Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Boom Audio! 6.5" Touch Screen Radio Issue

Old 10-28-2013, 11:45 PM
Ride4Him
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 2014 Boom Audio! 6.5" Touch Screen Radio Issue

I was wondering if any other 2014 Ultra Classic Electra Glide owners, or anyone whom has the 6.5" Touch Screen with Navigation etc... had any issues with the radio making a popping sound or crackling sound while listening to the radio.

This will occur on any station and on FM or AM band. It does not happen all the time or constantly, but it does occur quit frequently while listening to any station.

When listening to iPod, MP3, or using USB I have not heard that same noise coming from the speakers.

It almost sounds like someone throwing small pebbles against a glass window.

I just wanted to see if I was the only one who experienced this on the new 2014 Ultra or other models.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:19 AM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

There have been several threads on this issue. Try a search, I don't have a 2014 but have several threads on it.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:22 AM
'14UltraMan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ride4Him
I was wondering if any other 2014 Ultra Classic Electra Glide owners, or anyone whom has the 6.5" Touch Screen with Navigation etc... had any issues with the radio making a popping sound or crackling sound while listening to the radio.

This will occur on any station and on FM or AM band. It does not happen all the time or constantly, but it does occur quit frequently while listening to any station.

When listening to iPod, MP3, or using USB I have not heard that same noise coming from the speakers.

It almost sounds like someone throwing small pebbles against a glass window.

I just wanted to see if I was the only one who experienced this on the new 2014 Ultra or other models.
I have not experienced this issue, but I primarily listen to my iPod or iPhone thru the bluetooth feature. I have read threads on here however that have made mention of eliminating the noise by going into setup and deactivating the intercom feature that apparently comes from the factory enabled. Might start there as a fix.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:25 AM
kh24
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It does it a lot of the time on FM AM and weather band. The intercom fix was no help as mine was never enabled from the start. It is very annoying. I am assuming it must be some sort of RFI because it only happens when pulling in radio signals. If it was EMI, we would probably be hearing it all the time.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:56 AM
Ride4Him
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kh24
It does it a lot of the time on FM AM and weather band. The intercom fix was no help as mine was never enabled from the start. It is very annoying. I am assuming it must be some sort of RFI because it only happens when pulling in radio signals. If it was EMI, we would probably be hearing it all the time.

I appreciate hearing that others have had similiar experiences, but just wonder when or if Harley Davidson Corporation will have something done to fix this issue anytime soon?

Old 10-29-2013, 03:57 AM
JDKJAG
6th Gear

I have not had this issue, but would suggest checking your firmware version. The latest is 1.17.1.1 If you haven't updated the software, that might help.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:37 AM
Steven Brocklehurst
Stage I

Hi
Re the issue with popping radios as discussed, there is a s/ware update from HD at
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...bmLocale=en_US

which takes it to firmware 1.17.4 latest as of 15/1/14, this is supposed to address this issue.
Hope this helps.

Now for some help with my issue, same radio 6.5GT , screen illumination not being able to be increased in manual and goes too dark in auto to see when using navigation system during the day, happening intermittently but becoming far more frequent. It is as if the auto brightness function thinks it is night-time (dark) all the time. not sure where the ambient light sensor is to ensure it is clean. 2014 FLHTK Electra Glide Ultra Limited.

Thanks for your help if any one has any.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:09 AM
hanny
Road Captain

the update fixed the popping on mine (altho I haven't put a lot of miles on it since I did it)
The gps screen changes color at sundown which I don't like but I think you can change that in your setting.
If you look around in the settings for different things you might find what youre after....... of course if youre like me a spent an hour messing with mine,,,,LOL

Old 04-28-2014, 07:27 PM
jayb63
Stage IV

New to this forum, but found it by googling about the crackling in the radio. I just bought a 2014 Street Glide Special, and I am experiencing the same problem. Only in the radio band mode(AM/FM). When I use the Bluetooth feature and like media from my phone, no problems in sound. I actually thought I had a blown speaker. Unfortunate for all, but glad I'm not alone on this. Will get it back to the dealer ASAP. Thanks everyone

Old 04-28-2014, 08:40 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jayb63
New to this forum, but found it by googling about the crackling in the radio. I just bought a 2014 Street Glide Special, and I am experiencing the same problem. Only in the radio band mode(AM/FM). When I use the Bluetooth feature and like media from my phone, no problems in sound. I actually thought I had a blown speaker. Unfortunate for all, but glad I'm not alone on this. Will get it back to the dealer ASAP. Thanks everyone
Welcome to the Forum!!
You need to have the updated software installed for the radio.
You can either take it back to the dealer or do it yourself. Instructions are on HD web page. Pretty simple.
There are hundreds of posts on this on the forum already. The update fix's quite a few bugs in the infotainment system.