Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me with speaker lowers

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 10:06 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Help me with speaker lowers

I wanted go get a little more sound/power from my fairing DB651's and soundstream amp. Someone suggested putting 6x9 speakers in my saddlebags but that's not the route I want; therefore, I'm thinking about adding lowers. I've read a few threads on aftermarket lowers but I have a few questions/concerns:

1 - I'm thinking of the Mutazu lowers. http://http://www.mutazu.com/product...500&s=prod.php. I've read threads where guys both love and hate these. I've noticed that they also sell something called a "quick release mounting hardware." What is this and is this required?

2 - Other than the lowers (and speakers) what else will I need to purchase? If there's anything from HD such as the above referenced quick release mounting hardware of anything similar, will someone shoot me the part #.

3 - What size speakers can I run in these lowers? Can I run a 6.5 inch speaker in lowers?

4 - Are lower's the best alternative to extra speakers that would go into the saddle bags?

Thanks guys!

Old 01-27-2014, 11:28 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

You will also need speaker pods to mount 6.5" speakers. The CVO speaker pods are great with vented lowers. Fairing Factory makes some for non-vented lowers. Grills are limited fitment in the pods but but I got my JL grilles to fit nice with a little trimming on them. I was running non-vented lowers and fairing factory pods but picked up a nice set of vented lowers and added CVO pods I had painted. I'm running Polk MM651 in the fairing and JL C2 component 6.5s in the lowers with the tweeters in the lower gauge hole. Power is Kenwood head and JL 400-4 amp. ROCKS!!!
Looking to sell non-vented lowers and pods if anyone interested.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 01-27-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 AM
INSteelersFan
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running Mutazu lowers and they look good, but my advice would be to skip the Mutazu hardware. You could pick it up from a hardware store or even buy HD stuff.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:13 AM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Answer for your question #1:
No... you do not need the quick detach hardware, and it will be pointless to buy this if you are going to put speakers in the lowers, because you will have to remove the speaker before removing the actual lower... which is not going to be a "quick detachment". I do have this hardware on my lowers, because it came with the kit I purchased but I never take the lowers off.
Question #2:
You will need the actual Pods for 6.5" speakers like these...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-David...16bd58&vxp=mtr
Question #3: Yes you can run a 6.5 speaker... but be careful of which speaker you choose. If the speaker is listed on Crutchfield.com as a 6.75" speaker... it will most likely not fit without modifying the speaker housing. (Polk Audios will fit perfectly)
Question #4: In my opinion... yes, lowers are your best bet for additional speakers.

Side note... depending on which speaker(s) you decide to go with... make sure you have an amp large enough to push them! Rockford Fosgate just released a brand new line of amps specifically designed for the Harley Bagger... but I'm sure they are even in stores yet. The JL Audio "XD" line is also a great choice for an amp with lots of power in a small package. Hope that helps... cheers!

Old 01-30-2014, 09:20 AM
Miked053
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for my recommendation see sig