Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   New 124" build is sumping? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/957508-new-124-build-is-sumping.html)

Duracell 04-13-2014 05:16 PM

New 124" build is sumping?

OK guys I need some help here. I'm running out of things to check. I had a complete bottom end rebuild done on my 08 Street Glide. I had a Jim's 4 5/8" crank installed, the Timkin bearing conversion was done and the cases were bored for 4.125 pistons. I had the heads done, and new valves and springs. I assembled it with new cylinders and pistons and a new stock oil pump. I fired it up with no problems heat cycled it a few times and took it to a tuner in the area.
He called the next day and told me it was sumping. He took the cam chest apart and I had put the wrong O ring on the scavenge side of the oil pump when I put it together. OK simple enough right, NOT. He called back the next day to tell me it was still sumping. I trailered the bike back home, ordered a Feuling cam plate and oil pump. Put it back together and it still sumped. I pulled the oil pan everything was clean and clear. I started following the oil path and found that the port from the sump back to the scavenge side of the oil pump seemed to be blocked. I pulled the motor back out, split the cases and found what was left of a black ty-wrap in the crank case. I wasn't happy but at least I had found the problem, or so I thought, NOT.
I blew out all the oil passages, made sure the cam plate and the oil pump were clear and reassembled the motor again. I noticed that the oil pressure at start up seemed a little higher than before, 50lbs at idle cold. I let it warm up and then took it for a short ride, maybe 2 miles. Everything seemed fine and I thought once again that all was good, NOT. It was still sumping, so bad the oil gauge was all over the place 10lbs to 35lbs. I figured I missed a piece. I tore the motor down again and found nothing, its spotless inside. I blew out the came plate nothing, dissembled the oil pump, clean.

What am I missing?

12hdrk 04-13-2014 05:44 PM

Geez. Other than the o-ring(S), I can't think of anything. You got the one on the pump and the two on the cam plate to engine... right?

dawg 04-13-2014 05:52 PM

Ya didn't have mainshaft helping ya did ya? Maybe he got into too many of those fruit filled mason jars in the back of the garage whilst building the bike.

dawg 04-13-2014 05:57 PM

Did you properly seat the rings? Block in the oil return passage in the heads or cylinders? You said you looked through the cam chest pretty good so I'm thinking of the other areas maybe.

Duracell 04-13-2014 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by dawg (Post 12582962)
Ya didn't have mainshaft helping ya did ya? Maybe he got into too many of those fruit filled mason jars in the back of the garage whilst building the bike.

Ha! Nope can't blame this one on Mainshaft.

Duracell 04-13-2014 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by dawg (Post 12582991)
Did you properly seat the rings? Block in the oil return passage in the heads or cylinders? You said you looked through the cam chest pretty good so I'm thinking of the other areas maybe.

It hasn't run long enough to seat the rings yet. The tuner heat cycled it but once he put it on the dyno and cranked the throttle a couple of times it was obvious that it was sumping so he stopped.

Duracell 04-13-2014 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by 12hdrk (Post 12582898)
Geez. Other than the o-ring(S), I can't think of anything. You got the one on the pump and the two on the cam plate to engine... right?

Yea all the O rings are good. I even disassembled the Feuling oil pump to make sure the two internal O rings at the plate that separates the two gerotors weren't pinched or distorted. I have to be missing something. I'm not having a minor sumping issue it's filling the sump in no time.

motolocopat 04-14-2014 09:05 PM

:icon_doh:

:icon_munching:

qtrracer 04-14-2014 09:33 PM

gear drive cams?

user 8373900 04-14-2014 10:21 PM

There's supposed to be 6-8 oz in there.

Mark