Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you KIDDING me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 04:35 AM
Marty31
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Slab1648
I will say all dealerships are not the same. My local dealership will barely give you the time of day. I rode to the upstate of South Carolina from my home in the midlands of SC last weekend. Got there and mashed down on the toe shifter which proceeded to go all the way to the floor board. Limped in to Greenville Harley and not only did they come out and look at it in the parking lot, agree with my proposed repair to make it home, but loaned me the tools from the shop for me to fix it in their parking lot. They even came out and made sure I didn't need any help and made suggestions as to how to correctly fix the problem knowing I wasn't gonna pay anyone to fix it as I do all the work I can to my bike myself. So I spent a whole $17 to by the part to fix my problem when I got back to my shop. That's customer service.
I like hearing stuff like this.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:29 AM
Granpita
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. It looks like my biggest mistake was not checking out the forum first. Thanks, Guys.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:36 AM
RottnRam
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BugBYter
RottnRam....

That's a nice tool there.

Looks like a piece of all-thread, heated, hammered flat and ground to shape???

that's my best guess.
Yea, always like to find things on the net.... One of these days I am going to get a message saying "You have reached the end of the internet, please turn around"

Old 04-20-2014, 06:49 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Don't beat yourself up too bad...quite a few of us have run into this "need HD tool" quandary, but there's always a work-around. As you can see, everything fm videos, to copper tube McGruber tools are out there...just got to ask/search away. Don't know if the '14 bikes differ fm my 09, but I did the screwdriver trick w/flashlight every time w/no issues. Just have to pay attn. to positioning and part assembly. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:21 AM
king124
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Granpita
OK. It looks like my biggest mistake was not checking out the forum first. Thanks, Guys.
if you need some assistance i would be more than happy to help you as i also have a 2014 sgs and have had the ignition switch out multible times. i am on the chester river also.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:45 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Granpita
.......I called my selling dealer. I didn't expect them to have it in stock. I also didn't expect them to refuse to sell me one. I could bring the bike in (how with locked forks and no ignition?) or they would pick it up and fix it but they wouldn't sell me the tool! I then drove to the dealership and had a polite discussion with the weekend manager. This dealership has a multi-location owner with the corresponding hierarchy so I didn't get anywhere. At this point, I left and called a not too distant 'non-network' dealer. Two minutes later, I had the tool on order and should have it within a week or so.......
interesting......I live a few miles south of Rommel, on the western shore. I just looked at their site for the first time in awhile. It looks like they have most of the Annapolis and Eastern Shore area sewed up. I've bought two bikes from those folks one when it was just Annapolis HD and then under Rommel. Never had a problem but always had them do the work. I'm lucky, being down here near Chesapeake Beach, All American HD, in Hughesville, is just as close and a better ride. I go there a lot for parts and a Saturday lunch. Its a small indi but nice bunch of folks. good luck with the fix.

Last edited by cass; 04-20-2014 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:28 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,248 Likes on 812 Posts

Wonder if moco would be interested I hearing about a dealership refusing to sell listed tools to a customer.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:38 AM
Divemaster
Cruiser

Thanks and nice job Uncle Larry....

Old 04-20-2014, 09:45 AM
longrides
Tourer

I have the Mark Paynes tool and it works great. $25.00

Old 04-20-2014, 09:45 AM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Just get this tool and your troubles are over. You still may need to use a screwdriver to get things in alignment, but once you do this tool will allow you to turn the forks and still use the ignition, without the stock **** in place.

http://www.marcparnes.com/HarleyIgnitionSwitchTool.htm

Quick Reply: Are you KIDDING me?