Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Half Azzed Fuel Moto Stage 1, first ride impressions and questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 02:05 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Half Azzed Fuel Moto Stage 1, first ride impressions and questions

I'm calling it Half Azzed because I did not change the head pipe or mufflers. They're still OEM. The catalyst has been removed from the headpipe so I doubt there would be much performance gain if I did install a 2-1-2 aftermarket headpipe. Mufflers, maybe, but I'm tapped out right now. Gotta save my pennies.

First of all my butt dyno isn't all that calibrated so I won't try and tell you that the rear tire chirped jamming into 6th gear. It seems a little more responsive and the sound of the air being sucked in at WOT was pretty cool!

A couple of thoughts.

I've always had a little clatter running along at 2600-2800RPM under light acceleration. A good example is interstate riding with the cruise on and coming to a small hill. I didn't notice it on my test ride. Is this my imagination, or will a good tune really cure that? Seems that it did.

At shutdown after I parked it, I had a distinct hot oil smell. I'm thinking that it's just the vapor venting from the motor being more noticeable with the open air filter. True?

I have no idea what the gas mileage will be I only rode about 30 miles. My mileage has never been as good as I see some getting. I get 36 or so. I don't know how some of you guys get 40-45 out of it. What kind of mileage changes did you guys see with the stage 1?

If I had it to do over again, I'd have gotten the chrome air cleaner kit instead of the aluminum kit. The two big breather bolt spacers are stained and spotted. Really look like crap. When it cools down, I'll see what a little polish will do. Hopefully, they'll clean up a little bit.

That's it, Thanks in advance for any comments.

Ride Safe

David

Old 02-01-2014, 05:51 PM
Chief21
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just curious as to what tuner you went with from them? I'm in the same boat as you. Probably just going to de-cat the head pipe and throw a tuner from FuelMoto at it. Don't even know if I will change the A/C.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:33 PM
Webo
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I assume you told FM you were running the stock decatted pipe with stock mufflers and a high flow air cleaner and they loaded the PV with a tune for that combination. The clattering you described is usually due to bad gas/hot motor/timing advance/pre detonation. The timing could have be changed compared to the stock map but I wouldn't think its hot enough right now to really experience pre detonation. My guess is without the cat the exhaust is louder so you no longer hear the normal valve train noises. As for the cast backing plate I hear you, I bought the HD stage one AC that goes under the stock cover at first and when I pulled it out of the box and noticed the plain cast plate I took it back and went with the SE Ventilator because it's the black wrinkle finish to match the motor. You can buy the chrome back plate from HD for $60 and the chrome bolts to dress it up and make it look 100x better.

Last edited by Webo; 02-01-2014 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-01-2014, 06:43 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

I went with the Power Vision. It's pricey but it was so easy to use. And I like that if you do anything else to your bike, Fuel Moto will send you the correct map. You might reconsider not getting the air cleaner. FM gives you a pretty good discount if you buy both at the same time. The air cleaner was very easy to install as well. It took me longer to remove the Xieds than it did to install it, and flash the ECM. I'm happy with it.

David

Old 02-01-2014, 07:02 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Do a few Autotune runs and you'll be set. And don't forget to calibrate your speedo.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:16 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

The single best thing you can do for your bike is to tune it. Do a few tuning runs and get that thing running right.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:27 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

Originally Posted by Webo
I assume you told FM you were running the stock decatted pipe with stock mufflers and a high flow air cleaner and they loaded the PV with a tune for that combination. The clattering you described is usually due to bad gas/hot motor/timing advance/pre detonation. The timing could have be changed compared to the stock map but I wouldn't think its hot enough right now to really experience pre detonation. My guess is without the cat the exhaust is louder so you no longer hear the normal valve train noises. As for the cast backing plate I hear you, I bought the HD stage one AC that goes under the stock cover at first and when I pulled it out of the box and noticed the plain cast plate I took it back and went with the SE Ventilator because it's the black wrinkle finish to match the motor. You can buy the chrome back plate from HD for $60 and the chrome bolts to dress it up and make it look 100x better.
Yes, I gave Fuel Moto my specs when I ordered the Power Vision. It feels pretty good, but I'll read up on the PV closely and do a few tuning runs to get it exact.

I decatted the headpipe over a year ago so the louder pipes aren't new, but for whatever reason, I didn't hear the clatter. Maybe wishful thinking plugging my ears. :-)

I don't mind the backing plate. I kept the OEM football cover so you can't see it anyway. I was referring to the spacers that Fuel Moto provides for the breather bolts. They're just fugly and very visible. I'm a little surprised that they'd send something like that out considering all the thought that went into the kit. I may end up getting them powder coated, or I may just live with it for now.

Thanks for the input.

David

Old 02-01-2014, 09:31 PM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hausguy
Do a few Autotune runs and you'll be set. And don't forget to calibrate your speedo.
Originally Posted by '05Train
The single best thing you can do for your bike is to tune it. Do a few tuning runs and get that thing running right.
Yep, I'll read up on the procedure and do just that to get it as perfect as I can.

Thanks, guys

David

Old 02-02-2014, 05:46 AM
77Tulsa
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Auto Tune,

Originally Posted by Hausguy
I had a friend that says he turned on his auto tune and then unplugged the power vision? I just put my power vision on and really don't see how it can auto tune when not installed. So after all of that, you have to leave the power vision attached during the auto tune Correct?

Old 02-02-2014, 06:01 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 701 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by 77Tulsa
I had a friend that says he turned on his auto tune and then unplugged the power vision? I just put my power vision on and really don't see how it can auto tune when not installed. So after all of that, you have to leave the power vision attached during the auto tune Correct?
Correct. Your friend is wrong.

Quick Reply: Half Azzed Fuel Moto Stage 1, first ride impressions and questions