Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New type of leak on 14 Limited

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:45 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New type of leak on 14 Limited

I've read through the many posts on here about the puking issues from owners of 14 Limited's when they park and kill the bike. Also it seems most of those were when the outside temperature was pretty hot or right after a lot of stop and go driving.
Well,.... I made it approx. 1,300 miles with no problems or so I thought. I did have my dealer top off my coolant level because it was kinda low but I just figured that maybe it was left that way from the factory, since I hadn't seen it puke after a ride and have never saw any leaks under the bike
My coolant leak issue appears to be unique, "lucky me" (said sarcastically),...I did a lil ride over to visit a buddy and the ride was approx. 50 miles of highway riding with no stop and go traffic. The outside air temp was approx. 52 degrees. I got to my buddies and another buddy arrived a few hours later and he wanted me to show him the bike and he was asking about the cooling system and I popped off the right side lower cover to show him the coolant reservoir and to my shock it was completely "bone dry". So it appears that in my "coolant leak" that mine leaked while going down the road. I laid down and looked for any signs from when it leaked from and I couldn't tell where the source was. But I could see where it looks like it blew back and under the bike under my saddlebags,... wasn't still wet,... just that slick greasy feeling. My dealer sent someone over and picked it up yesterday and said they would get it taken care of.
Has anyone else on here had their coolant leak out while going down the road?

Old 11-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of it happening to a trike. Also, yesterday I read on here of a guy it happened to. You can check through the threads and probably find it. Let us know what the dealer says and does.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:02 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior

Yeah i'm gonna give them a call later today and see if they have anything figured out. They will have my bike the remainder of the week anyway since they had ordered a new stereo to replace mine and it is supposed to arrive Thursday. So,.... if im lucky I might get it back Friday or Saturday,....Im still optimistic that they will get all the issues resolved. I'm disappointed, but I still feel I own the best touring bike made. Its just up to Harley to get these issues resolved ASAP.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:21 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

I have my 2014 on order. I want to see how this is resolved.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:34 AM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain

Why replacing the radio?

Old 11-12-2013, 09:01 PM
jmbear328
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Boltsfaninmo
Why replacing the radio?
The radio was "locking up" and the only way to remedy it was to stop and shut off the bike and restart it. The auto text reply feature wasn't working and the Auto Volume Control wasn't working either, and the FM radio was cracking and popping at times.

Update: I called the dealership today and checked on the status of them solving the "leak". The service manager stated they were unable to figure out where the coolant was leaking from and where it was going to.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:55 PM
user 8373900
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

>>Update: I called the dealership today and checked on the status of them solving the "leak". The service manager stated they were unable to figure out where the coolant was leaking from and where it was going to.<<

Have any of these dealers thought about strapping one to the Dyno and actually witness a leak?

Mark

Old 11-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Boltsfaninmo
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
>>Update: I called the dealership today and checked on the status of them solving the "leak". The service manager stated they were unable to figure out where the coolant was leaking from and where it was going to.<<

Have any of these dealers thought about strapping one to the Dyno and actually witness a leak?

Mark
My dealer watched mine puke all over their service bay floor. Didn't need a dyno for that.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior

I'm also firmly convinced that dealers don't have a clue as to what the problem is with these bikes because H-D has not told them ANYTHING. The service tech told me that they will keep testing the bike, but he said that Harley don't even have a bulletin out about coolant leaks except for the pressure caps, but that is supposed to be just for the European models according to the service tech. So,.... I'm not sure what to think,....

Old 11-14-2013, 08:37 AM
jmbear328
Road Warrior

My dealer, called me and stated that they believe that they have fixed my "leak". They told me that they checked the coolant level under the radiator cap and that the level was fine. So,.... they say that the HD factory must have left the coolant level really low and that the factory left air in the system and that it sucked all the fluid from the reservoir and into the radiator. Its seems like an odd explanation, but hopefully its correct.
They told me that my new stereo should arrive today and that they will have it installed and tested and should be ready for me by late tomorrow or early Saturday. I'm gonna be optimistic,.....

Quick Reply: New type of leak on 14 Limited