Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil consumption test

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 03:17 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Oil consumption test

**UPDATE**

After dealing with this issue longer then I care to talk about the MoCo finally authorized the dealer to take action. They are going to boar the cylinders .005, replace pistons and rings, and all seals on the top end will be replaced replaced.

I don't know all the details yet but I'll post up the specs of exactly what was done once I get the bike back if anyone is interested.

On a side note the last time I took it in for them to check the oil, the bike was ridden 1000 miles and had lost 38 oz. The bike had 6600 when I took it in the first time and has 10550 on it now and has had about 8 qts of oil added over that time.

**UPDATE**

** UPDATE 2**
I've had the bike back about two weeks now. No more rattle on cold start up, no more oil loss, and no more nasty black crud on the back of the bags.

This is what was done: 21963-07 Piston and Rig kit .005 OS, Gasket Kit/Top End 17052-99C, OE Cylinders Bored .005 OS.

Bike runs nice and smooth now. It was a long process, and hopefully this is the end of it.
** UPDATE 2**

Took the Street Glide by the dealer this morning for the first check for the oil consumption test. A little less then 500 miles and it was 1/2 quart low. It's was about what I though it would be. Been burring oil since day one but it's starting to get worse. The dealer is going to call HD on Monday to see what the next step is. Dealer has been cool about it, hope HD don't blow me off.

Last edited by craigffb; 06-21-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:20 PM
09B29
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how many total miles?

Old 11-02-2013, 03:27 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 09B29
how many total miles?
7079. It's had two quarts of oil added since the last oil change at 5000.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:46 PM
last12know
Road Master

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

what kinda of break in?

me. i break things in just the way i intend to use them from the start. always seem to work well.

when i tried to go easier then whatever it was would be a pooch.

noticed the same thing when a couple of my brothers got the same machine and broke them in.. the harder used one run hard.

it's not necessarily how you use them.. it's how you keep them (maintenance wise).

Old 11-02-2013, 04:12 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by last12know
what kinda of break in?

me. i break things in just the way i intend to use them from the start. always seem to work well.

when i tried to go easier then whatever it was would be a pooch.

noticed the same thing when a couple of my brothers got the same machine and broke them in.. the harder used one run hard.

it's not necessarily how you use them.. it's how you keep them (maintenance wise).
Break in was pretty normal. I didn't use the curse for the recommended miles. I don't punish my stuff, but I do ride 'em hard.

The Glide sees a lot of highway time....fast highway time.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:48 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know what HD's spec is for oil consumption but that sounds unacceptable to me (and you, too, obviously).

I hope they take care of that for you.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:25 PM
bubba455
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had the same problem with my 2010 Ultra. Used a quart of oil every 600 - 900 miles depending on how much high speed freeway riding I was doing. Harley has sent the dealers a memo that says around 1000 mikes is expected and normal. The mechanic at my dealer has the memo stuck to the wall near his work bench....must have to refer to it often for other customers to read. The dealer put tape on my oil fill cap twice with orders for me to bring back after 1000 miles. Of course I did not have any freeway trips during these periods so I could not demonstrate the consumption. It did not burn much when riding around town. Kind of pissed me off to still have a warranty but could not get anything done. I have been told it is common for 103 engines to fry the rear valve seal when run hard and fast. Seems reasonable since I had no issues until I returned from Sturgis after four days of 90 mph riding there and back.

The dealer now has the bike on his used bike lot for $16k. Someone down the road is really going to be really disappointed when they buy this bike.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:39 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by bubba455
Had the same problem with my 2010 Ultra. Used a quart of oil every 600 - 900 miles depending on how much high speed freeway riding I was doing. Harley has sent the dealers a memo that says around 1000 mikes is expected and normal. The mechanic at my dealer has the memo stuck to the wall near his work bench....must have to refer to it often for other customers to read. The dealer put tape on my oil fill cap twice with orders for me to bring back after 1000 miles. Of course I did not have any freeway trips during these periods so I could not demonstrate the consumption. It did not burn much when riding around town. Kind of pissed me off to still have a warranty but could not get anything done. I have been told it is common for 103 engines to fry the rear valve seal when run hard and fast. Seems reasonable since I had no issues until I returned from Sturgis after four days of 90 mph riding there and back.

The dealer now has the bike on his used bike lot for $16k. Someone down the road is really going to be really disappointed when they buy this bike.
The dude in the service department said 1000 was what HD preaches. Total BS I think. They are looking into so I can't really blame the dealer. I ride my Dyna the same way as I ride the Glide and never have to add a drop.

Hopefully it works out for me. If not this bike will be gone. I'm not gonna be putting oil in this thing every time I turn around.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:52 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by craigffb
The dude in the service department said 1000 was what HD preaches. Total BS I think. They are looking into so I can't really blame the dealer. I ride my Dyna the same way as I ride the Glide and never have to add a drop.

Hopefully it works out for me. If not this bike will be gone. I'm not gonna be putting oil in this thing every time I turn around.

1000 miles per quart really isn't that bad. I was told to run the oil level at the add mark which is approximately 1 Qt low. Supposed to reduce blowby into the intake. Anybody else heard this?

Old 11-02-2013, 06:04 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by springer 03
1000 miles per quart really isn't that bad. I was told to run the oil level at the add mark which is approximately 1 Qt low. Supposed to reduce blowby into the intake. Anybody else heard this?
Maybe for you it's not bad, to me...unexceptable. As far as I'm concerned they put the full and add makes on the dip stick for a reason. The add mark on my Street Glide is 1 1/2 quarts low.

The bike has no blow by, no leaks, and no oil residue on the mufflers. I've never seen any smoke and no one I've ever rode with said dude you junk is smoking.

If it was normal there would be a ton more people on here talking about it. Dudes bitch about stuff on here all the time and oil consumption issues don't come up that often.

Quick Reply: Oil consumption test