Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Per HD,Twin cooled are much cooler then Air cooled (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/929725-per-hd-twin-cooled-are-much-cooler-then-air-cooled.html)

Greg2012FLHTK 12-23-2013 05:31 PM

Per HD,Twin cooled are much cooler then Air cooled

I Just read an Article on page 34 of the newest (Issue 305) of American Iron Magazine on the 2014 Twin-Cooled system. It says "The new system definitely reduces the heat given off by the engine on a 2014 Twin-Cooled 103" or 110" Twin Cam. H-D claims a 30F drop in oil temperature and a 200-250F drop in cylinder head temps compared to an air-cooled engine of the same displacement, and we believe it." I have an HD digital dip stick. I know there accuracy is questionable, but I used the same dipstick on both bikes so the differances should be fairly accurate. On long 70 mph highway runs on my 2012 FLHTK in temps over 90 it would show my oil in the 240-260 range. On my 2014 FLHTK I have never seen the temp over 218. That coincides with what the article stated. It is a very good article on how the system works.

bmaier 12-23-2013 05:35 PM

Wow 200 degrees lower head temp sounds pretty extreme

Beaux 12-23-2013 05:36 PM

Not too many have doubted it until they start leaking ........

Gunnysgt 12-23-2013 05:43 PM

Why is it the guys that don't have a twin cooled are the most vocal about problems with them and make the most wise cracks? Mine also runs about 30 degrees cooler in oil temp versus the 2013 Road King I also own. 3500 trouble free miles on my limited. The few that have had some issues with bad vendor parts are far far exceeded by those of us that have had no problems with our twin cooled at all. It does run cooler

Northbound Southerner 12-23-2013 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt (Post 12120081)
Why is it the guys that don't have a twin cooled are the most vocal about problems with them and make the most wise cracks? Mine also runs about 30 degrees cooler in oil temp versus the 2013 Road King I also own. 3500 trouble free miles on my limited. The few that have had some issues with bad vendor parts are far far exceeded by those of us that have had no problems with our twin cooled at all. It does run cooler

It's called sour grapes...they think it makes them sound more "biker" rebelling against new technology...

Bachus 12-23-2013 07:20 PM

I'm OLD SCHOOL, love the new fangled 09 FLHTP.

I know that water/twin cooled is the way to go, retaining the "look" of H-D with better emissions, more power.

Hope that they get all the bugs worked out in the first year. You have to expect some teething problems with a new design, this is a big move for H-D. Cut them some slack, they will fix the problems and find a better way to achieve the required results.

I'm keeping the 09 until retirement, if I do wear it out, I'll rebuild and ride it the rest of MY life.

H-D is headed in the right direction. Give them a little time to get it right.

Dan B.
Central Ks.

skipperhd1 12-24-2013 04:03 AM

how hot?

i'm old school, but i'm not proud of it! i bought a 1983 shovelhead bagger from southside harley in indianapolis in 1991! at the time the dealer told me the shovels ran much hotter than the evo's. i think they said the shovels ran about 270 degrees and the evo's ran about 212 degrees' anyway, i've quoted that conversation for years! it is interresting to heard you guys numbers as far as temps because i havn't seen anything for years! after harley figures the cooling system out, the temps will go up because harley will up the performance! cheers from montana:icon_beerchug:

Gunnysgt 12-24-2013 07:21 AM

One thing you have to remember is those old shovels and Evos were 74 and 80 Cubic inches, (1200s and 1340s), the new bikes are 103 cubes and have loads more power with that extra displacement. I rode a '52 Pan for 8 years. The motor we run now was designed over 100 years ago, Harley knows that if they continued to make bigger and bigger motors with more power, something has to change with cooling. Talk about bad designs, that single bolt exhaust port system on the shovels was a disaster. You had to buy a locking bolt just to try to keep the exhaust head pipe attached to the port.

Guntoter 12-24-2013 07:33 AM

Gunny makes some good points. Since the twin cam came out, almost anyone can jump on a Harley and ride cross country with no more knowledge about bikes and engines other than where to put the gas in, they are that reliable. And they make loads more power, even though there are still many complaints about how "slow" it is.

Many years ago I used to shade tree mechanic on a few shovels and iron head Sportsters and all you did was work on those things. Seldom were they ever in great running condition, there was always some quirk with them you had to know about to keep them running or just get them started. Oil leaks, exhaust leaks, lifter noises, oil use, loose valve guides, fuel leaks, flooding over, hesitations, choke problems, you name it. Its a joy to get on these newer bikes and just push a button and go. Although the twin cam runs hotter, it still isn't that much worse than those old iron cylinder engines.

beary 12-24-2013 08:11 AM

It's important to keep in perspective that MOCO added the Wethead for rider/passenger comfort, not performance. Added performance is a nice plus, but not the main reason for the new engine.

Beary