Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   To 21 or Not to 21 That Is The Question (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/960744-to-21-or-not-to-21-that-is-the-question.html)

Hogpro 04-24-2014 12:42 PM

The smart thing to do when buying a new wheel is to keep the old in case you ever decide to sell the bike that way you can take off the wheel and sell and put stock back on teh bike.

Let's be honest here. We are all putting wheels on our bike as we like the way they look. Wheels are ALL about looks.

bigjimhp 04-24-2014 02:27 PM

Agreed

baldguy13 04-24-2014 02:45 PM

I have no issues with the 21" wheel. Love the look (although I am sticking with stock size). He just said it was either that or the ring. To me, that shouldn't be a decision. If you're more serious about one than the other, you already know where you stand.

sfcmo357 04-24-2014 02:48 PM

Dude, get the 21 inch!! I wish I had done it and wont do it right now because I like the look of my agitator. I've ridden my buddy's a couple of times and I see no difference in handling....I really don't understand the people who are saying it doesn't handle well----may have just been their experience (which is cool and completely understandable)....or maybe they have no experience with a 21 and are assuming. If you want it, can afford it, then get it!!!! However----I wont tell you to get it before you buy a ring!

You're going to find people who don't like them and think they are stupid just as there are people who used to think the following were stupid: cell phones, computers, iPhones, GPS, CD Players, MP3 players, phones with no cords, and power steering

Hogpro 04-24-2014 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by sfcmo357 (Post 12635328)
Dude, get the 21 inch!! I wish I had done it and wont do it right now because I like the look of my agitator. I've ridden my buddy's a couple of times and I see no difference in handling....I really don't understand the people who are saying it doesn't handle well----may have just been their experience (which is cool and completely understandable)....or maybe they have no experience with a 21 and are assuming. If you want it, can afford it, then get it!!!! However----I wont tell you to get it before you buy a ring!

That is what really gets me too. I ride twisty roads for hundreds of miles at a time on my 21" and like it better. I got my first Harley before I got married but didn't get my first set of rims until after the wedding.

Redbeard 04-24-2014 03:14 PM

Ask yourself, "Would the good people of HDForums rather look at pics of a ring or my bike with a new wheel?" and there's your answer.:icon_photo:

I'm all in favor of a 21" wheel. However, I say mount the new 18" tire and ride now. You can spend months looking at new wheels and stuff. Or maybe there's a multi-week wait for the new 21 wheel and tire. Plus you gotta get a new fender and paint it. Spring is not the time for your bike to be parked for no good reason.

CRF 04-24-2014 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by rg_dave (Post 12634885)
I'll chime in since I had a 21" on my streetglide and I am leaving my ultra at the stock size. I'm not leaving the Ultra at the stock size because I don't like 21", I'll share my reasons in a second. First, I didn't notice any negative handling effects with the 21". It takes about 5 mins if that long to get used to it. I rode it in all types of roads (even dirt and gravel), at very low to very high (110+) speeds, straight and twisty. I will say the ride is slightly more harsh due to less tire to soak up bumps but again you get used to that and won't notice unless you trade bikes with someone who is running a stock size. So why don't I put my 21" on my Ultra? I still have it. First, I actually like the look of my stock wheel. Second I'd rather spend my money on this bike on other things (one day I am going to get off my ass and sell the custom wheels). Third the one issue I ever had is it's tougher to find the low profile 21" tire out on the road if you have an issue. I've had that happen to me. Maybe its just my bad luck but I have found its always easier to find the stock sizes when I call around for a tire on short notice. I spend a lot more time on my current bike on long trips and I don't want to get stuck.

Excellent point here re: the availability of tires "out on the road"... one reason I'm sticking to the stock wheel size. That and the fact that everyone seems to be going to the bigger wheels and its a cheap way to stand out in a crowd!!!

pit1600 04-24-2014 04:11 PM

Go for it!!

pit1600 04-24-2014 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hogpro (Post 12634901)
The smart thing to do when buying a new wheel is to keep the old in case you ever decide to sell the bike that way you can take off the wheel and sell and put stock back on teh bike.

Let's be honest here. We are all putting wheels on our bike as we like the way they look. Wheels are ALL about looks.

oups!!! just sold my SG wheels (second set after oem ones), now i have to keep my Ultra!!!!

vzts4q 04-24-2014 04:42 PM

21s are fine as long as they are on a Dyna! I just don't get the big wheel thing. Don't even think they look cool on a Touring bike.