Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding cruise control to police bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 03:07 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts
Default Adding cruise control to police bikes?

I know that it used to be that you couldn't add cruise control to police bikes. Has that changed in the last few years?

Old 10-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Bachus
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You CAN add cruise to Police bikes, they are missing 3 wires from the front end back to the ECM. Also need to take it to a dealership and have them enable cruise on the ECM.

Not that hard or expensive, was planning on adding it to both the 02FLHPI and the 09FLHTP, but have not done either of them yet. Got CruiseBuddy's on both and are doing fine with them.

Dan B.
Central Ks.

P.S. If you have any questions about Police bikes, check out Retired Police Bikes . com, thise guys know EVERYTHING and are very helpful.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:20 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Cruisemount is also a good resource.
http://www.cruisemount.com/

Old 10-20-2013, 09:33 PM
prosnowsk8er
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have cruise on my 2000 flhp

Old 10-20-2013, 09:49 PM
turckster
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I added cruise to my '03 flhtpi, had to install a new main wire harness. I went this route because I wanted to install the factory H/K stereo too. It seemed like less of a hassle to me to do this, makes everything plug and play.

Old 10-20-2013, 11:27 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep it can be done. When I took delivery of my 09 FLHP I had the dealer add factory cruise; to do so it requires the police controls to be replaced by the civilian version. Couldn't be happier with it.

The following users liked this post:
BWsnj2k (11-02-2021)
Old 10-21-2013, 03:49 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

I think it is well over a grand when all is said and done.

Old 10-21-2013, 04:09 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I have cruise on my Road King; I'd pay a grand to keep it. And I'm cheap.

Old 10-21-2013, 07:14 AM
GATORKING
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonW
I know that it used to be that you couldn't add cruise control to police bikes. Has that changed in the last few years?
Yes you can! I have a 2009 Road King Police model. I purchased the left and right cc setup for a standard RK model. The plugs are different however so if you are handy electrically it is possible to do the install yourself. I did not want to screw it up so I took it to the dealer. The cost was $300 labor plus the controls which are about $250.

Old 12-18-2013, 11:04 AM
dacula951
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

If you're handy with wiring and have the right crimper tool there is a poor mans way to add cruise to 08 and up police bikes using the existing police controls. I did this recently and I think it works awesome. I don't have the resume/accelerate feature but I can live without it. What's nice is cruise is controlled by my left hand (I believe newer Harleys have cruise buttons on the left so that you don't have to reach for them with your thumb while keeping a grip of the throttle position).

Here are the steps:

1. Buy 2 ECM terminals at the dealer (part number 72605-08, about 2 bucks each).

2. Disconnect battery and remove seat (you may also have to remove the fuel tank and plastic cover on wiring trough if you can't find the needed wires).

3. Disconnect ECM connector from ECM.

4. Take ECM connector apart to allow new wires to be added. Remove blue plastic plugs from unused holes at pins 22 and 35 (I used a small piece of solid steel wire to release them from the connector. Could also maybe use the end of a small paper clip. See service manual on how to release terminals from connector).

5. Find the pink/black and the tan/black wires that come from the left hand police controls. On police bikes these would have been originally wired to the connector for the siren amplifier. If this connector is still on your bike, cut these wires at the siren amplifier connector so that you will have enough length to make it to the ECM. If the siren amplifier connector has already been removed hopefully you can find these wires and they still have enough length.

6. Route the pink/black and the tan/black wires to the ECM, following existing wires that go the ECM.

7. Crimp the 2 terminals on to these wires (here is where you need that special crimper tool).

8. Push the pink/black terminal in to pin 35 of the ECM connector and push the tan/black terminal in to pin 22. I had some difficulty here getting the crimped terminal to fit, either because the siren wires are 18 AWG as opposed to 20 or because I should have taken the ECM connector apart more by lifting off the white plastic piece that the wires go through and crimp the terminals after pushing the wires through the white plastic piece. I ended up drilling the white plastic on the ECM connector out just a shade and only a very small depth to get the terminal to fit through the white plastic.

9. Put everything back together, then go to the dealer to get cruise enabled in the ECM.

You should now be able to test it. The cruise indicator in the speedometer will light orange when you turn the siren switch to on. Then, if at 30 mph or higher you press the siren button (the bottom right most switch on the left hand control) the cruise indicator will change from orange to green and you'll be in cruise heaven!

The following 5 users liked this post by dacula951:
BWsnj2k (11-02-2021), Chuggy (08-03-2017), Dr. Tiki (10-08-2020), HedleyLamarr (08-31-2018), riotron (07-16-2018)

Quick Reply: Adding cruise control to police bikes?