Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

changing exhaust qu8estion

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 09:02 PM
moeo7
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changing exhaust qu8estion

I have a 2007 road king with stock exhaust. they are very quiet. I just ordered some slip ons from American classic motors. I have been reading all these threads about the motor being to lean after altering the stock exhaust. Also some companys selling aftermarket slip ons state that you don't need to retune with their products. my question is wouldn't the check engine light go on if the motor was running to lean and harming the motor?

Old 07-16-2014, 09:24 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

I'm no expert but I dont think the light would come on for a lean condition because there is no part that is malfunctioning. Could be wrong but that is my guess. If you are only doing slip ons and not changing the air cleaner to a high flow you are ok without a retune because the bike will compensate for a small change in air flow. Your bike is already running lean from the factory.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:24 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Don't know about the warning light coming on but you do not need to re-tune if all you change is the exhaust. If you also change to a high performance free flowing air cleaner along with the better flowing exhaust then you need to download a re-tune. Stage 1 etc.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:44 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

But adding a tuner will allow you to make the bike run richer, which makes it run better and cooler. I strongly recommend adding a high flow air filter (K&N, etc) also. Then you could add nw cams, a big bore, high comp heads...never ending, but thats the fun of it.

Old 07-17-2014, 04:55 PM
moeo7
Intermediate

well I called the stealership today and the service guy that answered the phone stated that he would not run the bike with new pipes more than 500 miles and that I would cost about five hundred dollars for a tuner and about two hundred dollars for the high flow air filter. I asked him if there was any other way I was just looking to get a better sound, I am not looking for any performance gains. He stated that the bike would run lean with the new pipes and the tuner and filter was the only way. I cant believe all the conflicting information about adding pipes to a motorcycle. I am just going to have to break down and buy a tuner to see for myself if the bike is actually to lean or not.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:00 PM
moeo7
Intermediate

and is this lean problem only with Harley Davidsons or is it all bikes

Old 07-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Slip on's only will be fine. If you add an air cleaner then a tuner is recommended by most shops. Put those slip on's on the bike and enjoy your new found sound. The check engine light will not come on from a set of slip on's. The lack of knowledge is incredible. You'd think someone who works at the dealer might know a little about Harley Davidson motorcycles.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

You will be fine with the addition of a set of Slip-Ons ... ABSOLUTELY nothing to worry about. Further changes will require some "enriching" when and if you decide to.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:41 PM
KEYBEAR
Road Master

Really you called a dealer and was told to bring money ( say its not so )? Any download done by a dealer will still be lean and EPA compliant ( total ripoff ) .

Old 07-17-2014, 05:46 PM
Primetime_2
Tourer

Originally Posted by KEYBEAR
Really you called a dealer and was told to bring money ( say its not so )? Any download done by a dealer will still be lean and EPA compliant ( total ripoff ) .

took the words out of my mouth!

buy an aftermarket tuner like powervision or TTS, harley download for stage 1 is a joke

Quick Reply: changing exhaust qu8estion