Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"You have to let us do your 1000 service or your warranty will be void"

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2013, 11:16 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
Default "You have to let us do your 1000 service or your warranty will be void"

2014 FLHTK

Has anyone else been told this?

You HAVE to spend the $375 for the stealer to do your service, or your warranty will be void?

I told the service guy to research the Magnusson-Moss Act and get back to me.

They CAN REQUIRE you to let them do the service, use specific lubricants, etc., PROVIDED they offer those goods and services at NO COST to you.

I also own a 2013 Cadillac SRX Premium. Couldn't tell you what kind of oil is in it. Dealer comes to the house, picks the car up, takes it in while leaving me a free loaner, does the service, then returns my Cadillac clean and detailed.
ALL FREE OF CHARGE.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:20 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
2014 FLHTK

You HAVE to spend the $375 for the stealer to do your service, or your warranty will be void?

They CAN REQUIRE you to let them do the service, use specific lubricants, etc., PROVIDED they offer those goods and services at NO COST to you.

I also own a 2013 Cadillac SRX Premium. Couldn't tell you what kind of oil is in it. Dealer comes to the house, picks the car up, takes it in while leaving me a free loaner, does the service, then returns my Cadillac clean and detailed.
ALL FREE OF CHARGE.
Well, isn't that special?

Old 10-13-2013, 11:23 AM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The hook is proving that the service was done according to what Harley said should be done...that's where they get you should there ever be a problem...no record in the dealers service system, no hard proof.

With that said, I'd check with one of the other dealers in the area and see if you get the same story, or make them show you the service bulliten stating their claim is valid!

Old 10-13-2013, 11:24 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

While doing my 1k service yesterday, I found the front engine mount bolts loose. I torqued to 40 ft-lbs as prescribed.

Do you think the techs do every bit of the service as prescribed by the manual?

I have a lift and all the tools, and in the past have done the service for a bunch of my buddies. Most guys got scared, had the "I don't want to void my warranty" mentality, and let the stealer do their 1k, and then come to me for their 5k forward.

The old 1k called for greasing the steering head, until grease seeped out both the top and bottom. EVERY 5k I did I had to put over 120 pumps of grease into. That tells me right there the service dept does not do everything prescribed.

Who else does all of their own service?

Dpo you keep a record? I have a hard copy, and an electronic copy.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

2014 FLHTK

Sounds fishy.

ALL FREE OF CHARGE.
Now THAT's service. Caddies are so nice to ride, and the nice doesn't wear off over time.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:26 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Guitardude
The hook is proving that the service was done according to what Harley said should be done...that's where they get you should there ever be a problem...no record in the dealers service system, no hard proof.
I keep a record, MY record is as good as THEIR record in court. I have a signed, dated hard copy, and enter it into a spreadsheet.

Backing that up with their service manual. I have exactly copied what they prescribe.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:30 AM
Guitardude
Club Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I keep a record, MY record is as good as THEIR record in court. I have a signed, dated hard copy, and enter it into a spreadsheet.

Backing that up with their service manual. I have exactly copied what they prescribe.
Ditto.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:46 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member

Section 102 (c) of the Act prohibits you from including a tie-in sales provision in your warranty.

Magnuson-Moss states:

(c) Prohibition on conditions for written or implied warranty; waiver by Commission
No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such
product on the consumer's using, in connection with such product, any article or service
(other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty)
which is identified by brand, trade, or corporate name; except that the prohibition of this
subsection may be waived by the Commission if -

(1) the warrantor satisfies the Commission that the warranted product will
function properly only if the article or service so identified is used in connection
with the warranted product, and

(2) the Commission finds that such a waiver is in the public interest. The
Commission shall identify in the Federal Register, and permit public comment on,
all applications for waiver of the prohibition of this subsection, and shall publish in
the Federal Register its disposition of any such application, including the reasons
therefor.

Last edited by SafetyMan; 10-13-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:55 AM
TracerBullet
Supporter
Received 5,193 Likes on 2,824 Posts

While I don't do everything with the dealer I do spend some money with them. I have found a little money and conversation with the service guys end up with a little special treatment should I need anything quick.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:55 AM
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EVERY 5k I did I had to put over 120 pumps of grease into.
That's a lot of grease??

Quick Reply: "You have to let us do your 1000 service or your warranty will be void"