Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight Decel Pop after gutting Converter!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:11 PM
TSD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight Decel Pop after gutting Converter!!

Gutted the converter on my brother's 2013 Road Glide Ultra and now it has a slight decal pop when gearing down and coming to a stop. The bike still has stock air cleaner, no tuner and a set slip ons. Do I need to get a good tuner to get rid of this pop? I checked for exhaust leaks and have none. Thanks

Old 04-30-2014, 05:38 PM
BigTwins
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't sweat it...embrace it...It was probably always there, now you can hear it. He obviously wanted her a little nastier, shouldn't complain if she talks a little dirty....heheheheh

Old 04-30-2014, 05:50 PM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Gadzooks Robin, this looks like a job for the Cobra Fi2000 !

Seriously, I'm just a Newb but from what I've been reading,, a lot,, you should endeavor to cure the pop. I understand this is most likely due to lean fuel and creates very high temp when it happens.

Last edited by HKMark23; 04-30-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:04 PM
ZenGlide
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My bike has stock air cleaner, slip-ons, and a gutted cat. My slight decel pop was cured with a Xied.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:18 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Decel popping does Not damage your engine...it is simply unburnt fuel that is burning in the exhaust tract after exiting the engine.

Decel popping occurs when one of two things are present.

1. The bike is so lean the exhaust is superheated and is burning the unburnt fuel that is in the pipes (there is always some unburnt fuel in the pipes no matter how lean). This is very rare.

2. The AFR IN THE pipes is just right to burn the unburnt fuel. This is quite a common occurrence when free flowing pipes are installed (whether or not a free flow A/C is installed). It can also occur if there is an exhaust leak that is introducing extra air into the exhaust tract.

Even if you like decel pop, like some of us, it is always a good idea to check for exhaust leaks.

Also, check for intake leaks at the air cleaner and at the intake manifold/heads.

Another way to change the AFR IN THE Pipes is to install Thunder Torque Inserts.

If you don't like decel pop, and don't want to change the AFR in the pipes by changing the baffles or adding Thunder Torque Inserts....

It is absolutely possible for a tuner and someone who knows how to use it to tune the decel pop out.

HOWEVER, the methods used to tune the decel pop out of very open pipes are almost always at the sacrifice of performance and/or MPG.

An open pipe with the best performance tune is almost always going to have decel pop.

XiED's may work also...here is a link to a good overview of tuners-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/ignit...uning-etc.html

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 04-30-2014, 07:27 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Normal condition, if no exhaust leak at front of slipons at clamp area, check for exhaust tracers with a flashlight. Make sure you are closing your throttle completely on decel, if not it, will pop.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:00 AM
SPECIAL ED
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think all Harleys will pop on occasion.My 13 Limited would do it brand new and bone stock.Gutted the cat it still popped but you could hear it more.Added "AC Bombers" you could hear it a little more.Added VIEDs could not completely tune it out,Added stage 1 download still popped,.My 06 Street Bob with a Thunderheader SE intake and DFO. would backfire loudly damn near any time you backed off the throttle.Added SERT and custom built map on a Dyno the loud backfire was cured but it would still pop on decel occasionally.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

A good tuner will tune it out.
I got the same decel popping after installing V&H Headers.
It did annoy the FK out of me and my dyno guy tuned it out.