Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra Glide Police bikes,what have some of you put in for stereo's

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2005, 09:49 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electra Glide Police bikes,what have some of you put in for stereo's

I have a 2004 electra glide police,I'm told these bikes dont come wired from the factory for installing radio's. has any one put a stereo in their police bike?
if so, what have you installed for a stereo?,and what brand of speakers? how have you wired it up for power?

thanks for any thoughts on this ,

mike

Old 08-27-2005, 02:56 PM
V2 Bagger
Tourer
Default RE: Electra Glide Police bikes,what have some of you put in for stereo's

If your bike has thumb controls for a radio, and holes in the fairing for speakers, then its most likely wired for a stereo. Pull the batwing and look for the connectors. Standing in front of the bike look around the radio opening. On the upper left there should be a plug 1 1/4" x 2" with a orange rubber gasket around it and another one a little smaller to the right of the opening. If you have those plugs, I dont see why you wouldn't your half way home.

You will most likley need an antenna, no big deal. There are alot of options.

Remember to cover up the spot lights with clean rags before removing the outer fairing. Let us know what you find.

Old 08-27-2005, 04:20 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Default RE: Electra Glide Police bikes,what have some of you put in for stereo's

My bike has no thumb controls on the handlebars(has pursuit,and siren buttons instead),the police bikes dont come with those,or any wiring harness to install a radio,I have speaker openings in the fairing,and opening in the fairing to install stereo,but no wiring,or handle bar controls

mike

Old 08-27-2005, 06:12 PM
sporty12
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll back you on this, flhtpi04. I have even tried to get the wiring done on my '03, but no one will touch it. So far I'm torturing anybody within earshot by singing to myself. [:'(]

Old 08-27-2005, 06:51 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

hold your head up high sporty,someone will chime in with the info we need(fingers crossed,lol)

mike

Old 08-28-2005, 03:07 AM
V2 Bagger
Tourer

Dang, I would have put money on it that my Dad's 93 cop bike had thumb controls for the radio, and the pursuit switches were under them. It diddn't even have a fairing, more like a Road King. Things change over the years I guess.

Old 08-28-2005, 03:35 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i put a car radio in mine works good!

Old 08-28-2005, 02:27 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 6 Posts

Mike,

Did you have to do anything to the thumbswitches, etc? I think that is his question, though I may be wrong.

Mac

Old 08-29-2005, 02:23 AM
bonez
Advanced

The wiring harness will have to be swapped out for hand controls and a stock hd radio .OR you can install a aftermarket radio ive seen it done on my bros o4 police bike it has a kenwood.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1398/87500E574F7D4966AE46F3DEA2169394.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1398/DADECE2D6C8F4D308E00B04277443EFC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-29-2005, 07:52 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

changing out the handle bar controls and wiring harness,isnt going to be cheap,I really could care less if i have thumb controls.and the HD radio is too expensive to even think about
I'm guessing a marine radio thats somewhat water resistant is prefered over a standard car stereo? is there anyone who makes a adapter plate to fit into the fairing hole ,right now the hole for the radio seems to have a very slight lip around the opening, or is there a after market flip cover made to weather proof the stereo.

thanks for the input

mike

Quick Reply: Electra Glide Police bikes,what have some of you put in for stereo's