Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Fuel Moto stage 1 air cleaner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 10:27 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which Fuel Moto stage 1 air cleaner?

Getting ready to order a PV from Fuel Moto, and I scraped up enough coin to get the air cleaner too. No extra for the head pipe, but I've decatted the OEM pipe so it's close enough for right now.

Question is: There are 2 stage 1 air cleaners I'm looking at. The Arlen Ness Big Sucker is chrome and costs $129.00. The Fuel Moto Billet costs the same but is "aluminum". The Chrome Fuel Moto is $159. What is the real difference between them? I've looked at the instructions that FM has for their unit and it looks really simple. No instructions are posted for the ANBS so I don't know about that. I'm going to use (at least right now) the OEM football cover so I don't think I need to spend the extra on the FM chrome.

What say you guys?

Thanks,

David

Old 01-23-2014, 10:43 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member

The Arlen Ness I got was plain aluminum it's just a plain flat silver or grey color.Not a big deal since very little of it shows.
It was very easy to install but make sure you use Locktight on everything if you don't it'll loosen up over time and leak oil from the crank case vents.Also the crank case venting is built into the housing so if you decide you want to go to external crank case breathers at some future point you won't be able to without changing your intake.And the OEM football cover will work just fine with the Ness but it will trap heat.

Last edited by SPECIAL ED; 01-23-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,552 Likes on 1,312 Posts

I have Arlen Big Sucker on another Harley, on my Road King I have the Aluminum Billet FM. Both installs were a piece of cake. Not sure it matters a whole lot on Stage 1.

I bought the FM at the same time I bought headers and jackpots and Power Vision.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:48 AM
golfman
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have bought 2 big sucker kits now one for my nightrain and one for my street glide.
Very happy with both.

Old 01-23-2014, 10:51 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

The Fuel Moto solid billet backing plate will never crack/break, the Arlen Ness aluminum plate will crack...Been there, done it.....

Old 01-23-2014, 11:26 AM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

I have the FM stage 1 air cleaner on my wide glide which works well and is easy to install.
Here is my.02 worst
This A.C. cleaner like others and the stock A.C vent the motor back into the A.C.. .
DK custom stage one A.C. doesn't vent the motor back into the a.c.. That to me seams like a good thing
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with .FM or ANBS they are both good and get the job done

Last edited by rsking45; 01-23-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:34 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I went the route of DK Outlaw and it seems to work great. I wouldn't do the AN because when I needed help, they didn't return my (2) calls. FM will take care of you if there is an issue. There you go.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:27 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For my money the AN works just fine and fits behind the football cover. Have had 2 now on 2 different bikes and have had no issues. Pretty much all Stage 1 A/Cs flow the same. It becomes a matter of preference and how much you want to spend.

Old 01-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Both would work pretty much the same underneath the football.

Fuel Moto seems to be the better made, and since you are already ordering from them, why not.

Sometimes they have a special if you order a package. Might be worth asking them if they will give you a break on the pair...

Old 01-23-2014, 12:58 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

I have placed my order. I did go with the FM air cleaner. Thanks, fellas!

David

Quick Reply: Which Fuel Moto stage 1 air cleaner?