Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with sciatica

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:28 PM
Am4wag
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Riding with sciatica

Aquired this early Nov. at work.Would like to hear some input on what you've done to overcome and/or deal with this condition (or any other lower back injury) as far as riding-as in seat replacemets,board adjustments,handlebars,etc..I hate the thought of "throwing in the towel"......

The following users liked this post:
RenegadeHD114 (03-27-2024)
Old 03-13-2014, 07:44 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Learn the stretches and exercises that help relieve the condition and do them religiously. It will help.
Research and learn the things that are causing this and do your best to avoid them.

Whatever you do, please do not take the prescriptions for pain and ride.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:47 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Am4wag
Aquired this early Nov. at work.Would like to hear some input on what you've done to overcome and/or deal with this condition (or any other lower back injury) as far as riding-as in seat replacemets,board adjustments,handlebars,etc..I hate the thought of "throwing in the towel"......
I've been dealing with degenerating disks for years as does my wife and the single most important item is a good backrest. The second, highway pegs on your engine guard.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:06 PM
leotisbrown
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea, what bigheadted said.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:07 PM
joesride
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had sciatica and lower back issues on and off for years, i am 55 years old. 2 years ago i went to Kmart and purchased an inversion table for 95 dollars and took it home and put it together immediately to try and see if it would help my lower back that was killing me.................. I am here to tell you that my relief was immediate after just hanging upside down for a minute or so. I actually heard a slight pop as i was hanging and immediately felt relief.....Its been almost 3 years now and i can honestly tell you the inversion table is the BEST 95 dollar investment i have ever made. I typically use it just 3 or 4 times a week for just a few minutes and it really works wonders for my back. There have been times my lower back has tightened up on me at work, and when i get home i just get on the inversion table for a minute or 2 and the tightness is gone.........I recommend it for anyone who has lower back issues, and you do not need to buy one of those real expensive TV infomercial ones in my view........Best 95 bucks i ever spent !...............PS,i ride from Florida to Jersey twice a year and have not had any lower back issues to speak of.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:07 PM
Am4wag
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

My L-4 and 5 are degenerated also.I have a Corbin dual tour w/backrest,but when I use the backrest my *** gets numb.W/o it,sciatic joint kills me.You think the fact that I bought this corbin from a guy who weighed (I'd say) over 300lb's.,so it was well broken in-maybe a little too much for me? I did change the seat back to stock,but my *** gets numb after a couple of hours (2 days ago).Also want to mention the bars on my '06 RK are called (IIRC) RK-2 bars or beach bars (?).They're low and wide.Been thinking about changing over to Heritage bars.Good move?

Old 03-13-2014, 08:08 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I have a shoulder injury and have had the unfortunate experience of mild sciatica as well.
TUCCI is right with the backrest and footpegs, having multiple options to move around while on the bike is good. Also handlebars that fit good, the kind where your hands just fall on the grips in a natural position and there is minimal strain to keep them there. For me the dang ugly Heritage bars worked the best.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:10 PM
hotline1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Things that have helped me Driver back rest, shoulder height apes, sometimes wrap around back brace and Aleve

Old 03-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Pix
Road Master
Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Backrest on the bike and yoga twice a week, yea I know real bikers don't do yoga.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:39 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What's your Doc say, did he recommend any Physical Therapy, exercises etc?

Quick Reply: Riding with sciatica