Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rotator Cuff Surgery - How Long To Get Back On The Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 05:47 AM
SoZoomMe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Rotator Cuff Surgery - How Long To Get Back On The Bike?

MRI shows partial tears to 3 of the 4 tendons, plus a bone spur. Surgeon is going to scope the shoulder on the 30th. Has anyone had a similar procedure? How long before I can get back on the bike? Any info would be much appreciated. Rich

Old 01-19-2014, 06:12 AM
db2753
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A co-worker had the exact same issue you do. Surgery went well then came rehab plus home exercises. He was out of work a total of 8 weeks. This was about a year ago and even now he can't raise his arm up as far as the other arm but he has no pain. He can reach straight out without any issues so grabbing the handle bars shouldn't be a problem for you. I feel your pain, I just went through ruptured disk surgery on my back and the doc said no riding for 3 months.

Best of luck,

Old 01-19-2014, 06:19 AM
SoZoomMe
Road Captain

Thanks db. Not the best of news. I can't miss that much work, so I'm going to have to figure something out. No heavy lifting in my job though, so maybe it won't be an issue. Hope your back heals quick.

Last edited by SoZoomMe; 01-19-2014 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:23 AM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Received 755 Likes on 282 Posts

Depends on your age, bro. I had my right arm done almost 15 years ago when I was 39....back on the bike in 6 weeks (with a LOT of phys. therapy). Had my Left arm done about a year ago, closer to eight weeks with phys. therapy twice a week.
Good luck, and hopefully you'll be riding when it's above 60deg.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:35 AM
SoZoomMe
Road Captain

Thanks, bones. I'm 48, and will going to physical therapy 3 times a week. Will also be sure to do the exercises at home.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:40 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,335 Likes on 3,273 Posts

PT is the key....If you are compliant you will get better... Key exercises for the rest of your life...I have a few tears and i am not having surgery... the strenghtening exersizes will work for me until i can't stand it no more...

Old 01-19-2014, 07:01 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had both rotator cuffs worked on. Left about 8 years ago and right in 2011. Right never got better until about six months ago. Right was worse after the surgery than before. over a year of PT, Chiro, and Acupuncture and still no improvement. Both shoulders seem to have improved on their own over the last 6 months - only after I quit all PT, chiro, and acupuncture. I was able to ride about 6 weeks after the surgery, but not without pain.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:03 AM
hambone51
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Agree with the PT thing. Do EVERYTING the therapist tells you to do and do your range of motion and any other exercises they recommend at home. Take your narcotic pain meds! I had surgery in March of `11 and was riding (not long distances) by August. May have been able to earlier, but did not want to risk injury again. I asked the doc to be honest with me and tell me how painful it would be. He said "It will hurt like a mother! Better off breaking shoulder." He was right! Probably have 85-90% of shoulder back. Crunches, but ok. Good Luck!

Old 01-19-2014, 07:08 AM
BigDawgQC
Road Warrior

Received 313 Likes on 173 Posts

I'm had my right shoulder done at 52 on Dec.19th 2012. He had to put 4 anchors in it. Against physical therapist orders...( I had to get out on a 73 degree day January) I took a sort ride in late January. I worked hard at PT. My goal was to be able to ride to Daytona Bike Week. I took short rides thru out Feb-March, (still against PT's orders) but after an hour......my shoulder was killing me. So, couldn't do Daytona. Was released from PT in April and was good for Myrtle Beach Bike Week. Make sure you do the home exercises & PT. Take it serious & you'll recover much quicker. Had the left shoulder done in 2009. I beat the hell out of my body over the years...racing motocross, football & being a paratrooper. Now, father time, weight...LOL...my knees, hips, ankles & back are hurting!

Last edited by BigDawgQC; 01-19-2014 at 07:10 AM.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:10 AM
NiteOwlNY
Tourer

I need to go have a new MRI done of my shoulder, I was in a bad car accident 14 years ago and I actually have nerve damage down both arms. It's been a few years since my last MRI but I also have a C-spine injury that will never go away.

With the new bike sitting in the garage I'll be avoiding my Dr for at least another 6 months because pain or not I'm going to be doing some serious miles this year.

Definitely listen and do what the therapist says! I do a lot of rotator cuff exercises on my own when I'm at the gym just trying to keep the strength up in it, not always easy.

Quick Reply: Rotator Cuff Surgery - How Long To Get Back On The Bike?