Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Lite LED causing radio interferance

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2014, 05:58 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Truck Lite LED causing radio interferance

I have a 2006 FLHTCI. I installed a Truck Lite LED head light and when the light is on I have radio interference. Changed out the hidden antenna to the stock one and interference is still there. Turn ignition to Aux and it goes away. Any one have this problem and know of a fix? TIA....

Trucky911

Old 04-06-2014, 06:47 PM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the set on my bike, no problems whatsoever. Sounds like your problem is in your hidden antenna dude.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:08 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

with switch in ign position and noise through radio...unplug the trucklite.

if the noise stops, that could be your problem.

It may be that the power supply in the trucklite is bad, call the vendor tomorrow

make sure you ground wires are nice & tight under teh fairing

mike

Old 04-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
make sure you ground wires are nice & tight under teh fairing

mike
This is exactly where I would look. About the time you think it's ok, check one more time.

Old 04-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Thanks for the replies, I'll call Truck lite tomorrow. The radio works fine with the stock light. That being I think some thing is up with the Truck Lite. my67pnycar I changed back to the stock antenna as in my OP.....

Trucky911 (The Dude)

Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I would be surprised to hear the issue is the LED headlight..HID head lights are another story...but I have been surprised before...for noise in the radio I sould be checking for high voltage leaks from the coil and the spark wires and for proper grounding of the radio/amp etc.

Old 04-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Talked to Truck Lite this morning. So I'll be checking the grounds. Sure hope I can find them all. Here is what they sent me....

Check List:

1. Are the Stereo and the antenna grounded well and similarly? (I.E. both chassis ground? Dealer should check the ground of both the antennas and the radio.

2. Is the antenna or its feed wire located near the headlamp power wires? (Sometimes the antenna feed wire is routed along with the headlamp power wires, and if there is a faulty ground on the antenna feed wire shielding, it will pick up power line noise.) Check for damaged connectors or dirty connections preventing good electrical contact. This would be a suspect area - there is a rats nest of wires concealed in the fairing body (mounted to the front forks). It would be easy to pinch wires or mis-route something in the fairing. Anyway, it gets back to the dealer checking the wiring.

3. Is the radio original and factory installed? Look for a loose connection or damaged part in the wiring or filtering.

4. LED's are extremely sensitive to grounding. That may be why your stock lamps didn't pick up the static and the LED is. Please check that as well.

Old 05-20-2014, 06:38 PM
k9t8m
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you ever solve this issue? Im having the exact same problem after installing my truck lite phase 7.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:45 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by k9t8m
Did you ever solve this issue? Im having the exact same problem after installing my truck lite phase 7.
I changed back to a Harley shorty antenna and I do not get as much static. I have found that in my garage it is bad, I back out of the garage and it clears up some. When I drive out of town it clears up more. I have noticed in my cages I get bad reception in and around where I live. The closer I drive to Ann Arbor or the other way to Detroit it comes in better. Also I haven't check the grounds yet. I haven't rode much this spring, bad weather, family stuff and I start a new job tomorrow, so don't know if I'll have time to go over it. If you find out any thing please let me know....

Trucky911

Old 02-15-2015, 04:46 PM
Randy nester
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phase 7 LED headlight emi electromagnetic interferance

I see that i am not the first to have the stereo issue after installing a brand X phase 7 led headlight.But...has anyone actually found the correct solution?
Everyone is saying check the obvious.I am a automotive tech of over 40+ years.It is a simple unplug a 3 wire connector and plug in new led headlight.NOTHING else changed.As others have said it gives the stereo very poor reception,Unplug the led headlight and all is well.I have done my research and came up with add grounds,Resistors,diodes.And that's all brand X tech support can tell me also.They can't tell me what size resistor to put or where to put it,just that they have fixed these issues.
This is very frustration to say the least
today i am getting the values of amps on OEM vs. Brand X headlight and figuring out what size resistor i need then install them inline.
When i find the fix i will be sure to forward it to tech support...LOL
That's a joke people.I will however share it on here .
I hope i have not broke the rules with this post.As i said this is very frustrating trying to figure this issue out by simply installing a LED headlight.I'm sure you can relate if you have this same problem

Quick Reply: Truck Lite LED causing radio interferance