Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin Zumo GPS Work With Navigation Interface?

Old 01-19-2014, 10:59 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master
Received 322 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Garmin Zumo GPS Work With Navigation Interface?

I originally posted this in the Audio sections but no replies. Guess no one over there has had this question come up or no one has tried to use a non Road Tech GPS with the Harley NIM unit.

First off i have done a search for this but really ddin't find an answer for this question.

I am looking into getting a GPS. Garmin has a Zumo 390 I like with some options that are not on the 660. Mainly the Curvy road feature and exit services. Plus if wanted to it has the service logs and tire pressure monitoring system too.

My question is this, if I was to use the NIM from Harley in the instructions it says the GPS ( Road Tech ) must have a certain software update to be able to use the NIM. Does this unit ( NIM ) only work with the Harley Road Tech Zumo's or can it be paired or used should say with a Garmin unit that is not Harley's Road Tech GPS's?

I am thinking of having Iron Cross install the Bluetooth when I send my radio to them for the backlight color change. They have replied to me saying if this is done then they have to disconnect the Aux because it is used for the Bluetooth. If this is done then the Aux cannot be used for the Aux connection for the Garmin ( non Harley ) GPS and will have to rely on the NIM for my turn prompts.

Also on some sites it is showing the Road Tech 660 as being obsolete. Anyone know something on this?

Bottom line question, does the NIM only work with Harley Road Tech GPS's? Has anyone used a Garmin Zumo GPS that is not a Harley Road Tech with NIM and have it work?

Old 01-20-2014, 04:12 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the NIM only works with Harley branded GPS. The NIM needs a pre signal before the guidance is spoken, that is what causes it to mute the audio. The Garmin branded Zumo does not have that feature.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:19 AM
ghostrunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider
I believe the NIM only works with Harley branded GPS. The NIM needs a pre signal before the guidance is spoken, that is what causes it to mute the audio. The Garmin branded Zumo does not have that feature.
When read the instructions thought that was gonna be the deal.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:33 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Can't answer your question, but I just got a Zumo 390 LM with TPMS for Christmas, and I am digging it.
I sure hate that my Sweetie paid that much for it, but she thinks I am worth it, I guess!

Old 01-20-2014, 10:24 AM
ghostrunner
Road Master

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
Can't answer your question, but I just got a Zumo 390 LM with TPMS for Christmas, and I am digging it.
I sure hate that my Sweetie paid that much for it, but she thinks I am worth it, I guess!
That's the one I'm looking at. Yes it's high cuz just came out I guess. Lot of extras.

Do you really like the curvy road feature or have you used it yet? Have you got it hooked up to the Aux jack or did you go Bluetoot?. Where did you mount it?

Old 01-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the NIM ONLY works with the HD Road Tech 660 or 665. No one has had another GPS and made it work with the NIM.

Someone above already mentioned this, but I will again, the NIM requires a digital pulse wave (in the beginning used a tone) to activate the mute on the head unit and push the spoken directions. This is only in the firmware for the RT units, the other Garmin units use different firmware. Even a Garmin Zumo 660 uses different FW than the Garmin RT Zumo 660.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:51 PM
SCJE8
Club Member

Originally Posted by Copyless
Yes, the NIM ONLY works with the HD Road Tech 660 or 665. No one has had another GPS and made it work with the NIM.

Someone above already mentioned this, but I will again, the NIM requires a digital pulse wave (in the beginning used a tone) to activate the mute on the head unit and push the spoken directions. This is only in the firmware for the RT units, the other Garmin units use different firmware. Even a Garmin Zumo 660 uses different FW than the Garmin RT Zumo 660.
Copyless is correct...ONLY the Road Tech Series will provide the voice prompts you are looking for.

Steve

Old 01-20-2014, 10:04 PM
ghostrunner
Road Master

Yep that's what I figured.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:16 AM
SCJE8
Club Member

Originally Posted by ghostrunner
Yep that's what I figured.
It's one of those, "What the hell?" kind of things...this should absolutely work! I don't know if it was intentional, but I suspect it was on the MOCO's part. It has been researched to death but the results are always the same...it will not work.

Having said that...I purchased the Road Tech version of the 660. I have been very pleased with the unit. I use it in all of my vehicles and keep it updated with respect to maps and firmware. It's a well made piece of electronics.

I hope this helps...

Steve

Old 01-21-2014, 11:41 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrunner
That's the one I'm looking at. Yes it's high cuz just came out I guess. Lot of extras.

Do you really like the curvy road feature or have you used it yet? Have you got it hooked up to the Aux jack or did you go Bluetoot?. Where did you mount it?
Curvey Road feature is really nice. Mine is mounted on my RKC on a RAM Mount, right side bolted thru the master cylinder mount. I use Bluetooth. My Smartphone is mounted likewise on the left side. I tilt my GPS to where I see my chin in the reflection when off, so on the road glare is no issue. TPMS is really nice too, I am used to it on my other vehicles, great measure for safety. It comes with the mounting hardware I used, handle bar mount, windshield mount (car), and sticky mount (whatever). I bought a Garmin "Bean bag" mount to use in my other vehicles ( I just like it to swap from one vehicle to another or hide from view when parked).
As stated, I am diggin' it, but man it is pricey!
It's what you pay for the latest, greatest, I guess...