Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do the 14's Have the "Bagger Wobble"

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 05:46 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Do the 14's Have the "Bagger Wobble"

Since this is my first touring bike and having read Mr Browns post on "bagger wobble" does this issue still exist on the 14 models? Should I be concerned since I like to ride the twisties pretty aggressively?

Old 11-28-2013, 05:52 PM
txcomp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an 08 which was the last year of the "old" frame and I could get it to wobble, even with a frame brace. I haven't been able to get my 14 to wobble on the same roads so I'm going to say no they don't.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:14 PM
mhsmith451
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope...disappeared in 09..

Old 11-28-2013, 06:15 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 394 Likes on 336 Posts

"BW" is often attributed to such things as poor tire condition, or riders who don't check tire pressure...and with time, worn swing arm mounts..loose shocks and other "stuff"

My 09 is solid as a rock- but my 1995 model was pretty darn good too...ran up to abut 65,000 miles then did the swingarm and some other stuff...rode up over 82,000 miles before selling it.
and the bike had capabilities beyond my skill.
I may be more forgiving on the "BW" issue as I have alot of old bikes and on many of them it is possible to push the bike past it's limits

there are limits to anything

1 thing- the batwing fairing can lift the front end above about 85 MPH wind speed ( the 2014 may be better)- so reduced traction at high speeds can allow the front wheel to dance...tapping the front brake can get it to settle some
also if leaned over in a canyon, updrafts may affect one side of the fairing more than the other...

any fairing buffeting translates to "steering input" as the fairing is attached to the forks.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-01-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:18 PM
flhxs103
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ejvette
Since this is my first touring bike and having read Mr Browns post on "bagger wobble" does this issue still exist on the 14 models? Should I be concerned since I like to ride the twisties pretty aggressively?
Mines never done it.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:24 PM
Racie
Novice

This is my first bagger and it's a 14' coming from racing crotch rockets I don't think this one will come close to wobbling since I still ride this one in the hill country pretty aggressive thru corners and bumps every now and then.

Old 11-30-2013, 07:18 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

We'll that's good to hear

Old 12-01-2013, 07:00 AM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the 09-13 bikes still did it. I've heard owners complain of it, and they make braces for these bikes. The fact that hd has escaped from a product recall amazes me. People have died from it. I've owned 5 touring bikes, and the only one that did the wobble was the one I currently own. The brace fixed mine. Hopefully this is no longer present on new models.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:54 AM
HarleyQC
Cruiser

Just a thought, why would anyone want to ''ride the twisties pretty aggressively'' with a 800+ pounds bike that is not built for this kind of activity? Dont be surprise if you get wobble it's like your asking for it.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:24 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Contacted by Lawyers

I get contacted by Lawyers about 2X a year to testify at wrongful death trials. I always decline the invention. On a very few cases I hear details of what happened. The one that sticks out in my mind is the cop that was traveling at 85 MPH on an interstate, went around a simi on a left hand sweeper, went into a wobble, crashed and died. No one hit him and there were several eye witnesses whom were motorcyclists, one being the simi driver. It is a shame that the owners of those bikes who experienced the wobble first hand can not come forward and dispel the myth there is no bagger wobble, but they are dead. Maybe they only experienced it just that one time but I guess that was enough.

I personally believe that the clamped top triple found only on 2014's (at this time) would be one of the major fixes for it. Time will tell.

Quick Reply: Do the 14's Have the "Bagger Wobble"