Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 SGS for short rider

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:07 PM
hamajun
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 SGS for short rider

I did a test ride 2014 Street Bob, Softail, Slim, Street Glide and Road King, and I fell in love with 2014 SGS.

However, I'm short, 5-6 height and 28 inseam. While I'm comfortable to ride SGS once it hits the road, but I want to flatfoot. I was wearing regular walking shoes with no heel at the test ride, but I think I'd need at least 1.5 inches, desirably 2 inches lower from the stock configuration.

I learned from another thread that LA's lowering kit LA-7590-00B does not work for 14 SGS. Lowering 2014 SGS seems expensive..

This is what I'm thinking. These should give me 1 inch closer to ground.

* HD Low Profile Fork Kit P/N 45500157 $349.95
* HD Low Profile Shock P/N 54635-09 $299.95
* Lowered seat (TBD)
* Heeled boots (TBD)

I tried HD Reduced Reach Seat P/N 52619-08A. It brings me to closer to the handlebar, but not to the ground. I think I'd need my seat to be 1 inch forward and 1 inch~ lower, but I don't want to sacrifice comfort as I'm planning a long haul touring.

My question:
1. Is there any better way to lower 2014 SGS?
2. Seat recommendation?
3. Boots recommendation?

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2013, 05:15 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts

You can get riding boots with 2" heels from your friendly Harley dealer. Ask him to throw them in with the deal! Sorted. You'll be close enough and also have excellent grip from sturdy cleated soles. You don't need to flat-foot, just get close, as confidence after a few miles will see you fine.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by hamajun
I did a test ride 2014 Street Bob, Softail, Slim, Street Glide and Road King, and I fell in love with 2014 SGS.

However, I'm short, 5-6 height and 28 inseam. While I'm comfortable to ride SGS once it hits the road, but I want to flatfoot. I was wearing regular walking shoes with no heel at the test ride, but I think I'd need at least 1.5 inches, desirably 2 inches lower from the stock configuration.

I learned from another thread that LA's lowering kit LA-7590-00B does not work for 14 SGS. Lowering 2014 SGS seems expensive..

This is what I'm thinking. These should give me 1 inch closer to ground.

* HD Low Profile Fork Kit P/N 45500157 $349.95
* HD Low Profile Shock P/N 54635-09 $299.95
* Lowered seat (TBD)
* Heeled boots (TBD)

I tried HD Reduced Reach Seat P/N 52619-08A. It brings me to closer to the handlebar, but not to the ground. I think I'd need my seat to be 1 inch forward and 1 inch~ lower, but I don't want to sacrifice comfort as I'm planning a long haul touring.

My question:
1. Is there any better way to lower 2014 SGS?
2. Seat recommendation?
3. Boots recommendation?

Thanks!
That bike already comes with lower rear shocks so no need to buy those. Lower the front and then send the seat to Mean City Cycles and you will be set. Also, being entirely flat footed is over-rated in my opinion...

Old 11-10-2013, 05:24 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

really- look at getting a machine that fits you.

the SG is lowered an inch in the rear which can equal a harsh ride, you can lower the front an inch...and thus a harsher ride

and reduced cornering ability and curb/ speedbump clearance.

some riders spend THOUSANDS trying to change the bike they like the look of...do some more test riding.

remember what I said about harsh ride....well that is not only shocks but seat padding too.
if you want to do 8 to 10 hour days you have to be comfy and in control.

look at a dyna framed bike maybe

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-10-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:31 PM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you came to the right place...I just picked up my 14 SG Special..

I am 5'6".with a 29" inseam..

I added an ince to my boots at my local shoemaker...and I added the lowering kit to the front..

I am now just about flat footing the bike....I may just add another 3/4" to my boots...

I do not agree with some of the post on here...lowering the front will not have any affect on the riding or the handling....I can say that first hand...I have a 14 SG

Old 11-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Charlie Fogg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't go messing with the suspension, front or rear.

Riding boots with a thick sole and modified seat should be all you need. Mean City is one outfit that can get you closer to ground and forward while making your seat more comfortable for longer rides.

I agree that you do not have to be completely flat footed. I am not on my FLHTK and would not want to be any lower.

Save your money for apes/mini apes as my guess is that the stock bars will cause you problems.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:42 PM
Northbound Southerner
Elite HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by hogowner69

I do not agree with some of the post on here...lowering the front will not have any affect on the riding or the handling....I can say that first hand...I have a 14 SG
Agreed. Way too many folks talking out of their a** on here. They read a bunch and are all the sudden experts...Shorter people tend to be LIGHTER which helps when you lower a bike. If you weigh 150 lbs, you don't NEED the entire suspension travel...My bikes are always lowered with quality components. They always ride better than stock. That is real world experience. Not something I read on the internet...

Old 11-10-2013, 05:59 PM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by themouth!!!
Agreed. Way too many folks talking out of their a** on here. They read a bunch and are all the sudden experts...Shorter people tend to be LIGHTER which helps when you lower a bike. If you weigh 150 lbs, you don't NEED the entire suspension travel...My bikes are always lowered with quality components. They always ride better than stock. That is real world experience. Not something I read on the internet...
and the '14 SG Specials are lowered in the rear already with the premium shocks..so lowering the front 1" has NO effect!

Old 11-10-2013, 06:48 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

you came to the right place...I just picked up my 14 SG Special..

I am 5'6".with a 29" inseam..

I added an ince to my boots at my local shoemaker...and I added the lowering kit to the front..

I am now just about flat footing the bike....I may just add another 3/4" to my boots...

Before you add more to your soles try some heel lift inserts.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:17 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

so lowering the front 1" has NO effect!

chassis and suspension dynamics are facts.

not up for a vote.

Reduced suspension travel (and thus time), lean angle, clearance, rake and trail are all real world things.
and have to be considered- and the above quoted statement is ill- considered.

again, many riders spend thousands trying to make the wrong ride fit. and the OP might do well to do some more searching before buying.
proposed mods listed are already probably at close to $800 added costs already

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 11-10-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Quick Reply: 2014 SGS for short rider