Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering a 2014 SGS

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 09:30 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SafetyMan
I concur that hitting the wiring under the fender is bad. 1" drop shouldn't allow this to happen.

Aside from that, have YOU ever SEEN any of the aforementioned occurrences? Or simply read about them on the internet somewhere?
No I haven't "seen" them because I won't run that junk on my bike so I won't have to take that risk. But its your bike and your life, so you have the choice of what you want to do. Myself, I would not recommend them to anyone. Unless its for a purely show bike you want to drop down low.

Old 11-09-2013, 08:15 AM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I concur that hitting the wiring under the fender is bad. 1" drop shouldn't allow this to happen.

Aside from that, have YOU ever SEEN any of the aforementioned occurrences? Or simply read about them on the internet somewhere?
I'd be willing to bet it's the later. Too many folks here just regurgitate what they read as fact...Good to know on the coil overs. I have a buddy that just got a special and needs to lower it...

Old 11-09-2013, 08:26 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am amazed at the amount of peeps that buy a bike, the wrong one for them, and then heavily modify just to be able to touch tip toe at a stop light. I see these peeps out on the road every weekend. If memory serves me correctly, after 35 years, that was one of the first things I was taught in drivers ed, get a bike that allows both feet to be firmly planted on the ground at a stop. I am not in that position, and don't know what I would do if I had a 26" inseam, not sure that I wouldn't be doing the same, but it still amazes me none the less.
I know I have had dirt bikes that didn't allow the luxury of both feet on the ground, and I sure as hell wouldn't have ridden one on the street. It was challenging enough at the track or out in the boonies to make me very uncomfortable.

Some of these peeps may had been wiser to stick with the softail heritage and put fairings and hard bags on them.

Last edited by VTL nut; 11-09-2013 at 08:29 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:55 AM
12Iron883
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QUIKC5
I am currently using this kit. The only issues I have had is the shock will rub your bags from being spaced out! I placed some felt on my bag in the area it was contacting. I ride 2 up most of the time with now rubbing or bottoming out.

I just received an email back from LA Choppers confirming again that their lowering blocks will not work with the SGS because of the premium hand adjustable rear shocks. They will however work on the base 14 SG.

Safetyman - you hit the nail right on the head. If I switch out the hand adjustable shocks with the air shocks I can then add the lowering blocks.

Now I just have to decide if removing the Premium shocks makes sense. FML!

Old 11-09-2013, 09:05 AM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VTL nut
I am amazed at the amount of peeps that buy a bike, the wrong one for them, and then heavily modify just to be able to touch tip toe at a stop light. I see these peeps out on the road every weekend. If memory serves me correctly, after 35 years, that was one of the first things I was taught in drivers ed, get a bike that allows both feet to be firmly planted on the ground at a stop. I am not in that position, and don't know what I would do if I had a 26" inseam, not sure that I wouldn't be doing the same, but it still amazes me none the less.
I know I have had dirt bikes that didn't allow the luxury of both feet on the ground, and I sure as hell wouldn't have ridden one on the street. It was challenging enough at the track or out in the boonies to make me very uncomfortable.

Some of these peeps may had been wiser to stick with the softail heritage and put fairings and hard bags on them.
One has to wonder why you did all the changes to your bike,not that I really care,but just curious

Old 11-09-2013, 09:25 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,948 Likes on 21,311 Posts

Originally Posted by VTL nut

+1, or maybe a trike?

However, one can do what one wants to ones property as what fatdaddy says.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:32 AM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts

2012 FLHTC with RCXhaust, No CAT, Stage 1 air filter, PV with dialed in tune, Lots of bolt on flames, bullet led lighting, Custom Dynamics lighting control, MoCo security system added, Agitator Contrast chrome wheels, lots of MoCo trinkets, and still spending.
Why would a fella do all that to a perfectly good motorcycle?
It is illegal to remove the catalytic converter, I guarantee the MOCO doesn't put it in there out of the kindness of their heart.
RCXhaust reads "For offroad use only", as does the Stage 1 intake.

What I've changed on my wife's bike isn't illegal, it's just to make her more comfortable. The illegal stuff comes later. She is 5'2", and has more miles under her belt than most men I know. She has riden an old loudass 883 on a 700 mile day starting at 43° and ending at 29°. She rode a Deluxe to death.

When she decided that with a few mods, she could be on a touring chasis, I fully supported her.

She has been on the back with me since 1985. 10 years ago she decided she wanted to ride her own. She is a grown woman, and can make her own decisions.

Don't criticize my wife, unless you know her.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:24 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fat daddy
One has to wonder why you did all the changes to your bike,not that I really care,but just curious
See Below........

Last edited by VTL nut; 11-09-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-09-2013, 11:25 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior

Why would a fella do all that to a perfectly good motorcycle?
It is illegal to remove the catalytic converter, I guarantee the MOCO doesn't put it in there out of the kindness of their heart.
RCXhaust reads "For offroad use only", as does the Stage 1 intake.

What I've changed on my wife's bike isn't illegal, it's just to make her more comfortable. The illegal stuff comes later. She is 5'2", and has more miles under her belt than most men I know. She has riden an old loudass 883 on a 700 mile day starting at 43° and ending at 29°. She rode a Deluxe to death.

When she decided that with a few mods, she could be on a touring chasis, I fully supported her.

She has been on the back with me since 1985. 10 years ago she decided she wanted to ride her own. She is a grown woman, and can make her own decisions.

Don't criticize my wife, unless you know her.
To make it mine, like no other. Certainly not so I could begin to safely take it out of the garage. You may be taking this far to personally.

Last edited by VTL nut; 11-09-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:56 PM
fat daddy
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's great that your wife wants to ride her own bike. If you want to help her out with the ride height try lowering the front 1-1.5 in you won't believe the difference that will make .if she needs a little more than get some lowering shocks for the rear. I'm not sure about the seat you have but mean city cycles can modify your stock seat and it will help quite a bit. Now if all else fails than just put that petite wife of yours to the curb and get an amazon woman.just kidding,I'm sure you will figure it out. Good Luck

Quick Reply: Lowering a 2014 SGS