Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the eff is that smell?????

Old 04-20-2014, 06:05 PM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Received 754 Likes on 281 Posts
Default What the eff is that smell?????

Parked the '12 RK in the garage after about a two hour ride about a week ago. After about an hour, went into the garage (door was closed) and it smelled like a mix of gas, and a boiled egg fart. I checked my drawers to make sure it wasn't me, grabbed a beer out of the fridge and inspected the bike to see whatdaf@ck. I did have a small transmission leak where the tranny case attaches to the exhaust bracket a few weeks back, but I tightened it up and haven't had any more issues with that. At first I thought maybe trans fluid was leaking on the crosspipe. Nothing as far as I can tell. Next day, went on another ride and parked the garage again. About an hour later, went back in the garage and same gas/boiled egg fart smell. No leaking from the trans. ALSO, last time I filled the tank I put the cap on when done, drove about 500 feet and smelled gas.......the gas was venting out of the cap. I just figured I overfilled. Could it be a bad cap causing a funky gas smell? I got nothin'.........

Old 04-20-2014, 06:09 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

are u running gear oil instead of motor oil in your trans. if so that stuff wreaks. Also. mouse carcasses smell like what your describing also.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:13 PM
Boomer1143
Road Master
Received 174 Likes on 133 Posts

I would definitely start with a new gas cap if it was venting fuel. I have filled my tank to the top and never had the cap leak.

I'm not sure of your location but, does your bike have a charcoal canister for emissions control? I know I have smelled the odor you mention from cars when the catalytic converter is working. Just wondering if it's an emissions control caused odor.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:14 PM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Originally Posted by mikeo33y
are u running gear oil instead of motor oil in your trans. if so that stuff wreaks. Also. mouse carcasses smell like what your describing also.
Nah, Harley Formula+. And as far as the mice, we have an outside cat that wreaks havoc on most anything that crawls or craps in the backyard and garage.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:16 PM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Originally Posted by Boomer1143
I would definitely start with a new gas cap if it was venting fuel. I have filled my tank to the top and never had the cap leak.

I'm not sure of your location but, does your bike have a charcoal canister for emissions control? I know I have smelled the odor you mention from cars when the catalytic converter is working. Just wondering if it's an emissions control caused odor.
Tennessee. We're on the fast lane to screwing up the environment with all the coal, nukes and pig farm runoff.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:22 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,737 Likes on 18,543 Posts

I'd bet it's the trans oil too .... Harley or otherwise ... It's vents too!

Old 04-20-2014, 06:26 PM
DeeRoe
Road Master

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I'd bet it's the trans oil too .... Harley or otherwise ... It's vents too!

But I've been using this stuff for a long time. Why would it just start funking up my garage now? I checked the vent....even stuck my big honker down there to take a whiff. It don't smell like the fart smell in the garage after I get done riding.......

Old 04-20-2014, 07:01 PM
The Dude
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i have a 12 limited and since putting on the fuelmoto stage 1, I get a gas smell also in the garage after putting the bike away hot. I think its from either taking off the back side of the oe air cleaner or getting rid of the cat.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Duracell
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,652 Likes on 579 Posts

Might try pulling your Derby cover, only takes a few minutes. A bad stator will fry the fluid on your primary and the smell is unbelievable. Any issues with voltage or hard starting?

Old 04-20-2014, 07:57 PM
SunCruise
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Perhaps the cat ate the mouse, went into the garage, was admiring your bike, got gas and farted.
SC

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What the eff is that smell?????