2013, 05:28 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwages
You cannot extend the stock harness!!!! Again, do not cut those wires!!! Your throttle works on varying resistance to control how much fuel you engine gets. If you cut and extend those wires, it will change the amount if resistance your bike reads, thereby changing the amount of fuel it is actually getting. Buy the longer throttle cable, it is only about $120 and save yourself from trouble in the future.
BULL DOODIE!!!!!!!
I've heard people preach this crap till I'm blue in the face. NO you do not need to buy SE TBW. YES you CAN cut out the green plug and splice in the extra length that you need by soldering and heat shrinking the soldered joint. I've done mine this way and about 20 other bikes with absolutely ZERO PROBLEMS. As an added bonus, you will notice there is no more lag in throttle response. Much much better.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:53 PM
nh-rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a carb!!

Old 10-10-2013, 06:00 PM
Herksuper
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SBates08
BULL DOODIE!!!!!!!
I've heard people preach this crap till I'm blue in the face. NO you do not need to buy SE TBW. YES you CAN cut out the green plug and splice in the extra length that you need by soldering and heat shrinking the soldered joint. I've done mine this way and about 20 other bikes with absolutely ZERO PROBLEMS. As an added bonus, you will notice there is no more lag in throttle response. Much much better.
I already got rid of my lag via V&H throttle pack. Thanks for the info, just trying to save a little $$$ for other stuff.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:02 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

The OE TBW bundle is LONG. My bars are 12 and I had more than enough and put everything back where it was. You could get even more out of it if you move things around a bit. The bars would have to be pretty high to need to replace the stock one. And if you never plan on adding heated grips you can cut the plug off the bundle to make it easier to wire the bars.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:11 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Herksuper
I already got rid of my lag via V&H throttle pack. Thanks for the info, just trying to save a little $$$ for other stuff.
Understood but was trying to make a point that yes this can be done. Like previous poster said it is plenty long enough to do 14" bars. I have 14's and the only reason I extended mine was a bone headed move on my part(first bars I ever did) and pinched a few wires in different locations. Point is you do not need the SE TBW harness.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:30 PM
FinalShot
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gotwages

Wrong, it's by voltages.

If what you were saying was true, MoCO surely would have used the exact same types of metals for the connectors since we know that a change in material changes resistances. And, if it were done by resistance, as the temp changed, so does resistance and that would make it impractical.

Old 10-10-2013, 06:35 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by FinalShot

Wrong, it's by voltages.

If what you were saying was true, MoCO surely would have used the exact same types of metals for the connectors since we know that a change in material changes resistances. And, if it were done by resistance, as the temp changed, so does resistance and that would make it impractical.
Thank you. This myth has officially been debunked!!!!

Quick Reply: Extend TBW harness or buy SE TBW